"I ain't goin' nowhere." -Ruff

Doohickie

Per Hockey Night in Canada. They interviewed Pegula before the game and he said "Lindy Ruff ain't goin' nowhere." At the start of the third, HNIC broadcasters said they asked Lindy Ruff what he thought, and he said, "To use Terry Pegula's words, I ain't goin' nowhere."

Very good news indeed.

Darcy's been a eunych since Day One. It's pretty pathetic.

Do you think he has any more power today? I'd like to overhear the conversation where Darcy goes to Terry after the Sabres miss the playoffs for the sixth time in nine years and tells him he wants to change coaches.

I'd love to see that conversation too, as Terry has to be taken by ECMC to the hospital from Literally splitting his sides open laughing so hard.

Its hilarious that there are fans here that think Ruff is the problem, and yet they will give Regier more and more chances to do absolutly nothing. Ruff is responsible for not making the playoffs 6 time in 9 years, yet Regier is still left with control of the team????? A coach can only do so much with what he is given, and I would say Lindy has done a good job polishing the turds that Regier gives him to work with.

The guy keeps resigning Connolly to bigger deals, and his biggest FA acquisitions are over the hills like Niedermeyer year after year, yet we blame the coach for not making them Stanley Cup contenders?

I'm as negative as anyone and I think this is great news.

I agree and I'll admit that I fit the negative mold as well but negativity looking for improvement. Always looking to improve like the true contenders. Always looking for growth. If thats being negative, well so be it. I'll accept that title and wear it with pride. Of course I don't ignore the positives its just there's always room for improvement.

I'd love to see that conversation too, as Terry has to be taken by ECMC to the hospital from Literally splitting his sides open laughing so hard.

Its hilarious that there are fans here that think Ruff is the problem, and yet they will give Regier more and more chances to do absolutly nothing. Ruff is responsible for not making the playoffs 6 time in 9 years, yet Regier is still left with control of the team????? A coach can only do so much with what he is given, and I would say Lindy has done a good job polishing the turds that Regier gives him to work with.

The guy keeps resigning Connolly to bigger deals, and his biggest FA acquisitions are over the hills like Niedermeyer year after year, yet we blame the coach for not making them Stanley Cup contenders?

Agreed 100% :thumbsup:

That's kind of personal don't ya think. Better take that to PM...

No, I just meant that I hadn't gone since Tuesday. When I read his post and saw my name, I started to percolate. So I printed it out and took it to my luxury box. Without that post, I'd probably still be chasing my prune juice with a half dozen Colace.

Why are we together?

I wonder what Darcy thinks about all this? Doesn't the GM get to hire his coach?

But, hey, whatever. Lindy's 49th honeymoon too shall pass.

I'm feeling a little woozy myself.

Don't forget about me. :sick:

d

Shame, was just starting to feel a little optimistic about this team.

Boys -- do you really not think they look well-coached?

I think they've looked good-to-terrific for a solid two-and-a-half months.

I think PA toes the line between cautious optimist, pessimist and Devil's Advocate.

well said.

Darcy's been a eunych since Day One. It's pretty pathetic.

Do you think he has any more power today? I'd like to overhear the conversation where Darcy goes to Terry after the Sabres miss the playoffs for the sixth time in nine years and tells him he wants to change coaches.

Geez. It would be pretty easy to infer from this delightful comment that you'd like them to miss the playoffs this year.

If Ruff ain't going nowhere - that means he's going somewhere... correct?

That is an amazing avatar.

Kristian commentary regarding Ruff: Clueless

I thank ye Hockey Gods that fans have no say in the direction and decisions of their teams.

You're right, there's a reason Ruff isn't the only head coach with a 13 year tenure.... Oh, wait.....

Could this possibly mean that the vast majority of people who actually manage hockey teams for a living believe keeping the same coach around for 10+ years, is a bad idea?

You are indeed correct "Thank ye Hockey Gods that fans have no say in the direction and decisions of their teams". Too bad they indirectly made the decisions of keeping Ruff and Darcy around for all these years, by continuing to pour money into TG's pockets.

This team won't win anything with Ruff behind the bench - He's the personification of the Sabres organisation of times gone by - Mediocre, and loved by fans for being just that.

You're right, there's a reason Ruff isn't the only head coach with a 13 year tenure.... Oh, wait.....

