GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

spndnchz

Ohhhh RJ:

Tyler One and Tyler Two, a pair of Tylers makes it TWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

:lol:

Rick's at the top of his game. It's night and day compared to last season at this point. It's funny -- you never think of an announcer having a bad season due to injury/illness. I have to believe Rick was sick a year ago. And maybe on some meds that had his eyes playing tricks on him.

Rick's at the top of his game. It's night and day compared to last season at this point. It's funny -- you never think of an announcer having a bad season due to injury/illness. I have to believe Rick was sick a year ago. And maybe on some meds that had his eyes playing tricks on him.

Near the end of the game he had another good one, "And Gaustad wins the draw, this is a recording"

My HD feed (time warner cny 1050) sucks. It's high def, but the clarity is bad. Looks whitewashed. Doesn't look stretched, though. Definitely shot in 16x9.

The feed I'm watching is definitely shot 16x9. Just seems like it's off a little. Would think it had something to do with connecting my comp to the big screen, but all the other games are crystal clear and correct proportion. Who knows. The MSG feed is better than last year on GC. And this year we can choose between feeds.

The feed I'm watching is definitely shot 16x9. Just seems like it's off a little. Would think it had something to do with connecting my comp to the big screen, but all the other games are crystal clear and correct proportion. Who knows. The MSG feed is better than last year on GC. And this year we can choose between feeds.

The feed on CI on Cablevision is in SD and sucks. I've seen better quality on a cell phone.

There were two separate games last year where he referred to Mair as Ruff---- I know they both wore #22, but I was beginning to worry that dementia might be setting in.

My HD feed (time warner cny 1050) sucks. It's high def, but the clarity is bad. Looks whitewashed. Doesn't look stretched, though. Definitely shot in 16x9.

The HD feed on DirecTV was fine - except that the audio was out of sync with the video.

The game center feed last time I watched was stretched 4x3 and looked terrible.

We did. Not as much as he did, though. Here come the goals...

Vanek does love garbage time against the SE, innit?

You're absolutely right. It would be very sad for the scores of fans who attend Thrashers games if their franchise were to leave Atlanta. But stuff happens, and if I owned the team and saw that empty seats outnumbered paying customers by a wide margin, you can bet that I'd try to protect my investment and start looking for an exit strategy. Ultimately, sports is a business. And business owners are in it to make money, not to provide a public service.

No matter where you took your team, if they had won zero playoff GAMES in the 11 years of their existence, and only made it to the playoffs once, they would have lousy attendance.

Separately, that was a nice win for the Sabres, top to bottom, in an arena where they've looked lousy for the past few years. I can't think of anyone who didn't play pretty well.

I'd like to think that they are NOT going to come home full of themselves and play Friday night like they feel it's just going to get handed to them, but I'm not that confident.

We'll see. In the meantime, no need to fire anyone tonight.

Go Sabres.

I believe the first penalty would have been wiped out and the second enforced.

"Any penalties signaled during the period of time between the

apparent goal and the next stoppage of play shall be assessed in the

normal manner, except when a minor penalty is to be assessed to the

team scored upon, and is therefore nullified by the scoring of the goal.

Refer to Rules 16.2 and 18.2. If an infraction happens after the first

stoppage of play following an apparent goal (infraction after the

whistle) by either team, it is assessed and served in the normal

manner regardless as to the decision rendered by the Video Goal

Judge."

Thanks. I did look at that, I wasn't sure about the second minor. But that stands to reason. Just like scoring on a delayed double minor.

[1.] Vanek does love garbage time against the SE, innit?

[2.] No matter where you took your team, if they had won zero playoff GAMES in the 11 years of their existence, and only made it to the playoffs once, they would have lousy attendance.

[3.] Go Sabres.

1. Yes, but who cares, he popped his 2010 cherry and now the goals will come.

2. Awfully close to a certain franchise in British Columbia. Not dead on, but really close. (3 playoff games, GAMES, in 11 seasons. And it was easier to make it in, then.) They have and have had no attendance problems. The problem with the Thrashers is that the team is in Atlanta. Not everything is for every place.

