Marty Biron, man

PASabreFan

It's funny, but I've always given Marty Biron a hard time. I don't know how many times he's been the butt of my jokes. Maybe it's the name -- "Marty" or his almost childlike-personality. He's like the ever-annoying little brother who is hanging around too much. Talking too much. Thinking he can play with the big boys. Getting his chance but playing like a kid. Trying too hard. When I was reminded recently that Marty was drafted in 1995, I couldn't believe it. To me, the guy is still 18.

But there he was yesterday, in the Sabres lockerroom, 28 years old, a father, a man, talking about Madeleine Ruff. He talked about how the crisis has affected many of the team's young veterans who have small children, how it might not have hit home so much just a few years ago. Then he said what had to be said, and he said it perfectly. "A lot of people think hockey is the end of the world. It isn't." Amen, Martin.

It's funny, but I've always given Marty Biron a hard time. I don't know how many times he's been the butt of my jokes. Maybe it's the name -- "Marty" or his almost childlike-personality. He's like the ever-annoying little brother who is hanging around too much. Talking too much. Thinking he can play with the big boys. Getting his chance but playing like a kid. Trying too hard. When I was reminded recently that Marty was drafted in 1995, I couldn't believe it. To me, the guy is still 18.

But there he was yesterday, in the Sabres lockerroom, 28 years old, a father, a man, talking about Madeleine Ruff. He talked about how the crisis has affected many of the team's young veterans who have small children, how it might not have hit home so much just a few years ago. Then he said what had to be said, and he said it perfectly. "A lot of people think hockey is the end of the world. It isn't." Amen, Martin.

I've always felt the same way about Marty as you described, but he is right on the money with this statement about Madeleine.

Great post! Marty has always been a huge disappointment. It's always in the beginning of the season and he couldn't stop a beachball fired at him, then Christmas would roll around and he was superman. There would be hope and then, alas, a loss to the Capitals and another to the Islanders. And yes, he did seem to come back from the NHL lockout looking 10 years older. He is a man now

Archived