GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

wjag

Always wanted to start one of these. So I've been watching, but not posting much. Win tonight, and maybe, just maybe, they can turn around a bad start. Whether it's too little, too late won't be known for some time. But two road wins is a definite start.

Go Sabres, please.

The second game of back to back games is always tough, its going to be even harder with this team. Hopefully they built some momentum with the last couple of wins and keep this thiing going.

You're absolutely right. That's why it pisses me off that the Sabres insist on having Friday night as their typical home game nights. The NHL's big night is always on Saturday nights. Therefore, the Sabres seem to almost always have their home game on Friday and then travel or host a game the next night. Why can't they be like every other team and have their home games on say Mondays and Saturdays or really any other day than Friday or Sunday? They're putting themselves at a disadvantage before the season even begins by playing so many back to backs.

Saying all that, they of course don't play this Friday night.

You're absolutely right. That's why it pisses me off that the Sabres insist on having Friday night as their typical home game nights. The NHL's big night is always on Saturday nights. Therefore, the Sabres seem to almost always have their home game on Friday and then travel or host a game the next night. Why can't they be like every other team and have their home games on say Mondays and Saturdays or really any other day than Friday or Sunday? They're putting themselves at a disadvantage before the season even begins by playing so many back to backs.

$$$$$

$$$

OSP is doing arts and crafts in his dotage. For his projects, he collects toe jam and belly button lint (his own, I presume, although I'm sure Monica is prodigous). He also hasn't bought bread crumbs in years -- he discovered the little trays under his toaster in 1992.

He's got two and a half cents of the first nickel he ever earned. Credit: fushetti.

You're not making money if your missing the playoffs....

That's precisely the point. How dysfunctional is the business calculus that goes into a decision to help the gate and hurt the team? What night (or day) home games take place wouldn't matter in a hockey town like Buffalo if the product were more appealing.

That's precisely the point. How dysfunctional is the business calculus that goes into a decision to help the gate and hurt the team? What night home games place wouldn't matter in a hockey town like Buffalo if the product were more appealing.

Are you trying to inflate your post count?

I like Friday night games. But, anyone remember back in the Biron/Mika era, where crowds were very small and the Sabres did "Red Hot Fridays" and wore those Red jerseys? They had tons of discounts and a later start (8pm) and as a result the crowds were much bigger and very rowdy. Those were the days. Maybe thats why i like Friday nights so much, because i went to most back then at a discount rate and got absolutely wasted before heading out to Chippawa right after.

Not sure what you were trying to say in your post. Sorry, not trying to be rude, but maybe don't gussy it haha.

I think I was trying to agree with you. We both seem to be arguing that the top priority should be a schedule that's as favorable as possible. If the Sabres don't get as many "good" dates for selling tickets, tough titty. Your point was a good one. If the schedule hurts you just enough so you miss the playoffs, you lose a lot more revenue than you possibly gained.

They need to put a team on the ice that would sell out a game on Monday morning at 7 a.m.

You disagree with the point?

Or are you commenting on the shoddy writing? I tried to gussy it up a bit.

I was commenting/joking about the redundant posts. No biggie. As to the substance of the post -- I don't think playing 1 or 2 sets of back-to-backs above the league average is that big of a deal, and I don't think it's any more "dysfunctional" than spending a bit less than the cap. It's just economic reality. I also think the back-to-backs need to be evaluated in light of the team's travel burden, which I seem to remember reading is either the lightest in the league or in the top 3. I would guess that most of the WC coaches/players would gladly trade more back-to-backs for less travel.

If the Sabres are going to be tough enough to go on a playoff run, they will be tough enough to manage the back-to-backs. And if they don't do anything in the playoffs, it won't be because of the back-to-backs.