GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

Corp000085

These refs sure do like their Sens

Gerbe gets cross checked/almost boarding from behind and then I see Grier trying to skate away from a guy with his stick being hooked away from the play and no calls on either.

Man, I saw that one and just can't figure out how this league calls BS interference penalties, like the one that started this game, yet misses that X from behind.

Couple other thoughts from tonight...

Solid, solid road game, especially after playing last night. Even if they hadn't won, I was impressed with the effort.

Retire those "Sens" jerseys...they really suck. Sens? That is the best they could do?

Pominville had an AWFUL game in my mind. He looked lost out there and had to have at least 7-8 giveaways.'

I really like our D right now and what they can become. I like what Weber brings to the table and I think that Sekera, although a little out of control sometimes, positives far outweight his negatives.

Same here. The magic is back. Do you believe? I do.

This was a three martini game and at this point I'm wrecked, but a good kind of wrecked. Great win, Sabres!

Funny quotes and ironic..was out with family tonight and wife is passed out on couch and my three-year old son (in his alternate Buffalo third) is fast alsweep on my knee and I am just sitting here throwing back the Blue Lights...time to watch the late night CBC HNiC game. Good night fellas

Sorry if I offend anyone, but...

Roy - still dislike him and all of the ice time he gets. He is captain-give-away-at-an-important time. He cannot finish as he always falls. He tries to find something that is not there. Sure he has points...how many of those are important points???

Ennis - Roy/Connolly in training, for sure - let me try to dipsee-doodle and make something that isn't there. And, when I have a scoring chance, let me shoot RIGHT at the goalie. He does hustle, but his hustle is always negated by a dumb play.

Gerbe - first line winger....REALLY? Another captain giveaway with no finish. DUMB.

Pommers - EXTRA shooting practice - he shoots wide more than it snows in Buffalo. RIDICULOUS! Get some glasses, man.

Glad we won. Changes still need to be made...Sigh.

Roy - still dislike him and all of the ice time he gets. He is captain-give-away-at-an-important time. He cannot finish as he always falls. He tries to find something that is not there. Sure he has points...how many of those are important points???

Ennis - Roy/Connolly in training, for sure - let me try to dipsee-doodle and make something that isn't there. And, when I have a scoring chance, let me shoot RIGHT at the goalie. He does hustle, but his hustle is always negated by a dumb play.

Gerbe - first line winger....REALLY? Another captain giveaway with no finish. DUMB.

Pommers - EXTRA shooting practice - he shoots wide more than it snows in Buffalo. RIDICULOUS! Get some glasses, man.

post-210-007138500 1291528653_thumb.jpg

You'd think opposing goalies would be on to him by now...

Except he doesn't use the same move. I've seen the "around the world" a couple times but never a slapper from the high slot. I thought he was going to fake the shot then deke. Maybe Elliott did too!

I guess I shouldn't have benched Miller in Fantasy Hockey tonight.

First 1-0 SO victory in Sabres history, per KS

HAHA So did I! I figured no matter the outcome, I'd be happy. Although the Sabres win is more important to me than my pool.

Absolutely, changes have to be made. This team is nowhere near being a solid contender. It is disappointing seeing how the standard of success for the Sabres has declined. For this team just to squeak into the playoffs as the 8 seed is would be a disappointing season. It would be the equivalent of another 7-9 Bills season. Just enough success to justify not making any changes.

just keep winning.....

Speaking of winning, just noticed that 9-0-1 run of the Guins... They have nine straight wins after that thumping of Columbus yesterday. They are now tied with Caps for Presidents Trophy.

Speaking of winning, just noticed that 9-0-1 run of the Guins... They have nine straight wins after that thumping of Columbus yesterday. They are now tied with Caps for Presidents Trophy.

The standings are very telling. The top eight teams in the East all above .500 and the bottom seven are all below .500. Tampa is the only top eight with a negative goal differential while all of the bottom seven have a negative goal differential.

As is looks right the Sabres will need to climb above .500 to get into the top eight. Right now they are five games under .500 with a rough four game stretch coming up, Boston twice, San Jose and Pittsburgh. It will be a task for the Sabres to not drop further under .500 let alone make up some ground. With the Sabres 11 points out of fourth it is safe to say as of today they are one of the teams battling for the four remaining spots.

It's actually an 11-0-1 run. They have 2 more wins that are too far back to fit into the L10 record. If Buffalo pulled that off, then I'd start to believe. :thumbsup:

My 2 cents:

1. I'll take the 2 points, and it's great to see Miller back in top form, but I'm not as enthused about this win as others here. Bottom line is that Ottawa is a pretty crappy team right now, and the Sabres were unable to score a single goal. They very easily could have lost that game.

2. The Sabres have one regulation win this entire GD year against a good team (LA). As DeLuca noted, they have a tough schedule next week -- Boston twice, SJ and Pittsburgh. I need to see three wins in those games in order to start feeling optimistic.

3. I'm glad Vanek scored in the SO, but I didn't think he had a great game overall. There is still too much cuteness in his game -- too many times when he has a clear shot from the faceoff circles or closer and instead opts for a fancy pass which inevitably gets deflected. He has a great slapper -- he needs to pull the trigger as often as possible.

4. On the positive side, Miller is really in the zone, and team defense is pretty close to being where it was last year. Weber didn't play quite as well as he did the last couple of games, but still pretty well, and Myers looks like he is back in form -- very confident again. I thought Butler looked pretty decent too.

5. Ennis seems to have found his mojo again. I kinda like the Hecht-Ennis-Kaleta line.

6. Gerbe did zero with his opportunity on the top line. He had at least 2 opportunities to blast a one-timer from the slot and whiffed or shot wide on both of them. He is not an NHL player if he can't create offense.

My 2 cents:

1. I'll take the 2 points, and it's great to see Miller back in top form, but I'm not as enthused about this win as others here. Bottom line is that Ottawa is a pretty crappy team right now, and the Sabres were unable to score a single goal. They very easily could have lost that game.

2. The Sabres have one regulation win this entire GD year against a good team (LA). As DeLuca noted, they have a tough schedule next week -- Boston twice, SJ and Pittsburgh. I need to see three wins in those games in order to start feeling optimistic.

3. I'm glad Vanek scored in the SO, but I didn't think he had a great game overall. There is still too much cuteness in his game -- too many times when he has a clear shot from the faceoff circles or closer and instead opts for a fancy pass which inevitably gets deflected. He has a great slapper -- he needs to pull the trigger as often as possible.

4. On the positive side, Miller is really in the zone, and team defense is pretty close to being where it was last year. Weber didn't play quite as well as he did the last couple of games, but still pretty well, and Myers looks like he is back in form -- very confident again. I thought Butler looked pretty decent too.

5. Ennis seems to have found his mojo again. I kinda like the Hecht-Ennis-Kaleta line.

6. Gerbe did zero with his opportunity on the top line. He had at least 2 opportunities to blast a one-timer from the slot and whiffed or shot wide on both of them. He is not an NHL player if he can't create offense.

Damn dude. You took the thoughts right outta my head. STAY OUT OF MY HEAD !!!!!

The biggest concern I have is the no goals in reg against Ottawa. It's freaking Ottawa. They suck and their goalie sucks. And we couldn't put one by him until the skills contest at the very end. They'll need to do better with Boston and San Jose especially.

My 2 cents:

Re: all

road points are good point even if they are ugly.

That game was won on the Sabres Backcheck. I thought Vanek was the best forward backchecker. I've never written that before.

Incidentally, Luke Adam did a good job getting back, but was ineffective because he was staring at the puck. Find a body and lift a stick, rook.