Game Discussion Thread

deluca67

I never started one of these?

The Sabres are close to being dead last in the entire league. They are tied with Oilers who have two games in hand. Only the Devils have less points with equal games played. The Panthers are two points down with 3 games in hand.

The Stars are on a three game skid of their own. Being out scored 11-4 in three games.

It will be interesting to see how Team Fragile reacts to another loss. It will also be interesting if Ruff plans any more surprises for the lineup. Does he go back to Rivet this soon?

I never started one of these?

The Sabres are close to being dead last in the entire league. They are tied with Oilers who have two games in hand. Only the Devils have less points with equal games played. The Panthers are two points down with 3 games in hand.

The Stars are on a three game skid of their own. Being out scored 11-4 in three games.

It will be interesting to see how Team Fragile reacts to another loss. It will also be interesting if Ruff plans any more surprises for the lineup. Does he go back to Rivet this soon?

i agree. I am generally one to avoid sweeping or over dramatic statements, but based on this teams play of late including the end of last year, they are in big trouble. Its hard to say if its coaching, because if youre outside the locker room you cant know and are only guessing.

I think Ruff is a valuable asset, i think trading someone, is the most realistic option.

A good test to see how good/bad you think this team is to look ahead at the November schedule and look for gimme points. Points you feel they should be able to walk away with. Maybe on the road against the Devils? At MSG against the Rangers? Other than those you are looking at a division heavy schedule with appearances Washington, Pittsburgh, Vancouver and a very talented Tampa Bay squad. Hell, They have two against Montreal who are #1 in the NHL in points at this stage.

I don't see this bad stretch ending anytime soon.

A good test to see how good/bad you think this team is to look ahead at the November schedule and look for gimme points. Points you feel they should be able to walk away with. Maybe on the road against the Devils? At MSG against the Rangers? Other than those you are looking at a division heavy schedule with appearances Washington, Pittsburgh, Vancouver and a very talented Tampa Bay squad. Hell, They have two against Montreal who are #1 in the NHL in points at this stage.

I don't see this bad stretch ending anytime soon.

It'll end. Soon. As much as I want the nightmare scenario I envisioned over the summer to come true -- a horrendous 20-game start that costs Lindy his job -- this franchise won't even be able to get this right. Even at 3-6-2, that's not bad enough. I needed at least 2-8-1 at this point.

It'll end. Soon. As much as I want the nightmare scenario I envisioned over the summer to come true -- a horrendous 20-game start that costs Lindy his job -- this franchise won't even be able to get this right. Even at 3-6-2, that's not bad enough. I needed at least 2-8-1 at this point.

The really scary part is, I get the feeling they could be 0-6-5 and it wouldn't change a darn thing.

Remember that 14-game losing streak in 2007-2008? Nothing.

It's bad alright. But mostly because Regier thinks it isn't.

Oh well. At least it's not like these are bad people :wallbash:

Let's not sugar coat things. They lost 8 of 11 games facing a strong possibility of losing 9 of 12. It's not like they can count on coming home to play the Bruins and Canadians. The Bruins are 5-2 and as I said earlier Montreal is #1 in points. And by the way, the Sabres have played worse at home than they have on the road. 3-11 is worse than 2-8-1.

The really scary part is, I get the feeling they could be 0-6-5 and it wouldn't change a darn thing.

I wonder if there is some pressure coming from somewhere? The Rivet thing is out character. I heard talk that even though the Sabres have their season ticket base there is concern about the lack of walk-up ticket sales this season. This was just someone at work talking not a official source. Has anyone heard anything about this?

It should be LALIME tonight, really I wouldn't mind to see him play two straight, MILLER has to refocus and get on top of his game. I think he has looked a little soft at times this season.

Maybe someone should tell Ryan this isn't a Special Olympics year.

I wonder if there is some pressure coming from somewhere? The Rivet thing is out character. I heard talk that even though the Sabres have their season ticket base there is concern about the lack of walk-up ticket sales this season. This was just someone at work talking not a official source. Has anyone heard anything about this?

If they're smart businesspeople, the ticket situation should be a concern, as should no-shows, as should the general atmosphere in the building. These are real canaries in the coal mine. You just can't ignore the obvious signs your customers are giving you. This is, after all, an entertainment business.

If they're smart businesspeople, the ticket situation should be a concern, as should no-shows, as should the general atmosphere in the building. These are real canaries in the coal mine. You just can't ignore the obvious signs your customers are giving you. This is, after all, an entertainment business.

The issue with walk-ups is real? That may be the catalyst needed to implement some real change.

