"First game back"

PASabreFan

I can't tell you how many times I've heard someone say in the last few days how tough the first game home is after a long road trip. And it might be league wide -- but it doesn't show up during the Ruff Era.

I looked it up. The Sabres, under Ruff, are now 17-8-1 in the first game back after a road trip of four games or more. To put that in perspective, that extrapolates to a 55-point home record for a season. The most points a Lindy Ruff team has ever accumulated during a home season is 59.

Disclaimer: this post in no way is indicative of Lindy Ruff's ability as a head coach.

I can't tell you how many times I've heard someone say in the last few days how tough the first game home is after a long road trip. And it might be league wide -- but it doesn't show up during the Ruff Era.

I looked it up. The Sabres, under Ruff, are now 17-8-1 in the first game back after a road trip of four games or more. To put that in perspective, that extrapolates to a 55-point home record for a season. The most points a Lindy Ruff team has ever accumulated during a home season is 59.

Disclaimer: this post in no way is indicative of Lindy Ruff's ability as a head coach.

Well look at you doing research to back up your point. Posters boardwide take note!

So you're saying there was a good chance we were gonna win the Toronto game.

Did you happen to look up their record in all other home games during his time here?

Yeah from the way PA phrased it the stats would seem to say that they royally suck for any home game that wasn't the first game back from a roadie.

Yeah from the way PA phrased it the stats would seem to say that they royally suck for any home game that wasn't the first game back from a roadie.

That sentence really doesn't say anything. If we're going to try to shoot down this idea, the only valid comparison is games after a long road trip vs. all other home games.

That sentence really doesn't say anything. If we're going to try to shoot down this idea, the only valid comparison is games after a long road trip vs. all other home games.

Uh, that's why I tried to put it in perspective. Sure looks like the Sabres' record in "first games back" is better than their record in all other home games. I just found that interesting.

yeah you're right. I somehow read it as they only accumulating four more points all season after returning home games when it really means they are on pace to match the season high in games after a road trip.

A simpler way of looking at it is this: if you played a whole home season comprised only of single games following long road trips, would you expect them to have 55 points?

This is starting to sound like an SAT question.:)

A simpler way of looking at it is this: if you played a whole home season comprised only of single games following long road trips, would you expect them to have 55 points?

The problem is that when you mentioned that single season home record, that includes those first game back after a long road trip. If they do in fact do worse in that first game back, the single season home record is hurt by those games. You can't compare two numbers when one is a part of the other.

Any analysis for how a team does in its 2nd game back after a long roadie? :D

Archived