The Walking Dead

deluca67

That was always my big question with shows like "Walking Dead", and "American Horror Story." How can they sustain the pace of the pilots. So far both shows are doing fine. But like you said, brain splattering (even though it is awesome) eventually becomes routine. Really interested to see how they develop the characters, because in the end, the conflicts between the characters will make or break either show.

My DVR is filling up pretty quick with TWD, AHS, and SOA.

The beauty of TWD is in the characters. In order for the show to "keep it up" they will continue to expand on the individual characters.

The beauty of TWD is in the characters. In order for the show to "keep it up" they will continue to expand on the individual characters.

So this is why I think it will not succeed long term. There just isn't enough room for creativity in a show like this. So what inevitably happens is entire shows become about one character. Some deep dark secret gets exposed and they spend 60 minutes on it. What is right about the show at the moment is characters come in and characters go out. The zombies have to win a few or it gets boring real fast. The attack on the camp where some characters were lost, folks decide to "opt out", the group splinters. That is what will keep it interesting. What will kill it, IMHO, is 60 minutes on why some character is afraid of the dark. And that day is inevitably coming. It always does...

So this is why I think it will not succeed long term. There just isn't enough room for creativity in a show like this. So what inevitably happens is entire shows become about one character. Some deep dark secret gets exposed and they spend 60 minutes on it. What is right about the show at the moment is characters come in and characters go out. The zombies have to win a few or it gets boring real fast. The attack on the camp where some characters were lost, folks decide to "opt out", the group splinters. That is what will keep it interesting. What will kill it, IMHO, is 60 minutes on why some character is afraid of the dark. And that day is inevitably coming. It always does...

just out of curiosity, have you read the graphic novels? I haven't yet (buying a couple of the volumes tonight on my way home) but from what I've heard, people should avoid falling in love with any one specific character.

just out of curiosity, have you read the graphic novels? I haven't yet (buying a couple of the volumes tonight on my way home) but from what I've heard, people should avoid falling in love with any one specific character.

No I haven't and won't until it has run its course. I can see the sheriff and his family hanging around, but everyone else should be a 3-5 show character. And some of them should be Zombie main courses.

I've really like the plot so far...

No I haven't and won't until it has run its course. I can see the sheriff and his family hanging around, but everyone else should be a 3-5 show character. And some of them should be Zombie main courses.

I've really like the plot so far...

I agree, and I have thoroughly enjoyed the plot. I'm anxious to see where it's going! I don't have many other shows that i am into as much as this one.

OMG! If, and I mean IF they go down even HALF the roads in the television program that they do in the monthly series, this show will be the darkest, most violent show ever! Trust me on this, this show is ALL about how a basically good person before the end of the world struggles with how NOT to become an animal in order to survive. Even more interesting is the effect this has on the children. I won't go into spoilers, but the children have a hard time understanding the difference between what is right and wrong in a world where the surviving humans can be just as dangerous as a herd of walkers.

The zombies are pretty much window dressing, this show is all about characters. And while it is very clear that they will not directly translate from comic to TV, the writers have NO trouble offing a main character in a heartbeat! Much like Game of Thrones, any episode can have MULTIPLE people exiting the series...

• 2 weeks later...

Last week's episode was boring. Let's hope they get back on track tonight.

I think they did. Some parts of the episode dragged, but the pay off at the end was excellent. Shane has become one of the more complex/interesting characters on the show. I hope he sticks around. I know he has already exceeded his shrelf life if you go by the comic book.

I think they did. Some parts of the episode dragged, but the pay off at the end was excellent. Shane has become one of the more complex/interesting characters on the show. I hope he sticks around. I know he has already exceeded his shrelf life if you go by the comic book.

Awesome episode last night! You all knew the fat guy wasn't coming back with him.

Last night's show was saved by the ending. Definitely liked the drama of sacrificing that guy to zombi food. Also like the irony of a guy hanging himself, turning into Zombi food and then turning into a zombi.

But... How many shows are they going to devote to a lost child and a shot boy?

Last night's show was saved by the ending. Definitely liked the drama of sacrificing that guy to zombi food. Also like the irony of a guy hanging himself, turning into Zombi food and then turning into a zombi.

Well it looks like at least 1 more based on the previews for next week.

I personally found that scene to be hilarious. Is there something wrong with me?

I concur with your concerns regarding the lost girl, and the shot boy. However, the most entertaining parts of last nights episode (hanging zombie, and the sacrifice of Otis) were spin offs of those 2 story arches.

Pardon my ignorance here but I didn't fully understand the hanging zombie.

The guy got bit, wrote a poem and hung himself. Assuming he died instantly, when did the walkers chomp his legs? They don't seem to eat dead flesh (they walk right by the dead folks in cars on the road) so it doesn't seem they'd eat him before he "turned", and they don't seem to eat each other so it doesn't seem like they'd eat him after.

In any case, I enjoy the show (other than the fact everything seems sepia-colored for some reason) and am hoping we see a reanimated Otis at some point.

The guy got bit, wrote a poem and hung himself. Assuming he died instantly, when did the walkers chomp his legs? They don't seem to eat dead flesh (they walk right by the dead folks in cars on the road) so it doesn't seem they'd eat him before he "turned", and they don't seem to eat each other so it doesn't seem like they'd eat him after.

In any case, I enjoy the show (other than the fact everything seems sepia-colored for some reason) and am hoping we see a reanimated Otis at some point.

If we do, he will be a lot thinner. Those Zombies were tearing him apart.

He got bit after he tried, unsuccessfully, to hang himself. Walkers came by, ate his legs, he becomes a stranded walker.

Can you hear him after he jumps out of the tree only to survive, hanging there.... What the hell did I just do?!

yupp! :lol:

I actually found that scene pretty funny, with what's her name trying to keep it together as he's just hanging there...

best part was "what a waste of an arrow"

Can you hear him after he jumps out of the tree only to survive, hanging there.... What the hell did I just do?!

I can picture Red from "That 70's Show" saying "Dumbass"!

Talk about a "Man my life sucks!" moment.

The Zombie Feeding (i.e. Otis) saved that episode.

I told the misses I think the crew has to worry more about Shane than the walkers.

The one thing drives me nuts as they were gawking at the hung zombie (insert joke here)in my mind I am screaming this is when a walker will jump out and bite one of them, I do this every time the crew stops and chat.

I think if I were them I would have already have a mental breakdown and to be responsible for kids in that world as a father I would be freaking out every second.

I think the depiction of the kids in the TV series is disappointingly unrealistic compared to the depiction of kids in the comic. In a zombie apocalypse, I believe kids would need to grow up a lot quicker (much like they did in the past). Anybody trying to shield his or her child from atrocities and "not for kid's eyes" as they are doing with Carl would end up as zombie bait in my opinion. I really hope the TV group finds a way to portray this better.

I think the depiction of the kids in the TV series is disappointingly unrealistic compared to the depiction of kids in the comic. In a zombie apocalypse, I believe kids would need to grow up a lot quicker (much like they did in the past). Anybody trying to shield his or her child from atrocities and "not for kid's eyes" as they are doing with Carl would end up as zombie bate in my opinion. I really hope the TV group finds a way to portray this better.

Bait.

Zombie bate would imply some sort of zombie masterbation.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.