OLN Broadcast of the Game

Taro T

I still prefer the MSG broadcast. I think the camera work is much better with MSG and you gotta love the announcers! :D

But you are right, I've seen A LOT worse.

You'll get no argument here on that point.

My comment was more directed at the comments I've heard about OLN's broadcast being pretty poor in general. While I agree the graphics are straight out of 1986 (which isn't necessarily a bad thing as some of the ESPN / FOX type graphics can get too busy), I think the announcers have been good, and the camera angles haven't been nearly as bad as I've seen on some other broadcasts.

My only complaint to this point was running a 2 minute interview with the Caps GM during play and having the game occupy only about 60% of the screen. (Flashbacks to the Bruschi game on ESBN.)

i'm not complaining... There's been a lot of patriotesque man love for the buffalo sabres... The actual announcing has been pretty unbiased too. The camera work sucks, but that might just be because its the capitals guys running the house cameras. they could have made ovechkin=bruschi, but they haven't, which is good.

I feel the exact opposite. I can't stand OLN's announcers. Darren Eliot as color analyst is about as good as he was as goaltender for the Buffalo Sabres in 88-89. http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php3?pid=1554

I guess it could be worse. I didn't think it would bother me, but it really took away from my enjoyment. God help us if Jeanneret retires or is unable to do games anytime soon.

I feel the exact opposite. I can't stand OLN's announcers. Darren Eliot as color analyst is about as good as he was as goaltender for the Buffalo Sabres in 88-89. http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php3?pid=1554

I guess it could be worse. I didn't think it would bother me, but it really took away from my enjoyment. God help us if Jeanneret retires or is unable to do games anytime soon.

Eliot doesn't bother me. I've watched a bunch of Thrasher games this year and I guess I've gotten used to him.

Getting ready to watch the OLN late game I figured out why people say the OLN announcers are terrible. Fat little Kenny (my dad's an announcer so you have to hire me) Albert is there next to Neil Smith. Smith I can take or leave, but Albert is HORRIBLE. He is worse than Skip Carey. (What is it about the kids of bad announcers raising the awfulness bar light years worse their fathers could ever hope to be.)

I couldn't stand the OLN coverage tonight. I thought the interview with the Washington GM during the middle of the action just seemed to go on forever. But to top it off they went to the split screen making the actual game harder to watch. Do we really have to look at him while we listen to his useless drabble about a team that is one of the worst in the league??

I also found that the play by play guy was really trying way too hard to throw in those catchy Sports Center euphemisms every chance he got. At least the rest of the country got to see what this team is made of finally, oh wait it was on OLN, nevermind.

I wish OLN would just bite the bullet and lure Gary Thorne away from ESPN...take Clement, who's homosexually awkward as a studio host and put him back with Thorne doing the games. They obviously weren't the best researchers prior to the games, but at least they called the games instead of talking about random BS over the play....and for some reason, whenever Thorne-Clement did a Sabres game I got pumped because i just FELT like it was important.

I dont have a huge problem with OLN, just get an announcer on every game they do that has a little bit of passion or enthusiasm...i dont care for Emerick, but if they can't get Thorne, Sam Rosen is fine by me.

I couldn't stand the OLN coverage tonight. I thought the interview with the Washington GM during the middle of the action just seemed to go on forever. But to top it off they went to the split screen making the actual game harder to watch. Do we really have to look at him while we listen to his useless drabble about a team that is one of the worst in the league??

I also found that the play by play guy was really trying way too hard to throw in those catchy Sports Center euphemisms every chance he got. At least the rest of the country got to see what this team is made of finally, oh wait it was on OLN, nevermind.

Yeah, what the hell is a "manpower advantage"? Are they sponsered by the headhunting firm or something (even if they are, it's still cheesy)?

Also, before the split-screen interview, the announcers/on-ice reporter went for two full minutes of game time talking about Ovechkin while the Sabres are on the power play...Excuse me, while the Sabres were on a "manpower advantage".

The announcer for last night's game was Joe Beninotti, who is the Comcast Sports Net announcer for all Capitals games. Surprisingly from the highlights I saw, he wasn't acting like a homer. He sucks either way, but he wasn't being a homer on the national broadcast, so I've got to give him that.

lol i agree with most people here. And seriously, wtf is up with the scoreboard on OLN on the bottom of the screen?? The scoreboard is on the ICE! There is a reason why EVERY channel in the world that covers hockey has the scoreboard up top, so people can view the ICE.

There were times you couldn't see the guy on the point on powerplays due to the scoreboard. For Sabres, i always could tell, but sometimes wasn't sure what # washington guy on the point, and when i watch hockey, i kinda wanna know who is on the ice. So that really bugged me.

I think the score on the bottom of the screen is very distracting. Also agree that the interview with Mcphee was way too long with the split screen.

I know we are spoiled with RJ, but manpower advantage? Just weird.

Archived