[Game Day] Sabres @ Capitals 7:05PM

Corp000085

afinovenov scores on the miro moment with 1 second to go. great recovery by miller.. 1000x the confidence gained by having a crappy game and recovering than by having an awesome game.

well, they've apparently called off the afinogenov goal. it looked good to me though. either way, the sabres win it again after being down. HOPEFULLY those miraclous saves by miller at the end will be the end of his cold streak.

Is anybody else impressed with the fact that Lindy now trusts MAX enough to have him on the ice in the last minute with a 1 goal lead?

I could have on a VERY outside chance seen the Sabres doing what they are this season (not if you would have told me they'd lose Briere, Dumont, Miller, Kalinen, etc, etc) but I NEVER would have expected to see Max on the ice in crunch time based on his play last season.

addressing the hypothetical arugment about miller's cold streak:

ryan was not technically sound in the 3rd period, but he made the saves, and that's all that counts when it comes to confidence and the victory. as stojan suggested on the TBD side, what if ryan is hiding a pulled muscle or something? if that were the case, i'd say he's playing pretty darn well. We will not know till the laffs game, but perception is reality, and hopefully ryan only remembers that he shut out the caps in the 3rd... forget everything before that.

What happened to Connolly?

his knee got tweaked on a hit. he was able to skate off on his own though, so hopefully he won't miss any time...

if he does miss, taylor pyatt, for what he's worth, will at least be hungry to crack the lineup if he's forced to go on thursday.

Is anybody else impressed with the fact that Lindy now trusts MAX enough to have him on the ice in the last minute with a 1 goal lead?

He must have saw something he liked from Max tonight. He was out there for a long time during that last shift. My only other thought is that Lindy wanted to give him some of that high pressure ice time to see what he could do.

addressing the hypothetical arugment about miller's cold streak:

ryan was not technically sound in the 3rd period, but he made the saves, and that's all that counts when it comes to confidence and the victory. as stojan suggested on the TBD side, what if ryan is hiding a pulled muscle or something? if that were the case, i'd say he's playing pretty darn well. We will not know till the laffs game, but perception is reality, and hopefully ryan only remembers that he shut out the caps in the 3rd... forget everything before that.

it's a theory, but i think he is just in a slump. broduer was pulled for the second straight game tonight, so it happens to the best.

props to the crowd tonight - really sounded like a pro-buffalo crowd!

For what it's worth here are my thoughts:

Miller: Looked shaky in the first, pulled it together a little in the second, and really came on strong in the third. I think he can continue to build on it on Thursday. I would definately give him the start since it looks like he is finally coming out of this slump.

Officials: Absolutely terrible. The phantom high stick call on Max, the tripping call on Tallinder, plus a bunch of missed calls. Also did anyone else think the hit on Connolly was knee on knee? I didn't get the best look at it, but it looked like a knee to me.

Mika has allowed 3 so far on 15 shots. Was hoping his debut would work out better.....

The Canucks are my #2 team. I just got done watching their game (I recorded it).

Mika played very, very well. The Canucks' defense was a joke and hung him out to dry. I spend some time on a Canucks board and had several Canucks fans agree with my perception that had Mika not played as well as he did the Preds would've hung 9 on 'em.

The boxscore is deceiving, but he was awesome. Controlled rebounds very well and his positioning was excellent. But when your forward is feeding the opponent the puck on your doorstep and when your defensemen are giving up multiple 2 on 0's, you're gonna' get beat.

He must have saw something he liked from Max tonight. He was out there for a long time during that last shift. My only other thought is that Lindy wanted to give him some of that high pressure ice time to see what he could do.

Friends and I discussed this during the last minute. Our consensus: Ruff wanted speed v. speed during the last minute, rather than Grier's shut-down skills v. speed. Good call, as most of Ruff's calls have been this year.

Miller: Looked shaky in the first, pulled it together a little in the second, and really came on strong in the third. I think he can continue to build on it on Thursday. I would definately give him the start since it looks like he is finally coming out of this slump.

Officials: Absolutely terrible. The phantom high stick call on Max, the tripping call on Tallinder, plus a bunch of missed calls. Also did anyone else think the hit on Connolly was knee on knee? I didn't get the best look at it, but it looked like a knee to me.

Even though it wasn't a high stick, Max still commited a penalty, either elbowing or interference, that was definitely a penalty. the Connolly play was clean.

i thought the tripping call was actually ok - it looked to me on the replay like tallinder gave him the 'slew-foot' although not on purpose.

Even though it wasn't a high stick, Max still commited a penalty, either elbowing or interference, that was definitely a penalty. the Connolly play was clean.

I agree. It wasn't elbowing or high sticking, but it was certainly interference.

I agree. It wasn't elbowing or high sticking, but it was certainly interference.

It was a penalty, but its still very disturbing. Between the "tripping" call in Talinder and that "high sticking", it seemed like the refs were making things up for the sake of calling a penalty. It reminds me of the fans who scream for a call any time a player is knocked down. I usually resond with "what penalty would you call?". I guess the refs decided to answer that question yesterday.

It was a penalty, but its still very disturbing. Between the "tripping" call in Talinder and that "high sticking", it seemed like the refs were making things up for the sake of calling a penalty. It reminds me of the fans who scream for a call any time a player is knocked down. I usually resond with "what penalty would you call?". I guess the refs decided to answer that question yesterday.

Agreed. Max interfered, but it definately wasn't a high stick. I think the officials need to be more careful, or we will start seeing calls just because someone fell down.

Agreed. Max interfered, but it definately wasn't a high stick. I think the officials need to be more careful, or we will start seeing calls just because someone fell down.

I actually think that Max did not commit a penalty. 2 guys were going for the puck, it was right at their feet, and Max hit the Capital before the Capital hit him. Frankly, I thought the Capital took a dive, because Max is a small guy and was going forward but thrust his shoulder backward into the Capital -- so there couldn't have been that much force behind the hit.