Just introducing myself and some thoughts.

VanekDrury

Hello. Just wanted to introduce myself. My name?s Josh and I?m from Hamburg, NY.

I was directed to this board and was amazed by the strong negativity surrounding the moves (or lack thereof) that Darcy has made this year. I know we all wanted them to go out and sign Peter Forsberg and Sergei Gonchar, but you knew it wasn?t going to happen.

I for one am glad they didn?t throw all their money at the free agents this year. Most of them are on the decline in their career. They?re producing less, and they?re getting up there in age. I?m happy with our current squad and think they?ll make the playoffs.

Next year though, I think the Sabres will be spending more money. The free agent class next year is BETTER than this year?s, and they are much younger as a whole.

And for anyone who wants to compare the Sabres to the Pens, you are mistaken. The Penguins roster was filled with a bunch of no name career 4th liners. They were much worse off than us. They were graced with the presence of Rico Fata and Lasse Pirjeta. Woo-hoo. Do you really think the Penguins team is that much better off now than the Sabres? I would say their roster is better, but ours shows much more promise for the future of the organization.

Go Sabres!

Welcome... I agree they are making sure they have plenty of flexibility when they need it. A lot of these teams are going at is like the Cowboys did in the mid 90s shortly after the NFL cap was instituted.

Some think we should do what Butler did by keeping our own expensive FAs. That doesn't work either in the long run...

Howdy...

What about signing a couple of those old-timers to 1-year deals just generate some excitment in the short term? That still leaves the Sabres open for doing whatever they want next year.

So, how did you find us?

What about signing a couple of those old-timers to 1-year deals just generate some excitment in the short term? That still leaves the Sabres open for doing whatever they want next year.

I agree, signing one or two would be great. Looking at the salaries for teams as it stands now without a full roster and seeing trades for picks, to dump salary. I think Darcy is in a good spot. Call it what you may, I am not satisfied I want something too, but I am also not ready to just trash the organization at this point. It's not completely fair to compare to years past either. Tom is the new owner, and no I don't like Quinn, but John R and the bankruptcy days are only around the corner. Give it some time. If Darcy doesn't make it work, or Lindy doesn't I think Tom will make changes.

Welcome... I agree they are making sure they have plenty of flexibility when they need it. A lot of these teams are going at is like the Cowboys did in the mid 90s shortly after the NFL cap was instituted.

Some think we should do what Butler did by keeping our own expensive FAs. That doesn't work either in the long run...

I'd have to agree wtih you. While waiting and seeing, dumping your #1 scorer and #1 defenseman will obviously piss off some fans, i think that most want the sabres to play the cap smartly. These big time contracts given out are just like the contracts handed out in the nfl after the cap. See san fran. In the short term, they were a super bowl team. Now, they've been in cap hell for the past 5 years. Look at the bills... after john butler left, TD had to clean up the cap. It took him 2 years to do that. I might be simply buying into the rhetoric that darcy and golisano talk about, but the sabres ARE setting themselves up for at least long term mediocrity, if not success. They aren't going cup or nothing in 2006, which is a good thing, since "nothing" means 10 years of crap.

I've been stating that it will take a few seasons, possibly up to 5-10, to truly see how this new salary cap will work. I do believe that smart FA aquisitions, no overpaying or backloaded contracts, and no "name only" guys is the way to go. We'll see what happens, but i expect the sabres to be in the hunt for the playoffs this year and for years to come.

Hello. Just wanted to introduce myself. My name?s Josh and I?m from Hamburg, NY.

I was directed to this board and was amazed by the strong negativity surrounding the moves (or lack thereof) that Darcy has made this year. I know we all wanted them to go out and sign Peter Forsberg and Sergei Gonchar, but you knew it wasn?t going to happen.

I for one am glad they didn?t throw all their money at the free agents this year. Most of them are on the decline in their career. They?re producing less, and they?re getting up there in age. I?m happy with our current squad and think they?ll make the playoffs.

Next year though, I think the Sabres will be spending more money. The free agent class next year is BETTER than this year?s, and they are much younger as a whole.

And for anyone who wants to compare the Sabres to the Pens, you are mistaken. The Penguins roster was filled with a bunch of no name career 4th liners. They were much worse off than us. They were graced with the presence of Rico Fata and Lasse Pirjeta. Woo-hoo. Do you really think the Penguins team is that much better off now than the Sabres? I would say their roster is better, but ours shows much more promise for the future of the organization.

Go Sabres!

Have you heard of a kid named Crosby? The Pens took the kid and just didn't sit back like the Sabres would have. They went out and got him players to play with. Palfy, Gonchar along with some vertern goaltending.

The Sabres kept their core. Great! A core that wasn't close to good enough to make the playoffs last time out. The last THREE times out. Except for Kalinin they nothing as far as defensemen afer letting Zhitnik go with nothing coming back in return. Oh yeah, they let their only legit scorer go, again with nothing coming back in return.

The Sabres plan is to rely on a smallish forward coming of head injury (Roy) and a player (Vanek) who has yet to pee drop one in the NHL bucket to fill the void.

Everyone likes to through out names like Forsberg and Gonchar. Like every free agent that has signed signed for $6 million for four years.

You are right about one thing. There will be a bunch of younger free agents next season. But I have to ask this again. Why would a player come to a team that has missed the playoffs for four years straight when he can get the same money from any playoff team. Get used to the Teppo Numminens of the world. Older one shot deals are all the Sabres can sign until they decide to show that the are willing to do what it takes to win.

Have you heard of a kid named Crosby? The Pens took the kid and just didn't sit back like the Sabres would have.

The Sabres plan is to rely on a smallish forward coming of head injury (Roy) and a player (Vanek) who has yet to pee drop one in the NHL bucket to fill the void.

Crosby also has "yet to pee drop one in the NHL bucket". You can't say that the future of the organization is secure because they have Crosby. How many players were supposed to be the next Great One? He could be the next Lemieux, but he could be the next Daigle or Lindros.

And yeah the Pens went out and got players, but their roster before was so pitiful, that they're NOT that much better off than we are now, if they are at all!

You are right about one thing. There will be a bunch of younger free agents next season. But I have to ask this again. Why would a player come to a team that has missed the playoffs for four years straight when he can get the same money from any playoff team. Get used to the Teppo Numminens of the world. Older one shot deals are all the Sabres can sign until they decide to show that the are willing to do what it takes to win.

The first reason is that it many players don't live very far from Buffalo or didn't grow up very far from Buffalo.

Secondly, missing four straight is pretty misleading since everyone missed last year, and I believe you have already written off this year.

Did we go to the Stanley Cup Finals when the purse was open in the early 90s? No. It was once things were tight. Spending doesn't always buy you a good team...

Mindlessly throwing money at something may make you feel better, but seldom does it accomplish much...

Archived