The best thing about the Run to #1?

deluca67

Is that the Sabres can only win and the Sens only lose. The Sabres came from nowhere anything they gain will be gravy. The Sens are supposed to be #1. What a huge letdown it would be not to win the division for them. If the Sens finish #2? It would almost certainly be a prelude to a first round exit.

Is that the Sabres can only win and the Sens only lose. The Sabres came from nowhere anything they gain will be gravy. The Sens are supposed to be #1. What a huge letdown it would be not to win the division for them. If the Sens finish #2? It would almost certainly be a prelude to a first round exit.

Not necessarily. It might actually be the best thing that could happen to them. Getting beat out in the regular season may be what they need to get their act together come playoff time.

I'm not saying finishing 4th in the conf. will send the Otters to victory, just saying on a team that seems to have problems motivating itself in the playoffs (granted, under a different coach) that might be a wakeup call for them.

For Buffalo, finishing 1st may or may not be a good thing. If finishing 4th means Philly and finishing 1st means Montreal, I'd prefer 4th. If finishing 4th means NJ and finishing 1st means TB, I definitely want #1.

November 12: Buffalo was 10 points back... And Ottawa had two games in hand!

They were the class of the league. Yet, not one, but two teams have caught up to them. While I can't speak for the Hurricanes, the Sabres did it in spite of numerous injuries.

The regular season isn't over, but already I hear gagging sounds coming from somewhere between Montreal and Algonquin Park...

For Buffalo, finishing 1st may or may not be a good thing. If finishing 4th means Philly and finishing 1st means Montreal, I'd prefer 4th. If finishing 4th means NJ and finishing 1st means TB, I definitely want #1.

DaveB -- I must disagree. I am looking for 16 wins in the playoffs this year, and that will be facilitated by a higher seeding, and made more difficult by a lower seeding. This is because of who we would play in the 2nd round. I think it's almost certain that the top 2 seeds will be Carolina and either us or Ottawa, with the 3rd seed being the rangers. Accordingly, the #4 seed will be either us or Ottawa.

If we are #2, we would play the #3 seed (Rangers) in the 2nd round. If we are #4, that means Carolina and Ottawa are #1 and #2 (in either order). We would play the #1 seed in the 2nd round. Then, if we managed to get by the #1 seed in the 2nd round, waiting for us in the conference finals would be the #2 seed -- ie whichever one of Carolina or Ottawa finished #2.

In other words, if we finish #2, we only have to play one, but not both, of Carolina and Ottawa. They would play each other in the 2nd round and we would get the winner in the conference finals. If we finish #4, we have to play them both. Although I think we are capable of beating them both, I also think each of them is capable of beating us, so I'd greatly prefer to limit our risk.

Of course, either of them could be upset before we had to play them, but they (along with us) just seem to be head and shoulders better than the rest of the conference. I have a hard time seeing either of them losing to NJ/Philly/Montreal/Tampa/Atlanta.

Go Sabres.

DaveB -- I must disagree. I am looking for 16 wins in the playoffs this year, and that will be facilitated by a higher seeding, and made more difficult by a lower seeding. This is because of who we would play in the 2nd round. I think it's almost certain that the top 2 seeds will be Carolina and either us or Ottawa, with the 3rd seed being the rangers. Accordingly, the #4 seed will be either us or Ottawa.

If we are #2, we would play the #3 seed (Rangers) in the 2nd round. If we are #4, that means Carolina and Ottawa are #1 and #2 (in either order). We would play the #1 seed in the 2nd round. Then, if we managed to get by the #1 seed in the 2nd round, waiting for us in the conference finals would be the #2 seed -- ie whichever one of Carolina or Ottawa finished #2.

In other words, if we finish #2, we only have to play one, but not both, of Carolina and Ottawa. They would play each other in the 2nd round and we would get the winner in the conference finals. If we finish #4, we have to play them both. Although I think we are capable of beating them both, I also think each of them is capable of beating us, so I'd greatly prefer to limit our risk.

Of course, either of them could be upset before we had to play them, but they (along with us) just seem to be head and shoulders better than the rest of the conference. I have a hard time seeing either of them losing to NJ/Philly/Montreal/Tampa/Atlanta.

Go Sabres.

N, your point is valid. I think upsets are more likely than you do though. In the last 10 seasons, there have only been 2 seasons where there were no 1st round upsets in the East and only 1 in the West. There were 3 seasons with 3 1st round upsets in the East.

If the Atlantic winner is the upset victim, then finishing 1st in the division only matters (as far as avoiding both Carolina and Ottawa) if the Sabres win the conference as 2 would play 4 in the next round. If either Carolina or Ottawa go down in the 1st round, then Buffalo doesn't have to play the other one in round 2 as Buffalo would either play the Atlantic winner (if they survive the 1st round) or would host #6.

With Ryan's past playoff history and the very real possibility that Carolina could be ripe for an upset due to Cole's absense; I would prefer the Sabres get a team they matchup well against in the 1st round and then deal with what happens later when (if) it happens, rather than worry about round 2 before the Sabres have won round 1. If (and I expect they will) the Sabres get past round 1, it is very likely that my concerns about Ryan will have been alleviated, and I would feel very comfortable going against the Canes. I don't know that I'd be comfortable going against the Sens, but if they are healthy we have to assume the Sabres have to play them at some point to get to the Finals (hopefully Buffalo doesn't have to play them, but until they are gone I am assuming Buffalo will have to play them.)

Also, finishing with the #4 seed could be better for this team from an expectations standpoint. (I'm not saying it will be better, I'm just playing devil's advocate.) Coming in at 4 (or 2 even), the Sabres can still view themselves as a Rodney Dangerfield type of team. If they are #1, for the 1st time this season they will be the hunted instead of the hunter. I'm not saying that the pressure of being the "favorite" would get to them, I just don't know how they will react to it.

With all that said, without knowing how the rest of the seeds fall, I am hoping the Sabres end up with the President's Trophy.

Of the potential 4 bottom teams in the conference playoffs, Montreal is looking the most dangerous.

my bad...i was referring to the east conference only.

ok so in 99, the 4, 6, 7, 8 seeds won in the first round. that's why it's hard for me to root for anything other than the sabres playing better defense from here out and staying healthy.

Archived