Enroth

fiftyone

As a powerless fan watching the Sabres, Enroth scares the hell out of me. He's got this unusual style that just isn't comforting. Maybe it's from watching Miller who has nearly perfect butterfly mechanics, but something about watching Enroth just makes me nervous. He seems late on movements sometimes and maybe a little more "jumpy" for lack of a better word. He also seems to stay on his feet more often, or at the very least longer than most goalies. Case in point would be the PP goal on the tipped shot from the point. I realize that shot was starting out high, but 90% of goalies go down there and do end up making the save. Again, not necessarily blaming him for that goal or this game, but just something interesting.

It is kind of like watching Brodeur (no, i'm not comparing Enroth to Brodeur) in that Brodeur doesn't play a normal style. He's got this half butterfly, all over the place style that somehow works even though you find yourself saying that there are holes in him everywhere. I'm sure my feelings on this are exaggerated after the loss tonight, but I'm wondering if anyone else feels this way too.

I think he has to stay on his feet longer then most goalies because of his smaller stature, if he goes down to quickly he is giving away a lot of the top of the net........He uses his excellent reflexes and sweet glove hand to pull this off.......What he needs to do is control his rebounds by either learning to become like velcro or directing the puck into safe areas.

Enroth looks promising. But, let's face it, he was bound to get lit up eventually. He is still a rookie, or at least having only played in a handful of games. Let's also not forget, the Caps are fighting for the top spot in the East. He needs some work and if Miller doesn't play in Carolina, let's at least hope for a point tomorrow.

this topic would have had a lot more credit to it had it been started not on the same night as the kid got lit up by a high scoring team. Someone should post in here about how they want to trade miller cuz enroth is awesome. Seriously though we saw why this kid needs a couple NHL seasons as a back up under his belt. He will rebound just fine and hopefully in time settle in to be a good solid GT

I think he has to stay on his feet longer then most goalies because of his smaller stature, if he goes down to quickly he is giving away a lot of the top of the net........He uses his excellent reflexes and sweet glove hand to pull this off.......What he needs to do is control his rebounds by either learning to become like velcro or directing the puck into safe areas.

It did look like some of the big rebounds were being directed deliberately to teammates.

Yep, a rough game. I'd light up Miller after a night like that, but the standards are obviously different for a 30 year old reigning Vezina winner.

this topic would have had a lot more credit to it had it been started not on the same night as the kid got lit up by a high scoring team. Someone should post in here about how they want to trade miller cuz enroth is awesome. Seriously though we saw why this kid needs a couple NHL seasons as a back up under his belt. He will rebound just fine and hopefully in time settle in to be a good solid GT

I don't think any credit is taken away form this post given it's time of post, it's a valid thought. Enroth is certainly more "scary" to watch play between the pipes for your home team than Miller. I didn't see anyone suggest we trade anyone either. He definitely needs a few more years under his belt but his style is certainly less "professional" looking than Ryan's'. Then again, so was Hasek's. He's a good net minder, and only time will tell if he can make the jump from good to great.

But to sum up my post in a nutshell regarding this thread, yes watching Enroth play is more frightening than Miller, and i credit all of that to his style of play.

I like Enroth, but all these idiots who thought we would not miss Miller just got a heavy dose of reality tonight.

Miller wins tonight? Probably not.

Either goalie needs our defense to be playing elite level for us to have a chance against one of these giant teams. Miller hasn't saved us either in big games, just look at the softy he allowed the last time we played in Carolina.

To put things in perspective:

Enroth showed me more in 2 games then Lalime showed in 3+ years.

Nuff said.

I think the Sabres scored more goals tonight for Enroth than they did in 3 years for Lalime.

But I digress..............B-)

Either goalie needs our defense to be playing elite level for us to have a chance against one of these giant teams. Miller hasn't saved us either in big games, just look at the softy he allowed the last time we played in Carolina.

Softy? (the comment about last goal Miller let up in last Carolina game) We lost 1-0... And Carolina's lone goal was a second chance opportunity where the trailer got the puck, and went and put it in the open side (of the net), while Miller was blocked out (other than that, Miller was perfect).

Is this becoming the excuse thread for those who think (thought?) Enroth should be the starter?? (all that talk is garbage, anyhow..., it's a team game, and the combination of Enroth giving up the rebounds, and the defense not staying at home, as they did against the Rangers...., plus we were playing a far-more offensively potent team than the Rags tonight).

We're in much better shape for having Enroth step-up (thank goodness he's done so!).

But when it's crunch-time... For the best results, it's "in Miller we trust"...

Anyone hear if Miller is going to make the trek to Raleigh??

