Game Discussion Thread

spndnchz

Personally, I'm tired of Darcy and her fascination with soft, lazy players. But I think the real problem is Larry Quinn. He seems to have his thumb on the scale -- and nothing gets done unless it satisfies his financial demands.

Which means we can point the finger right back to Darcy, seeing as he's the one signing average players to ridiculous contracts.

Vanek, Connolly, Hecht, Gaustad, Pominville.... Man, it hurts my eyes just to think of how much those guys cost :wallbash:

Which means we can point the finger right back to Darcy, seeing as he's the one signing average players to ridiculous contracts.

Vanek, Connolly, Hecht, Gaustad, Pominville.... Man, it hurts my eyes just to think of how much those guys cost :wallbash:

There is plenty of blame to go around and surely a fair amount belongs on Quinn's shoulders to carry. The problems with this roster falls 100% on Regier's shoulders. I look at the needs of this team going into last off-season and I'm still scratching my head as to why Nathan Horton is not a Buffalo Sabre? He seemed to be a perfect fit. He is signed long term at a great price. He brings size to a smallish group of forwards and is a legit NHL top six forward. Horton not being a Sabre falls on Regier.

Yeah, maybe I should have known all along. But we won the division last year. We got 100 points. I figured it was just a slump there at the beginning. Clearly, something has changed since last season.

Last year was an anomoly. This is basically the same team that missed the playoffs 2 years in a row. Even when they were winning last season they still didn't look like a team that was going to succeed in the playoffs. Boston exposed them as a team not really different from the previous 2 years.

The past offseason convinced me that we would be watching a team scratch and claw for an 8th place spot. No upgrade on defence. No upgrade in the top 6. A roster of forwards that don't seem to mesh together well enough to create an obvious 4 line combo.

I figure the scratching and clawing will begin in earnest around Jan 1.

Last year was an anomoly. This is basically the same team that missed the playoffs 2 years in a row. Even when they were winning last season they still didn't look like a team that was going to succeed in the playoffs. Boston exposed them as a team not really different from the previous 2 years.

The past offseason convinced me that we would be watching a team scratch and claw for an 8th place spot. No upgrade on defence. No upgrade in the top 6. A roster of forwards that don't seem to mesh together well enough to create an obvious 4 line combo.

I figure the scratching and clawing will begin in earnest around Jan 1.

Great post. I agree. I'll add to this by saying that this mess falls on Regier. Blaming Quinn for this mess and for the lack of action on Regiers part is like saying Regier sat on his hands till they went numb so that when he pleasured himself it felt enough like Quinn was doing it that he could blame him for the lousy job.Funny thing is that the fans watched Regier do it and they still blame Quinn. Regiers the G.M.

Great post. I agree. I'll add to this by saying that this mess falls on Regier. Blaming Quinn for this mess and for the lack of action on Regiers part is like saying Regier sat on his hands till they went numb so that when he pleasured himself it felt enough like Quinn was doing it that he could blame him for the lousy job.Funny thing is that the fans watched Regier do it and they still blame Quinn. Regiers the G.M.

Well, for one thing, it clearly wasn't Regier's plan or idea to buy out Tim Kennedy. If that's any indication of how things work in the front office, a lot of the blame has to go to ownership. (And I also blame Darcy for not manning up and getting the hell out of Dodge.)

Well, for one thing, it clearly wasn't Regier's plan or idea to buy out Tim Kennedy. If that's any indication of how things work in the front office, a lot of the blame has to go to ownership. (And I also blame Darcy for not manning up and getting the hell out of Dodge.)

A small-percentage owner in particular.

At best, you can say that Larry is also a problem. The Sabres have spent a lot of money (no, not always to the cap, but still quite a bit), but Darcy has given a lot of it out in bad contracts. I haven't seen much conclusive proof that Larry has made Dacy sign or not sign a particular player. From most reports, Drury was on TG and his view of how contracts should work (1 yr, ideally), not Larry. While PA assumes that Darcy was told that he had to get rid of Tim Kennedy, it seems just as likely that he was surprised by the possibility of being able to buy him out (was in that narrow band where you can buy a player out but can't walk away; I believe that it was reported that it was the first time that a team had exercised this right) and, while he initially said off the cuff that they'd just have to work with the award, he changed his mind after looking everything over. I'm not a LQ fan, by any means, but a lot of people seem to deflect all of the blame off Darcy to Larry with little to no proof that Larry actually forced many of Darcy's decisions.

