Terry Pegula buying the Buffalo Sabres discussion

\GoBillsInDallas/

Ed Kilgore just said WNY Hockey Magazine has a story about Golisano selling the team. Couldn't find anything online, in a quick search. The magazine's web site is stale, and there's nothing on their Facebook or Twitter pages. Yikes, do they expect us to buy the magazine?!

Ed Kilgore just said WNY Hockey Magazine has a story about Golisano selling the team. Couldn't find anything online, in a quick search. The magazine's web site is stale, and there's nothing on their Facebook or Twitter pages. Yikes, do they expect us to buy the magazine?!

If it's anything like the similarly named magazine out here in Boston, it's free at any local rink.

If it's anything like the similarly named magazine out here in Boston, it's free at any local rink.

Not sure if it's anything similar, but the WNY Hockey Magazine is paid. I don't see it anywhere in stores anymore, not even at Barnes and Noble, and their web site is down so i don't know how much it costs. It used to be pretty expensive if i recall. It's a pretty good read, they have a good staff. It's created by Steve Manson (used to be a regular on wnsa and empire) and also Jim Kelley and Randy Schulz write for it. I think Kelley may have part ownership in it too, not sure.

The thing i loved about it, besides "Kelley Bites" which is his column on the Sabres and Schulz re-cap of the Sabres, was their indepth look at high schools and potential prospects from the area who were playing in juniors in Canada and what not.

Look, the Sabres aren't going to move to another market. Another owner--one who will shitcan Quinn--would help, but this team will stay here. Everyone relax. Unclench.

Who's clenching? Besides me -- working on about my 11th piece of pumpkin pie since Thursday.

Quote from the Buff news:

"It was the Philadelphia Flyers' style of play that got me into it," Pegula said

I pray that still stands as he was referencing the mid '70s teams.

Dear baby Jesus and all that is holy...please let this be true and may Mr. Quinn enjoy his millions while behind the desk anywhere but HSBC arena.

I would trust this guy's wife as GM over Darcy as well.

Please...please...please......let the pain be over!!!!!!

Mike Harrington via twitter tonight-

Wonder what he's talking about? Maybe more insight sale of the franchise?

It's up now. 3 alarm fire on the rumor front. Quinn is being diplomatic and not denying. This Pegula just blew $88 million to start a college system....$170 million for a pro team that he used to watch as a fan is chump change. If he is interested....this sounds like it will get done.

"and even though his house is in Boalsburg, he goes to Wegmans for breakfast. He goes over there for breakfast and coffee every morning that he’s here. It’s just his thing.”

His wife went to Houghton College and their daughter born in Buffalo. Their daughter is a budding tennis star in the juniors down in Boca. He's worth $3-4 billion....3 times what Golisano is. He loves hockey, used to coach his son's team growing up. The same reporter broke the story when he gave the $88 million to Penn St.

PA...only thing that will give you a stroke....they are Christian to the core, and huge Republican donors

Sounds good to me! Bring on Pegula! Any guy with 3-4 billion is bound to pump money into the team.

Sounds good to me! Bring on Pegula! Any guy with 3-4 billion is bound to pump money into the team.

I don't think the Sabres are cheap or have been underspending during the Golisano era. They have been spending extremely poorly. Contracts such as Pominville's, Connolly's two contracts, Hecht and others have been way above market price for players of their calibre. It's not a problem of the Sabres not spending, it's a problem of the Sabres spending very poorly and on the wrong players.

As for this rumor regarding Pegula, seems interesting. I don't have a problem with a new owner coming in. It seems like he might be a bit more of an activist owner, which could be a good thing, especially if he is a hockey fan. I like Ruff, not particularly fond of Regier anymore, so I'm not sure if the tandem would continue under a new guy, but I'm all for new ownership that would keep the team in Buffalo and put a competitive team on the ice. That's my take.

Larry Quinn adhered to a team policy of not discussing potential buyers. He did say rampant speculation about Golisano buying out his stake and that of chief operating officer Dan DiPofi was false. Quinn said such an agreement wouldn't be necessary for Golisano to sell his share.

What the hell does that mean? TG goes and LQ stays?

Larry Quinn adhered to a team policy of not discussing potential buyers. He did say rampant speculation about Golisano buying out his stake and that of chief operating officer Dan DiPofi was false. Quinn said such an agreement wouldn't be necessary for Golisano to sell his share.

Yes, TG can sell his share, with is something larger than 51% and gives him control of the team. Unless theres an agreement otherwise, and it looks like there isnt, LQ can keep his share if he likes. It really doesnt affect the direction a new owner would want to take in changing the team. The new owner could also fire LQ from his official duties and leave him as part owner.

That would be accurate. Anyone buying Tom G's stake, would become the owner. Quinn's status as minority owner wouldn't change. The big question is whether any new owner would allow Quinn to continue meddling.

Archived