Pyatt

bottlecap

I think Pyatt will make good somewhere, but I don't think it is going to be here. His skill set never seemed to fit his size. He is huge but doesn't seem to be as strong on the puck as you would expect. It has just been a series of bad breaks for the guy. I don't think he ever got good at playing with his back to the goal or the defencemen. He still has time to turn it around. (his career, not the season)

I think Pyatt will make good somewhere, but I don't think it is going to be here. His skill set never seemed to fit his size. He is huge but doesn't seem to be as strong on the puck as you would expect. It has just been a series of bad breaks for the guy. I don't think he ever got good at playing with his back to the goal or the defencemen. He still has time to turn it around. (his career, not the season)

I think you are probably correct about Pyatt's chances of getting an opportunity elsewhere. I think that he has played well for Buffalo from shortly before he got injured up through the present (although I thought there was a very slight drop in his last 2 or 3 games). Right now he is strictly a victim of numbers, he has played well enough to play but not better than the other forwards that are currently playing.

Someone posted a quote from Lindy about Taylor earlier this season basically stating that sometimes a guy like Pyatt needs a change of scenery to reach his potential. I still think he could have a future in Buffalo, but he will have to find a way to raise his game another half notch. He raised it a lot from past Sabres seasons. I doubt the Sabres are willing to give up on him this off season, but either expect to see him firmly on a top 3 line by next March or see him playing elsewhere.

I think you are probably correct about Pyatt's chances of getting an opportunity elsewhere. I think that he has played well for Buffalo from shortly before he got injured up through the present (although I thought there was a very slight drop in his last 2 or 3 games). Right now he is strictly a victim of numbers, he has played well enough to play but not better than the other forwards that are currently playing.

Someone posted a quote from Lindy about Taylor earlier this season basically stating that sometimes a guy like Pyatt needs a change of scenery to reach his potential. I still think he could have a future in Buffalo, but he will have to find a way to raise his game another half notch. He raised it a lot from past Sabres seasons. I doubt the Sabres are willing to give up on him this off season, but either expect to see him firmly on a top 3 line by next March or see him playing elsewhere.

His only chance of sticking with this team next year is if he can fill the Mike Grier role. I don't think he has it in him though.

I'm glad he finally got benched. The guy never has contributed up to his potential. If he's going to chip in 8 points in 28 games, play solid defense and be a fourth line checker, then we already have a few of those guys. What a bust up to this point. Even Connolly showed flashes of talent in previous seasons. Other than that hat trick against the Caps when he got hurt, what has he done this season?

I feel bad for Pyatt (except that he's making a million dollars to watch every Sabres game). Don't get me wrong, judging him based on his season as a whole and even including that 2 week stretch where everyone was raving about him even though he had I think 1 goal and no assists in about 5 games, he really hasn't had much chance, at least this year.

I'm not saying he deserves an automatic crack at playing on a scoring line, but since he came back from that wrist injury when he played it was basically with Peters and Gaustad every time. Nothing against Gaustad, he's extremely good for a 4th line center and could probably pass as a #3 on some teams, but a guy like Pyatt has more chance to blossom as a grinder than as a power forward playing with him.

Pyatt will be back in the lineup soon either due to injury or ineffectiveness of somebody, it's just a matter of time. When he does come back in, I know he doesn't go onto the first line or anything, I'd just like to see maybe him and Gaustad centered by Briere occasionally by double shifting the latter. Give Pyatt a good offensive centerman and good health and at worst I think he'd be a defensively conscious, physical, 15-20 or 25 goal guy.

If Pominville slips even a little, he's the one to come out of the lineup to put Pyatt back in, IMO.

I never liked the guy. He is nothing but a fairy. I don't think he deserves any more "chances," at least not with Buffalo. He's 6'4 and is scared to go into the corners, that alone gets him no respect in my book. He doesn't play with heart. The only time I ever cheered with him on the ice was when he fought Steve Montador, and to tell you the truth, I wanted Montador to win. And is it just me or does Pyatt wear mascara??

I don't ever see him scoring 15 to 20 to 25 goals, he has a hard enough time trying to score 10 in a season. I would much rather see a hungrier player like Chris Thorburn or Dan Paille out there than that underachiever.

If Pominville slips even a little, he's the one to come out of the lineup to put Pyatt back in, IMO.

I'd hate to see Pominville come out of the lineup for Pyatt. Pomminstein gives you a great accurate right handed shot - and given a little daylight he can bury it. Teams have reacted to that shot which has opened up the middle - 18% plus shooting accuracy doesn't go unnoticed- also keep in mind he has 26 points in 41 games - and he's a rookie. Pominville is the guy you want to stick with in a slight slump - I would love for teams to try to ignore him again.

Archived