Which line is the 4th line?

X. Benedict

I thought Jim Lorenz asked an excellent question during the broadcast,

which line of the Sabres would be considered the 4th line?

If you had to number these lines how would you do it?

Hard to choose.

I think right now Brier's line is number 1

Vanek's 2

Drury's 3

Connoley's 4

That could change from night to night.

This team falls outside of tradition. In terms of danger in the offensive zone, I'd put Drury's line last. That REALLY doesn't show their value at shutting other teams down, however.

Drury logs nearly half his ice time on special teams. That's pretty amazing.

Tonight our "number one" line had no points and were a collective minus two - and we scored SIX goals.

We don't suck.

This team falls outside of tradition. In terms of danger in the offensive zone, I'd put Drury's line last. That REALLY doesn't show their value at shutting other teams down, however.

Drury logs nearly half his ice time on special teams. That's pretty amazing.

Tonight our "number one" line had no points and were a collective minus two - and we scored SIX goals.

We don't suck.

Very true. I wonder how long it takes for the rest of the league to look at what Buffalo has done and figure out that if Buffalo skates four lines, and your team skates 2.5 lines, your team is going to get your ass handed to you in the 3rd period.

This team falls outside of tradition.

We don't suck.

Both are understatments. :) This team is so uniform in its talent. I'd agree that the Drury line is the classical 4th line, but that's only because of Grier being a grinder... They definately can score, too.

What a ride this year has been!

I thought Jim Lorenz asked an excellent question during the broadcast,

which line of the Sabres would be considered the 4th line?

If you had to number these lines how would you do it?

Hard to choose.

I think right now Brier's line is number 1

Vanek's 2

Drury's 3

Connoley's 4

That could change from night to night.

I think Lindy would number them as follows:

1. Briere

2. Drury

3. Connolly

4. Roy

...although Roy's line played more than Connolly's or Drury's line tonight. I think you can chalk this up to (i) Roy's line played less than anyone yesterday against Philly and so was probably a little fresher, (ii) the game today wasn't close, and (iii) Roy's line produced FOUR goals. Generally, though, I think Roy's line is the weakest defensively, so Lindy gives them the fewest shifts.

Usually, Drury's line starts each period (although I think Briere's line started the game tonight). Also, Drury is too vital of a player to be considered the 4th line center.

I expect Connolly's line to move up to equal ice time with the top 2 pretty soon as Connolly gets back up to speed.

In any event though, I think Lorentz's point was that all of our lines are pretty strong, which I think is absolutely right. If you agree that Roy-Max-Vanek is our 4th line -- well our 4th line has our leading goal-scorer (Vanek is now tied with Kotalik), our fastest skater and a center who has 2 hat tricks in the last week. If you think it's Connolly's line -- that line has our leading goal-scorer (tied, anyway) and a guy who was our leading point-scorer when he got injured. If you think it's Drury's line -- that line has our captain.

Pretty strong. What a great season and what a great team to root for.

We have four lines period, not a first, second, third, or forth line. It's the way to go when you have the personnel to pull it off (I always attempted this when I coached). At the same time, it's a match-up nightmare for the opposition, game after game.

Anyone looking forward to playing a, hopefully, healthy Sabres team in the playoffs?

Archived