GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

Corp000085

Taking another look. It seems to me that the only person near McCormick is the Ref.

Butler looks a little slow moving back for weak-side help, but he is still a pretty safe pass. The third option could have been to swallow a hit which allows everyone to come back.

The pass he made defies explanation in my mind, but I think that's why he was raising the what-the-helldid-Ijustdo hands as it hit Horton's tape. :lol:

But I think it was ugly all around as you imply. Which suggests mis-communication. Nobody looked to be moving well for those few seconds.

The person that really needs to take the blame on that play is Regier. Why isn't Nathan Horton a Buffalo Sabre? Because Connolly, Hecht, Rivet and Gaustad are too valuable?

Was it a dumb play? He looked up and saw his outlet guy, Gaustad, and tried to get him the puck. Horton jumped the pass like a corner-back does. I have a few questions about that play. Why is Gaustad floating around the slot there? Horton was his guy, Gaustad should have read his break towards the net. Why was Butler late in getting to the other corner for the outlet? Why was McCormick just standing there along the boards? Weber made the wrong play because it was the play that led to a goal. The other guys on the ice did nothing to help the kid out or give him safer options.

Weber could have and should've soft passed to Butler. Watching the game live I thought he would, but didn't. Butler has Campbell until Campbell heads for Weber, Butler moves to the corner, yes not THE corner mind you but the corner. A soft pass off the boards and it's on his stick, the to Goose, then Mc Cormick.

Weber could have and should've soft passed to Butler. Watching the game live I thought he would, but didn't. Butler has Campbell until Campbell heads for Weber, Butler moves to the corner, yes not THE corner mind you but the corner. A soft pass off the boards and it's on his stick, the to Goose, then Mc Cormick.

basically, of all the choices he had - he chose the worst one. He should have eaten it if he didn't think he had a good play.

When Weber looks up to make the pass Butler is not in the corner. Considering the pressure I doubt a soft pass would have been a option. The group on the ice got run over and Weber simply was stuck with the hot potato. No one else on the ice put themselves in a position to take the pass.

When Weber looks up to make the pass Butler is not in the corner. Considering the pressure I doubt a soft pass would have been a option. The group on the ice got run over and Weber simply was stuck with the hot potato. No one else on the ice put themselves in a position to take the pass.

Weber needs to know, and trust, that his d-partner is going to be in one place in that situation. Whether he freaked or just doesn't think that fast, a pass into the slot is NOT the option. No one on the ice is able to even start moving except for Weber. Even if he misses the pass it takes a while to get to the point for a shot, much better than a one timer from the slot. Weber knows it, he's good enough, just a dumb play that unfortunately costs the game when guys can't score for crap.

The person that really needs to take the blame on that play is Regier. Why isn't Nathan Horton a Buffalo Sabre? Because Connolly, Hecht, Rivet and Gaustad are too valuable?

:wallbash: :wallbash:

They could have had Horton on a 1 year contract for the 13th pick (Zack Kassian).

I am REALLY looking forward to seeing Kassian in a Sabres uni but I'd have done that trade all day long.

:wallbash: :wallbash:

I am REALLY looking forward to seeing Kassian in a Sabres uni but I'd have done that trade all day long.

Florida was pretty firm on getting a top 15 pick.

He was looking more and more like a tired Olli Jokinen in Florida with shifts off and no more physicality than Al Kotalik.

The Bruins trade looks great at the moment.

On Weber: If he sees Horton he doesn't make that play. Weber plays a pretty safe game.

In all the games I've seen with him, I would say that is an atypical mistake.

+1

I missed the game in real time last night (and I'm glad) because the Refs gave the game to Boston in OT - end of story. Even with the reply in slow-motion there is no evidence that Adam made any contact with Savard - even less a high-stick. That was a flop call and it looked like Savard scratched himself on the way to the bench to get the penalty. And the OT winning "GOAL" was a joke - clear interference on Recchi and they let the goal stand. What a joke of a call. Miller knew it and complained about it at the end of the game. Miller stops that shot if he can get into position but because Recchi was in the crease he can't and they score. Nice to see they can use the replay to allow a goal the Refs missed but not to rule it out because of an obvious infraction.

Are you on drugs?

And can we please stop blaming a loss by an 11-17 team on the refs?

The refs were horrible, both ways. There were about 5 consecutive instances of icing/no icing that were perplexing. They didn't call Hecht for waterskiing 30 yards tethered to the crotch of a Bruin. And I sure as heck don't want them deciding the game in OT. The high stick had to be called as there was a 2 inch gash next to his eye. Here's the deal....they weren't going to call another penalty on Buffalo. Chop the daylights out of Rechhi's back and knees, and maybe he isn't on top of Miller.

Make your own luck.

There we go.

Was I watching a different game?

It felt to me like no matter how hard the Sabres worked (and they did put in a good effort) they were just barely hanging on to that lead. That game *felt* like it was one mistake away from slipping away. The Sabres put in a good effort and it was all they could do to hang on to a 2-1 lead. They worked hard enough to get chances but weren't GOOD enough to convert them. And then Boston, who seemed content to keep it close, got their chance and in a flash it was in the net, easy as pie.

Boston is going to be in the playoffs because they have the personnel to convert chances in close games they maybe don't deserve to win. Buffalo will be cleaning their lockers out early because they don't have the personnel to convert mistakes into points at critical times in games they played well in.

Exactly. 2-1 was when Pommer, our $5.3MM man, was supposed to convert one of his bang-bang opportunities instead of firing it wide, so it woulda been 3-1 and the game wouldn't have been left there like low-hanging fruit for the Bruins to pluck.

Chara must have played close to 33 minutes. Which is his number. Unreal.

He is a great, great player. But LQ says none of the big-dollar UFAs have been impact players -- I'm confused?

We can only hope that Myers develops into as good a player as Chara.

Was it a dumb play? He looked up and saw his outlet guy, Gaustad, and tried to get him the puck. Horton jumped the pass like a corner-back does. I have a few questions about that play. Why is Gaustad floating around the slot there? Horton was his guy, Gaustad should have read his break towards the net. Why was Butler late in getting to the other corner for the outlet? Why was McCormick just standing there along the boards? Weber made the wrong play because it was the play that led to a goal. The other guys on the ice did nothing to help the kid out or give him safer options.

Now you're just making excuses for him. He screwed up. It happens, and it wasn't the reason they lost the game. I still want him in the lineup.

Weber : Sabres :: McKelvin : Bills

Hell, it happened against Massachusetts teams both times, too. HAD IT WON, dammit.

I think Weber will be a much better player than McLovin.

I'm not even talking about Weber. Worrying about Weber now is like debating what type of shoes the fat girl is going to wear to the prom. Does it matter?

Very nice.

basically, of all the choices he had - he chose the worst one. He should have eaten it if he didn't think he had a good play.

+1

(On Chara)

He is a great, great player. But LQ says none of the big-dollar UFAs have been impact players -- I'm confused?

I think there is a distinction. Even Chara wasn't an immediate impact player. He struggled his first year in Boston.

Long term he's been the cornerstone of their franchise.

BTW - Ottawa let him go for nuttin - They chose Wayne Redden. Although in fairness, when Chara was available, the Sabres were capped out.