Whats the difference?

Guest Dumont17

Guest Dumont17

what is the difference now? All the big name clubs are still getting the markee players, like philly and toronto(granted some are getting up there in age) and small market teams are signing career 4th liners. Today after the leafs loaded up on jason allison and jeff o'neill they got eric lindros, to whom may not sound that great, but when healthy is a boat load better than what we have got. Yet we are saved, because we lost satan and zhitnik and are ok with yet, another amazing off-season by thegreat Darcy Regier.

what is the difference now? All the big name clubs are still getting the markee players, like philly and toronto(granted some are getting up there in age) and small market teams are signing career 4th liners. Today after the leafs loaded up on jason allison and jeff o'neill they got eric lindros, to whom may not sound that great, but when healthy is a boat load better than what we have got. Yet we are saved, because we lost satan and zhitnik and are ok with yet, another amazing off-season by thegreat Darcy Regier.

Don't forget the moves of 3 other small market teams (Edmonton Nashville and Atlanta) made. They actually did something.

Guest BeeefCAKE

Golisano doesn't understand Buffalo fans, Quinn is a stooge, and Darcy is scared to be the first to do something. If Golisano had someone who knew the area present him a financial projection of what signing a few studs would do for attendance, he would green light it.

If we signed, say Forseburg for $5.3 million, Khabibulin for $6 million and then could trade Miller and Biron for 2 very good defensemen, this city would go apesh!t. We would have a payroll of $34 million, about 6 over last year. How do you recoup $6 million......how about through the extra 3,000-4,000 season tickets that would be sold when everyone sees we are trying to win a cup. We would have the first 10 games sold out due to anticipation, add in the parking, concessions, jerseys, and how about the 3-20 playoff games we would get without having to pay the players an extra cent. It takes 10 minutes of financial analysis to realize you would make more money this way.

This year was a one time shot, a roster reset, and we have blown it.

I don't exactly know if I'd consider Jason Allison and Eric Lindros "loading-up".

Unless by loading up you meaning overrated players. Then yes, the Leafs are "loading up".

And this was not a one year shot. What about next year, when we'll still have $8-$10 million in cap space with better Free Agents?

Guest Repster
I don't exactly know if I'd consider Jason Allison and Eric Lindros "loading-up".

Unless by loading up you meaning overrated players. Then yes, the Leafs are "loading up".

And this was not a one year shot. What about next year, when we'll still have $8-$10 million in cap space with better Free Agents?

Waiting for even better UFAs next year because the age is going to drop to 29 would be nice but the only problem is that these players that are presently RFA's are signing long term deals so they won't be available next year. Look at Thornton with Boston - 3 year deal. Lecavalier is close to signing a multi-year deal with Tampa again, see tsn.ca - and at a lower price to ensure guys like St. Louis can stick around as well. So the whole concept that Darcy is trying to sell that we will have more cap room next year compared to other teams to get UFAs is blowing up in his face. His cautious approach has burned him again.

Just like I said early on in this free-agent frenzy, all these UFA's next year, won't be there. Their teams are trying to sign them to multi-year deals. All this patience is for not.

And, like I said earlier, who in their right mind will come to Buffalo so they can lose? Darcy has sent a message to every player in the league that says, come to Buffalo and you'll get an early vacation come spring.

How many times have you heard in pro-sports that the spirit and essence of the players on the field or ice comes from the influence of the coach and management?

Expect a timid, sit-back and weak team in Buffalo. I bet every one of those players plays just hard enough to get noticed by teams who they'd like to go to.

Brendan Witt and Roman Hamrlik have already turned down Buffalo. They don't want to be losers either.

It's tough to be a Sabres fan these days.

I hate to say it, but I have to agree with you. There isn't too much of a draw to come to Buffalo. Getting bigger named players htrough trades is one thing, but few if any big name free agents want to sign with the Sabres. Even if Buffalo offered millions more to Forsberg or Neidermayer or Rafalski, they probably still wouldn't have signed with Buf. That's just they way things are until they put a winning team on the ice and management shows that they WANT to win.

They both said they didn't want to play on non-play-off teams. Hamrlik said he'd been contacted by several and he turned them down. Although, if they have to wait much longer, they are gonna have to take what they can get.

Witt would be the better choice by far. He could pick this team up.

Guest Big Papa in C-town

being in cleveland i completely understand, but looking at the indians after being told for 3 years wait till 2005 for us to compete, i was disheartened by the pickups the tribe made (Millwood, Gonzalez, Hernandez, Cora)...heck, after seeing the success the bisons were having i wanted to be moved to the IL...but, look now, this team is picking up steam at a fraction of the yankees payroll...hopefully this is the same thought going on in the heads of regeir and quinn...but i say this, not going to games will not help the situation, i don't think that the money for tickets will be going into rigas' pocket and not into the team....empty seats mean relocation...then they'll find the money to compete a la Quebec...

Did anyone see Jeff Liefer's Grand Slam last night? You guys must be missing him, especially since you were saddled with Ludwick...

Guest Sabresfansincestart

First off all of you people who think darcy is a screw up don't know sports. Do you not think he is given a budget within to act by upper management. Do you think he can just free wheel and deal and ignore what ever the owners say????? You don't know Jack then.....Secondly the people who think spending more money means winning well when philadelphia loses then we will see who is right. Not to mention Forsberg or other players will not gel for the chemistry of the team. Next year Buffalo will be a better team and waiting is all we can do. Darcy will not pull the trigger cannot pull the trigger and is not allowed to pull the trigger so get that through your thick sculls and consentrate on the future. As for sabres drafting(pew ewe) it stinks but we will wait and see policy is the best this town as sabre fans can support as leaf fans line up for a losing team and buffalo has empty seats no matter what then what do you expect. Shame on you Sabre Fans support your team!

Guest Excuse Me
First off all of you people who think darcy is a screw up don't know sports. Do you not think he is given a budget within to act by upper management. Do you think he can just free wheel and deal and ignore what ever the owners say????? You don't know Jack then.....Secondly the people who think spending more money means winning well when philadelphia loses then we will see who is right. Not to mention Forsberg or other players will not gel for the chemistry of the team. Next year Buffalo will be a better team and waiting is all we can do. Darcy will not pull the trigger cannot pull the trigger and is not allowed to pull the trigger so get that through your thick sculls and consentrate on the future. As for sabres drafting(pew ewe) it stinks but we will wait and see policy is the best this town as sabre fans can support as leaf fans line up for a losing team and buffalo has empty seats no matter what then what do you expect. Shame on you Sabre Fans support your team!

Am I reading that correctly? Sabres fans art? Do you know Art Wander? Is he your uncle? I'm sorry about the groping, but Art is a good guy otherwise.

If Darcy went to the track with Robitaille, he'd bet $2 to show on every race. I am all for patience in the right circumstance, but this isn't it. Have fun with your fellow 6,000 Sabres fans on a Wednesday night at the arena.

Archived