Yeah that article stuck in my craw too. Bad people NO bad hockey players YES!

It should be LALIME tonight, really I wouldn't mind to see him play two straight, MILLER has to refocus and get on top of his game. I think he has looked a little soft at times this season.

Yeah even Miller looks unfocused this year. Maybe he is tired of trying to carry this team on his back.

The issue with walk-ups is real? That may be the catalyst needed to implement some real change.

Yeah Right, sorry that article earlier in the week from DR just totally disappointed me in this team. Nothing happens till that cancer is gone.

He talks about passionless players well that comment has stuck with me and watching this team it is true. I see no character or identity for this team right now. Are we a defense first team, puck possesion, up tempo attack, what is this team supposed to be. Certainly no chemistry exists and it looks like real poor comunication, who is taking the man who is taking the puck and positioning is the culprit on all these breakdowns we are seeing.

So why should it be a surprise to anyone that the team has taken on the personality of it's management? DR oozes passionless in his interviews, in his actions or inactions or more importantly in this case his status quo approach to this team.

He stated at the end of last season losing to Boston for all including the players something had to change and then it didn't what kind of message did that send? Any wonder it looks like Miller does not want to carry this collection on his back all year again?

I will close my mini rant around a statement DR made in an article a couple of weeks back when he was trying to make his excuses for this year already. He talked after another Sabres loss about all the parity in the league now across all teams and how hard it is to win in this league. Actually with direct TV's CI pkg and watching a lot of other hockey teams games from what I am seeing he is right. What he failed to see he was also pointing out is that his status quo approach to his own team has them below the parity level that now exisits in the league. Just look at the record.

I don't think it's that out of character. Ruff has never been shy about benching a player. Sure, he's never benched a captain before, but then again, he's never had a captain play this poorly before. Even last year, Rivet was better than this. Sad thing is, I don't think it's effort (as I do with respect to other players); I just think Rivet tried to stretch his career out one to many seasons. Maybe he can play Teppo-style, where it's a game on, a game off, and he'll improve. Or maybe he's just not up to it anymore. Either way, it's tough watching the end of a great career--and I wish he could contribute more than he can.

I don't think it's that out of character. Ruff has never been shy about benching a player. Sure, he's never benched a captain before, but then again, he's never had a captain play this poorly before. Even last year, Rivet was better than this. Sad thing is, I don't think it's effort (as I do with respect to other players); I just think Rivet tried to stretch his career out one to many seasons. Maybe he can play Teppo-style, where it's a game on, a game off, and he'll improve. Or maybe he's just not up to it anymore. Either way, it's tough watching the end of a great career--and I wish he could contribute more than he can.

Which makes me wonder why the hell Stafford is still in the line up. I don't usually dump on players, but he just plain out sucks. And he's on the top line, on the power play, I mean what gives? There was all this talk in traing camp about how he had slimmed down, was more focuesed, blah blah. Is Ruff banking on a miracle turn around in this guy?

Which makes me wonder why the hell Stafford is still in the line up. I don't usually dump on players, but he just plain out sucks. And he's on the top line, on the power play, I mean what gives? There was all this talk in traing camp about how he had slimmed down, was more focuesed, blah blah. Is Ruff banking on a miracle turn around in this guy?

I never will understand why Stafford is on the team, much less in the lineup. Maybe Quinn is a distant cousin or something. There's really no explanation.

I never will understand why Stafford is on the team, much less in the lineup. Maybe Quinn is a distant cousin or something. There's really no explanation.

It has become apparent to me that the only reason they continue the status quo (waiting for and signing the same players over and over) is they are convinced they can turn lead into gold.

What really bugs me although I know this is an over simplification is; having done some stints in managment it doesn't really take that long to see who on your work group/team listens, follows orders and gives a Sheet. Now effort doesn't always produce results but nobody can argue with rewarding effort even if they think they are better they know they aren't working as hard.

When you do not follow a formula like that as a manager you invariably end up with a dsyfunctional unhappy work team.

He stated at the end of last season losing to Boston for all including the players something had to change and then it didn't what kind of message did that send? Any wonder it looks like Miller does not want to carry this collection on his back all year again?

"Trade me right f*cking now!"

Season Ticket vs Walkup Discussion

I'll be busy doing my best impersonation of John Daly at a party - loudmouth golf pants, shirt saying sponsored by hooters with logo, bowl cut wig, pillow in stomach, bottle of Jack and a pack of smokes, tag on back saying looking for sponsors....Sooo, if I am going as John Daly, does that give me the right to act like him for a night?

Come on Sabes, pick it up!