Business First Article

PTS

http://buffalo.bizjournals.com/buffalo/sto...?tbdstory4.html

What does everyone think of this article? I think it's flawed because it doesn't take into consideration the Canadian-Sabre fans across the border. The reason the Sabre play both anthems before the game is out of respect for the few thousand Canadian season ticket holders.

As for the Bills, they draw heavily into and past Toronto.

The demographic study assumes that all fans are equal. They are not. The Bills and Sabres are part of the cultural landscape around here in a way that will never be true of some other cities and their teams. For example, Portland Oregon may seem like a great region to have more professional sports teams, but there is very little passion there for football or hockey.

The reason the Sabre play both anthems before the game is out of respect for the few thousand Canadian season ticket holders.

PTS... is this right? i always thought they played both anthems in every city because it is a North American sport, and even in US cities where the US anthem should be played, it is likely there is a majority of canadians playing on the ice. I have only been to games in Buffalo and Toronto where they play both, i sort of assumed that they did that everywhere.

PTS... is this right? i always thought they played both anthems in every city because it is a North American sport, and even in US cities where the US anthem should be played, it is likely there is a majority of canadians playing on the ice. I have only been to games in Buffalo and Toronto where they play both, i sort of assumed that they did that everywhere.

It maybe just me, but it seems that 50% of the fans join in singing Oh Canada.

If the Habs play the Leafs, they don't play the US anthem. If the Rangers play the Flyers, they don't play the Canadian anthem.

The only places you're always hear both anthems no matter who is playing is in Buffalo and in Detroit, both for the same reason.

What does everyone think of this article? I think it's flawed because it doesn't take into consideration the Canadian-Sabre fans across the border. The reason the Sabre play both anthems before the game is out of respect for the few thousand Canadian season ticket holders.

This was my very first thought when I read the article this morning. The Buffalo market includes part of another country. Most other markets don't.

The study is flawed all around. It neglects Canada and Rochester in determining viability of Buffalo's teams.

It also neglects the fact that Denver draws fans from the Dakotas, Wyoming, Montana, and probably Idaho and Utah as well. The Broncos are HUGE in the Rockies and probably 50% of the handful of hockey fans that are in the northern rockies are Avs fans as well.

How many live in Buffalo and the surrounding areas? Even Calgary and Edmonton are pushing a million right now, in fact they may be over.

Erie County is just shy of 1 million. "Surrounding areas" would be a much larger area than just the county, right? I mean, it's hardly inconceivable that fans from Arcade (Wyoming County) or Lockport (Niagara) would come in for a Sabres or Bills game. As we all know, at most games there are plenty of fans from a lot farther away than that.

They base the report on the metropolitan population, while the city of Buffalo has 292,000 people, The Buffalo Metro population is 1.19 million, this accounts for the surrounding areas such as amherst, Niagara Falls and such. What they don't take into account is the 1.09 million metro population of Rochester as well as the 5.6 million of the greater Toronto region. We all know that the Bills draw great out of southern Canada, so to include these areas you have roughly 7.9 million people to draw from. Therefor I think the data is skewed and we really aren't as overextended as it seems.

They base the report on the metropolitan population, while the city of Buffalo has 292,000 people, The Buffalo Metro population is 1.19 million, this accounts for the surrounding areas such as amherst, Niagara Falls and such. What they don't take into account is the 1.09 million metro population of Rochester as well as the 5.6 million of the greater Toronto region. We all know that the Bills draw great out of southern Canada, so to include these areas you have roughly 7.9 million people to draw from. Therefor I think the data is skewed and we really aren't as overextended as it seems.

Even worse than that: 1.19 million would only be two counties (Erie and Niagara)--it fails to take into account Rochester and Ontario, but it also fails to take into account several counties closer to Buffalo.

Archived