#2 rank on ESPN

Larry Playfair

Gotta love the opening line...

"Lindy Ruff's crew is hotter than those suicide wings at Duff's (you locals know what we're talkin' about!) as the Sabres have won seven straight games and are in a tight battle for the Northeast Division lead (and important playoff positioning) with the Ottawa Senators."

# 2 in the latest PR... http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/powerranking

Edit: They just changed it to:

Buffalo settled its glove triangle and continues to steamroll in March. The Sabres have won seven straight AND have scored at least six goals in five of those contests. And how scary is it that Sabres fans outnumbered those brave Caps followers in D.C. on Tuesday night?

I loved the duffs comment!

Buffalo settled its glove triangle and continues to steamroll in March. The Sabres have won seven straight AND have scored at least six goals in five of those contests. And how scary is it that Sabres fans outnumbered those brave Caps followers in D.C. on Tuesday night?

And how scary is it that Sabres fans outnumbered those brave Caps followers in D.C. on Tuesday night?

I live out of town and was watching the OLN broadcast on the dish. I saw the sabres in White Uni's and heard the crowd after the first Brier goal and had to do a double take to make sure we were away. The Sabres fans were definitely out in force. Now THAT is awesome.

I live out of town and was watching the OLN broadcast on the dish. I saw the sabres in White Uni's and heard the crowd after the first Brier goal and had to do a double take to make sure we were away. The Sabres fans were definitely out in force. Now THAT is awesome.

It's not new. The Caps draw horribly, and there are tons of Buffalonians in that area. Example of how poorly the Caps draw: During the 1998 playoffs, I had 30 tickets to a first-round game, given to me about two hours before gametime by a friend who worked in the promo department of the supermarket chain the Caps were linked with at the time. I didn't even try to sell them; I tried to give them away outside the arena and in the subway stations to folks with kids. Couldn't. Left most of them on top of a Washington Post box outside the MCICenter and watched the game with about 9000-10,000 others. Half-filled, for the playoffs. The next round, the Caps filled the arena about 3/4 of the way. The semis against Buffalo, it finally was full, and tix to the finals against Detroit were impossible to get--but (read on) that may be due to the Detroit crowd.

It's too bad, because it's a great game and a large--and terrific--city. But it's a large city populated by people from elsewhere. Pens, Sabres, Flyers, Wings, and Rangers games always had good crowds with lots of away-team fans. But Caps v. Tampa? Let's just say there wouldn't be a huge line at the beer stand.

Gotta love the opening line...

"Lindy Ruff's crew is hotter than those suicide wings at Duff's (you locals know what we're talkin' about!) as the Sabres have won seven straight games and are in a tight battle for the Northeast Division lead (and important playoff positioning) with the Ottawa Senators."

# 2 in the latest PR... http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/powerranking

Edit: They just changed it to:

I loved the duffs comment!

Finally someone giving Duffs props. Duffs blows Anchor Bar away.

Oh yeah, the Sabres are good too ;)

ESPN has them second and CBS...just another week of winning and voila!

They're already being picked to win it all as a dark horse which I have to say, is exciting.

http://www.sportsline.com/nhl/story/9310230

And no one mentioned this but Zhitnik is out for the rest of the season with an ankle injury, meh, just thought I'd mention that. Sure did work out for him and Miro. :lol:

ESPN has them second and CBS...just another week of winning and voila!

They're already being picked to win it all as a dark horse which I have to say, is exciting.

http://www.sportsline.com/nhl/story/9310230

And no one mentioned this but Zhitnik is out for the rest of the season with an ankle injury, meh, just thought I'd mention that. Sure did work out for him and Miro. :lol:

party like its 1999!

monkey - whats the connection w brazil? my good friend teaches in brasilia, and i visited there and rio last year. kick ass place.

CNNSI has us at #4, with this little nugget:

Despite not potting a goal until his 15th game, Thomas Vanek on Tuesday became the 11th Buffalo rookie to score 20 goals in a season. The Sabres, who are 13-1-2 in their last 16, have won 39 -- the most after 60 games in team history. Some say Ottawa; others say Carolina or the Rangers. But I'm picking Buffalo to come out of the East.

Yeah, baby.

It's nice that they are finally getting some attention. The crowd in DC was fantastic - no question.

As for comments about the lack of support in DC for the Caps - it is so true. I lived in DC for two years for grad school and I have to say that I thought that the notion that DC is a good sports town is overblown...even for the 'Skins which is the only team that everyone cares about down there...they don't tailgate...fans arrive late to the games (I'm talking football not baseball). I went to several Caps/Sabres games at MCI - once was told by a Caps fan that since I live there I shoul be a Caps fan - he complained that there were too many people from outside the area that root for their teams...THATS THE POINT OF BEING A FAN - I told him - he just didn't get it. As if by moving to Miami I should become a Dolphins fan or Toronto and and Leafs fan - is he nuts?

It's nice that they are finally getting some attention. The crowd in DC was fantastic - no question.

As for comments about the lack of support in DC for the Caps - it is so true. I lived in DC for two years for grad school and I have to say that I thought that the notion that DC is a good sports town is overblown...even for the 'Skins which is the only team that everyone cares about down there...they don't tailgate...fans arrive late to the games (I'm talking football not baseball). I went to several Caps/Sabres games at MCI - once was told by a Caps fan that since I live there I shoul be a Caps fan - he complained that there were too many people from outside the area that root for their teams...THATS THE POINT OF BEING A FAN - I told him - he just didn't get it. As if by moving to Miami I should become a Dolphins fan or Toronto and and Leafs fan - is he nuts?

I'm in the Coast Guard and have lived in several different cities. I always get someone who says, "Why aren't you a (hometown team) fan? How can you be a Buffalo fan?" My response is always, "If you moved away from (your city), would you still be a fan of (your city's team)?" They always respond affirmatively. Then I give them, "The Look", and it sinks in for them. Some people just don't get it!

monkey - whats the connection w brazil? my good friend teaches in brasilia, and i visited there and rio last year. kick ass place.

I was born there, in a city in the state of Sao Paulo....not the city itself that has like 20 million people.

I've never been to Rio and I dont really plan on it, I know enough about it. The favelas, or slums, are a big problem because of the gap between rich and poor so it isn't exactly the safest place to be, although Brazilians are the friendliest people in the world.

In conclusion, we have the best soccer players in the world and in three months, we will prove it again, and it we don't, that's ok because we still have Gisele Bundchen, and me, woohooo!!! B-)

Brasilia looks like a cool place in the center, never been there. I've been Americanized (although I hate openly admit such a thing) :ph34r: , and

Sabre-ized.

Archived