GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

Corp000085

Watching the replay, lots of good things happened before The Goal. Leopold pinched and Vanek slid over to play D near the right point. When Leopold went down behind the net, the Caps appeared to have an easy breakout up the wall, but Roy harassed the crap out of the Capital player. Vanek then stood up at the point and held the puck in. But Roy by then was out of position -- Leopold jumped in to the vacated spot and shot the puck behind the net, eventually to Vanek. Good stuff.

Watching the replay, lots of good things happened before The Goal. Leopold pinched and Vanek slid over to play D near the right point. When Leopold went down behind the net, the Caps appeared to have an easy breakout up the wall, but Roy harassed the crap out of the Capital player. Vanek then stood up at the point and held the puck in. But Roy by then was out of position -- Leopold jumped in to the vacated spot and shot the puck behind the net, eventually to Vanek. Good stuff.

Great breakdown of the play.

Did you also notice on Washington's second goal, Morrisonn getting knocked off the puck by yet another ref getting in the way? You can see him glaring back at him right after it happens then shortly after that the puck is in our net.

Great breakdown of the play.

Did you also notice on Washington's second goal, Morrisonn getting knocked off the puck by yet another ref getting in the way? You can see him glaring back at him right after it happens then shortly after that the puck is in our net.

I missed that. On Montador's goal, if that had been scored by the Caps on Miller, I think there would have been a lot of squawking.

Rule 69.3:

If a goalkeeper, in the act of establishing his position within his

goal crease, initiates contact with an attacking player who is in the

goal crease, and this results in an impairment of the goalkeeper’s

ability to defend his goal, and a goal is scored, the goal will be

disallowed.

The other rule-related thing in my mind from last night is Kaleta's hit on Chimera. The hit was really late. I'd like to see that play taken out of the game.

What? Like now? We know Vanek is going to be here at least until 2013, he's older now, it might help him move to the next level. And who else would get the C?

Reading the tea leaves big time here, but the following Sabres gave video tributes to Mike Grier before the game last night: Gaustad, Pominville, Miller and Rivet.

Other than that spill behind the net in the 1st I thought Myers played OK. Montador and McCormick had great games I thought. McCormick and Vanek really distracted the Washington goalie tonight. We should've had someone parked in front of the net all night. It really seemed to bother that goalie. I thought Pommer played well also. And Connolly was useless as usual. I cringed every time he handled the puck on the blue line in OT.

Vanek always seems to get overshadowed by the league superstars. Especially Ovie. It was nice to see Vanek show Ovie how it's done for a change.

At least he didn't have his sole mate Stafford on the ice with him. It actually kept an even ice situation to half a man up.