GO BUFFALO SABRES!!

QFT.

I think Enroth did just fine. It was a big game, his first time doing two-in-a-row in the NHL (unless my memory is failing me). I think he was a little shaky after the first goal, but settled down like the rest of the team after the time-out.

The only goal Miller may have had a better chance on directly(hint, hint: keyword) would be the OT goal. I think only time gives a player the wisdom to anticipate that shot, and I bet Miller would have anticipated that.

Indirectly, I'd say the goal right after Enroth pokes the puck straight out into the slot would not have happened with Miller because, again, Miller being a wiser, older player, would probably not have poked that puck like that.

This game, IMHO, if anyone in particular lost it, it was Gaustad. But, overall, I think they actually were a little stunned to be playing a team with energy. Just like the Leafs game. It took them too long to adjust. Team loss all the way.

LOL When I got home from the bar 30 minutes ago I KNEW this thread would be here. I wasn't sure what it would be titled, but I knew it would be here ready for me to giggle at.

He's a rook. And he got hit for 5 goals against one of the top 3 teams in the conference. And the losing goal was scored off a double deflection by the most dynamic player in the game today. Enroth is fine. A little green, but fine.

LOL When I got home from the bar 30 minutes ago I KNEW this thread would be here. I wasn't sure what it would be titled, but I knew it would be here ready for me to giggle at.

He's a rook. And he got hit for 5 goals against one of the top 3 teams in the conference. And the losing goal was scored off a double deflection by the most dynamic player in the game today. Enroth is fine. A little green, but fine.

Miller is the better goalie, just not $5.4 million better. I would have no problem going into next season with Enroth as the #1 goalie if the $5 mil in savings went towards adding a couple top six forwards and a D-man to QB the power-play.

Miller is the better goalie, just not $5.4 million better. I would have no problem going into next season with Enroth as the #1 goalie if the $5 mil in savings went towards adding a couple top six forwards and a D-man to QB the power-play.

I would probably agree with this, too. That $$ could be the difference between us getting Brad Richards and us getting a washed up Vaclav Prospal, or Todd White.

Tonight Enroth gave up big rebounds on some shots that Miller would have "swallowed up" with no rebound. The second and fourth goals were big examples of this. Actually, the second was more of him batting it out to the point instead of playing it cool. Even Joe Bennanti, the Caps announcer said the fourth goal came off of a rebound that was way juicier than it should have been.

Bottom line: Enroth is a bright young talent with a great future, but he needs 2-3 years in Portland or as Millers back-up before he will begin to reach his potential.

Can Enroth win against Carolina? I think yes!

Does a healthy Miller have a better shot at winning in Raleigh? Depends on how healthy he really is. I gotta feeling Ryan just flew into Raleigh a couple of hours ago. But that's just a feeling :)

none of the goals were really enroths fault.

I got a little chuckle out of this.

Actually, Enroth played quite nicely though.

It wasn't so much Enroth as it was the team infront him. I like this kid between the piple. Yes he has some learning to do, but remember, Miller didn't take over full time duty until he was 25, Enroth is only 22.

We got a point, that good for us. But we should have gotten 2. And that's not on Enroth. I saw atleast 3 scoring opportunities the Sabres botched. Not the way you want to end a game, but life goes on.

That was a short honeymoon. You mean we aren't shopping that has-been old goalie Miller anymore?

PTR

Right, never mind the high stick goose took with less than two minutes in the game to give the caps a 6 on 4 - or that Ovechkin was left wide open in OT (who then had his shot bounce off of Pominville's stick and Sekera's skate before getting by Enroth).

QFT.

I think Enroth did just fine. It was a big game, his first time doing two-in-a-row in the NHL (unless my memory is failing me). I think he was a little shaky after the first goal, but settled down like the rest of the team after the time-out.

The only goal Miller may have had a better chance on directly(hint, hint: keyword) would be the OT goal. I think only time gives a player the wisdom to anticipate that shot, and I bet Miller would have anticipated that.

Indirectly, I'd say the goal right after Enroth pokes the puck straight out into the slot would not have happened with Miller because, again, Miller being a wiser, older player, would probably not have poked that puck like that.

This game, IMHO, if anyone in particular lost it, it was Gaustad. But, overall, I think they actually were a little stunned to be playing a team with energy. Just like the Leafs game. It took them too long to adjust. Team loss all the way.

FWIW the dman tying up the man in front of the net kicked it back into the slot. Take a second look at that play because I thought the same thing. Enroth was trying to pull it back with his stick and montador (?) Kicked it while tying up the screener...

Archived