At best, you can say that Larry is also a problem. The Sabres have spent a lot of money (no, not always to the cap, but still quite a bit), but Darcy has given a lot of it out in bad contracts. I haven't seen much conclusive proof that Larry has made Dacy sign or not sign a particular player. From most reports, Drury was on TG and his view of how contracts should work (1 yr, ideally), not Larry. While PA assumes that Darcy was told that he had to get rid of Tim Kennedy, it seems just as likely that he was surprised by the possibility of being able to buy him out (was in that narrow band where you can buy a player out but can't walk away; I believe that it was reported that it was the first time that a team had exercised this right) and, while he initially said off the cuff that they'd just have to work with the award, he changed his mind after looking everything over. I'm not a LQ fan, by any means, but a lot of people seem to deflect all of the blame off Darcy to Larry with little to no proof that Larry actually forced many of Darcy's decisions.

Hard to argue with this point.

When we choose to point fingers at Darcy or Larry we are making assumptions with incomplete or no hard information. None of us know what the power/responsibility structure looks like in that organization. I'd love to find out who is making these choices (contracts, who to sign, etc) but the truth is, none of us will probably ever find out who is really in the personnel drivers' seat.

Every move Regier makes is consistent with the M.O. that he has had since he started here.

Here are the Sabres after the quarter season mark sitting seven games under .500 and four teams sitting between them and a playoff spot. Those teams all happen to have games in hand as well. The Panthers, one point behind the Sabres, have 3 games in hand as do the Leafs who are tied with the Sabres with 19 points. The hole may not seem deep. When you have to climb over five teams to get out it is a bit more daunting.

Every move Regier makes is consistent with the M.O. that he has had since he started here.

Here are the Sabres after the quarter season mark sitting seven games under .500 and four teams sitting between them and a playoff spot. Those teams all happen to have games in hand as well. The Panthers, one point behind the Sabres, have 3 games in hand as do the Leafs who are tied with the Sabres with 19 points. The hole may not seem deep. When you have to climb over five teams to get out it is a bit more daunting.

Let's also not forget that the teams we have to climb over to get out have their starting goaltenders actually starting for them. oof.

Let's also not forget that the teams we have to climb over to get out have their starting goaltenders actually starting for them. oof.

Wouldn't matter if they were in net against the Sabres though, as this club makes any backup look like a superstar.

Goaltending though, is the least of this team's problems.

And that says a lot about this team's problems!

If this becomes another lost season blamed on an injury to Miller, I am going to seriously do a header into Zoar Valley.

It'll be easier to forget at the end of the season, but let the record show the Sabres got into playoff jeopardy largely because Miller's Olympic hangover, which started before the Olympics, raged on. Myers' woes haven't helped, certainly.

If this becomes another lost season blamed on an injury to Miller, I am going to seriously do a header into Zoar Valley.

It'll be easier to forget at the end of the season, but let the record show the Sabres got into playoff jeopardy largely because Miller's Olympic hangover, which started before the Olympics, raged on. Myers' woes haven't helped, certainly.

Is there any doubt that Status Quo is working more on the off-season excuse program right now than it is planning on roster changes to save this season?

Is there any doubt that Status Quo is working more on the off-season excuse program right now than it is planning on roster changes to save this season?

You can make roster changes...??!

Sarcasm aside, the simple way of waking up Tommy G - Sit on your wallet, and stop pouring money into this travesty.

Anyone who bought a jersey this year is helping keeping the shipwreck afloat.

Let it sink already and be done with it.

Sarcasm aside, the simple way of waking up Tommy G - Sit on your wallet, and stop pouring money into this travesty.

exactly.

The Sabres must be "too big to fail."