Could this possibly mean that the vast majority of people who actually manage hockey teams for a living believe keeping the same coach around for 10+ years, is a bad idea?

You are indeed correct "Thank ye Hockey Gods that fans have no say in the direction and decisions of their teams". Too bad they indirectly made the decisions of keeping Ruff and Darcy around for all these years, by continuing to pour money into TG's pockets.

This team won't win anything with Ruff behind the bench - He's the personification of the Sabres organisation of times gone by - Mediocre, and loved by fans for being just that.

And how do you feel about Darcy?

Darcy is certainly as much part a of the problem as Ruff is.

But to say Ruff has only had garbage to work with, well I don't really agree with that.

I think most people would agree, the Sabres roster the past 3 years has been pretty strong on talent?

Guys like Roy, Pominville, Vanek, Connolly, Stafford, Ennis, Myers, Sekera, Miller definitely have talent. Some of them may not have developed as hoped, and some may be 2nd line talent playing as 1st liners, but there's always been something to work with.

The roster doesn't lack talent, it lacks character.

The resigning of Connolly was atrocious, no argument there.

Who? Who? Who? with the team we have, even if Uncle Terry brings in a couple of huge FA signings, there is no way a rookie head coach can bring the cup home. So the next question is, "Who?". I can't think of another expirienced, available coach who's better in the playoffs than Lindy, and it's the Playoffs that matter. We can complain about the missed years and last year's diasaster, but if you look at his overall record, Lindy is a Monster in May. He's been to the finals once, and was a skin infection away from going a second time. He developed the system of winning with mediocre players around Hasek, he developed the winning system post Lockout, and now he's built a winner in the post-post Lockout era. Hasek Leaving caused the team to have to rebuild. Briere and Drury and Campbell caused him to retool again. None of these occurances can be traced back to his work as a coach. In fact, He's rebuilt/redesigned the team in less than 3 season, TWICE! We could be the Isles and looking to rebuild for 25 years. Now that TG is gone, I don't see the rug being pulled out from under Ruff, so we've got what we need to build an honest long term contender.

You will never get some people on here to understand that he is one of the best coaches in hockey. These are the same people who simultaneously say how much our players suck but Ruff is then supposed to polish these turds. Ask anyone who doesnt listen to WGR and they will confirm this. I believe TSN and NHL network were drooling over the prospect as Ruff as a free agent coach bc many teams would salivate at the opportunity.

It's hard to believe posters were calling out negative nannies and didn't even mention the worst (ok worst is the wrong word, I do like reading the other side of the fence sometimes) of them all. I hope you are eating your words about this bolded line. During the HNIC broadcast they mentioned how with this years free agency, Ruff might be the biggest free agent on the market if he so chooses to leave this organization.

Who? Who? Who? with the team we have, even if Uncle Terry brings in a couple of huge FA signings, there is no way a rookie head coach can bring the cup home. So the next question is, "Who?". I can't think of another expirienced, available coach who's better in the playoffs than Lindy, and it's the Playoffs that matter. We can complain about the missed years and last year's diasaster, but if you look at his overall record, Lindy is a Monster in May. He's been to the finals once, and was a skin infection away from going a second time. He developed the system of winning with mediocre players around Hasek, he developed the winning system post Lockout, and now he's built a winner in the post-post Lockout era. Hasek Leaving caused the team to have to rebuild. Briere and Drury and Campbell caused him to retool again. None of these occurances can be traced back to his work as a coach. In fact, He's rebuilt/redesigned the team in less than 3 season, TWICE! We could be the Isles and looking to rebuild for 25 years. Now that TG is gone, I don't see the rug being pulled out from under Ruff, so we've got what we need to build an honest long term contender.

Yes. Thank you.

Oh yes, the gift that keeps on giving -- debating Lindy and Darcy. Thanks Terry.

Wonder how long mediocre management would have lasted in his company if it was apparent they weren't contributing to his future fortune?

Of course, if you assume they are mediocre, you sort of assume away the whole debate over whether they are mediocre, innit?

I have been a hockey fan for a pretty long time. I have seen teams with more talent and worse coaching/managing win the cup... Devils, Calgary just to name a cple. When the players have something to play for ( a paycheck cuz you know most of these guys are gone...)they seem to do better. TG didn't give them anything to play for. TP does so has it always been Lindy? Heh!! It doesn't matter because the trolls will be out even when the Sabres win Lord Stanley's Trophy!

Archived