No, Kalinin was a better all around player. He had Sekera's vision, but had size to win battles. He was the best 4 on 4 defender this team has had the past decade. Like Sekera though, he made too many turnovers..but his were unforced which drove everyone batty.

Sad thing is, Sekera is probably the 3rd best Dman on the team right now behind Montador and Leopold. Myers has looked awkward most of the year. Maybe something can be said about pairing those two....but bottom line is this team is 8-15. So being the median Dman on an 8-15 team isn't a rave review.

Morrison will probably prove more valuable come the playoffs.

Myers is much better 4 on 4, and in every other situation. And Sekera has much, much more offensive game than Kalinin had.

FWIW, I thought Kalinin was unfairly maligned while he was here, although his play definitely tailed off towards the end.

There is plenty of blame to go around and surely a fair amount belongs on Quinn's shoulders to carry. The problems with this roster falls 100% on Regier's shoulders. I look at the needs of this team going into last off-season and I'm still scratching my head as to why Nathan Horton is not a Buffalo Sabre? He seemed to be a perfect fit. He is signed long term at a great price. He brings size to a smallish group of forwards and is a legit NHL top six forward. Horton not being a Sabre falls on Regier.

Or Frolov, or Gagne, or any number of other good forwards who changed teams this summer (although Horton is having the best season). It is completely unacceptable that after that playoff debacle, the only change to the top 6 was the addition of a 150-pound rookie. I would love to know whether this was DR's call.

Any support for this paranoid, hysterical inference?

Again, having a theory is fine, but pretending it's a fact doesn't make it a fact.

When we choose to point fingers at Darcy or Larry we are making assumptions with incomplete or no hard information. None of us know what the power/responsibility structure looks like in that organization. I'd love to find out who is making these choices (contracts, who to sign, etc) but the truth is, none of us will probably ever find out who is really in the personnel drivers' seat.

+1.

The bolded statement is untrue. DR made plenty of trades pre-lockout, and plenty of good ones. Since the lockout, he's either fallen in love with his own roster, been overruled by management when he wanted to make changes, or some combination of the two. As Weave points out, we just don't know.

As for the Sabres' playoff hole -- I agree that it is plenty deep. The Sabres are in real trouble and if they don't start winning at a 70%+ clip for a 15- or 20-game stretch they are not going to make the playoffs.

DR made plenty of trades pre-lockout, and plenty of good ones. Since the lockout, he's either fallen in love with his own roster, been overruled by management when he wanted to make changes, or some combination of the two. As Weave points out, we just don't know.

He made plenty of good trades pre-Quinn. He's made one good acquisition since then, and that was very early in the second Era of Quinn--LQ may not have had enough juice yet to prevent Regier from picking up Drury.

Any support for this paranoid, hysterical inference?

Again, having a theory is fine, but pretending it's a fact doesn't make it a fact.

It's inferred that comments made here are opinions and theories. I don't know for a fact how it all went down, and neither do you.

I have facts to support my theory though -- Darcy's own words, both after the award and at the presser explaining the buyout.

Please use the search feature here, if you memory is failing as to the arguments on either side.

I don't think it's paranoid or hysterical to think that ownership intervened to make a statement on the arbitration process. Sometimes the most plausible explanation has to be believed. Nothing else ever made sense to me.

Anyway, I'd rather have young buck Kennedy than the gimpy old Other Niedermayer.

Will you please stop with these hit and run comments of yours where you challenge me to prove something? I quoted Lindy's joke about Connolly, and you suggested I made the whole thing up. Been to wgr.com yet? I'm still waiting for an apology.

Ruff's comment is true, but ur passive aggressive accusation needs more backup. if Ruff truly hated Timmy he'd be sitting instead of playing thru his struggle.

Your suggestion that I think Ruff hates Connolly needs more backup. :)

I can't find the original post right now -- and I can hardly keep track of my opinions in my head. I think my suggestion was that Lindy took an opportunity to pile onto Connolly, with a joke, yes, but sometimes jokes are interesting things. I was probably suggesting that anything Lindy can do to keep the pressure off himself is good for Lindy.

But, yeah, he did joke about seemingly wanting to punch Connolly, or wanting people to think he punched Connolly. People got the joke.