3. Yep.

I'm not going to argue business. My point is simply the guy like you and me. Watching the team, talking about it on some fan board and hoping for a Cup! I don't want to tell him he doesn't deserve a team to cheer for. If you want to talk strictly business then we can talk about how a city like Buffalo may not deserve a major professional sports team.

Its a business and I understand that, but Its wrong to take a team away from its fans/City and I think there should be some kind of revenue sharing from the teams that are doing well to help the teams out that are struggling to maintain themselves through the bad times. I realize you can't expect the whole league to completely make up for poor management, but struggling financially normally goes hand in hand with losing and without the losing teams the league doesn't survive because someone has to lose.

Great game tonight :thumbsup:

He would have had one earlier if Ennis had passed him the puck on that PP. Then right after on the same shift, Myers is ahead of him entering the zone and goes offside because he doesn't pass it to him. I like that Ennis scored, but he is going to be a problem if he doesn't learn how to pass.

1. Yes, but who cares, he popped his 2010 cherry and now the goals will come.

2. Awfully close to a certain franchise in British Columbia. Not dead on, but really close. (3 playoff games, GAMES, in 11 seasons. And it was easier to make it in, then.) They have and have had no attendance problems. The problem with the Thrashers is that the team is in Atlanta. Not everything is for every place.

3. Yep.

atlanta is just a crappy sports town unless the sport is college football. How many times did the Braves make the playoffs and have their stands unfilled also?

Its a business and I understand that, but Its wrong to take a team away from its fans/City and I think there should be some kind of revenue sharing from the teams that are doing well to help the teams out that are struggling to maintain themselves through the bad times. I realize you can't expect the whole league to completely make up for poor management, but struggling financially normally goes hand in hand with losing and without the losing teams the league doesn't survive because someone has to lose.

Great game tonight :thumbsup:

I'll bet that most of the teams didn't want Bettman to try an Atlanta experiment a second time. So why should they pay for it? Why isn't that team in Winnipeg? Hell, why not freaking Spokane? At least there's some sort of hockey there.

Vancouver? Are you sure? This seems to say they had 3 playoff WINS (not series wins -- that was zero -- but games won) in their 1st 11 years, but they still made the playoffs in 5 of those seasons. Am I missing something?

Also, the tickets were a heckuva lot cheaper in the 1970s than they are now.

Also, Ottawa, which made the playoffs last year, is having a hard time selling tickets this year.

I guess I think good hockey is such a good spectator sport that it really can work just about anywhere -- but it has to be good hockey. I will certainly admit that good hockey will work better in some markets than others, but I think Dallas, Tampa, etc. show that it will work well in the sun belt if the product is good.

He would have had one earlier if Ennis had passed him the puck on that PP. Then right after on the same shift, Myers is ahead of him entering the zone and goes offside because he doesn't pass it to him. I like that Ennis scored, but he is going to be a problem if he doesn't learn how to pass.

Ennis is still getting the hang of things, but I thought he played pretty well tonight (I agree that the Myers offside was Ennis' fault though). One thought that struck me as I watched him dangling through the offensive zone for the 10th time tonight was that he might, like Max, hang on to the puck too long, but unlike Max, he doesn't commit the killer turnover at the blue line and spring the other team for a breakout the other way.

No matter where you took your team, if they had won zero playoff GAMES in the 11 years of their existence, and only made it to the playoffs once, they would have lousy attendance.

Separately, that was a nice win for the Sabres, top to bottom, in an arena where they've looked lousy for the past few years. I can't think of anyone who didn't play pretty well.

I'd like to think that they are NOT going to come home full of themselves and play Friday night like they feel it's just going to get handed to them, but I'm not that confident.

We'll see. In the meantime, no need to fire anyone tonight.

Go Sabres.

NONSENSE!

Ennis is still getting the hang of things, but I thought he played pretty well tonight (I agree that the Myers offside was Ennis' fault though). One thought that struck me as I watched him dangling through the offensive zone for the 10th time tonight was that he might, like Max, hang on to the puck too long, but unlike Max, he doesn't commit the killer turnover at the blue line and spring the other team for a breakout the other way.

That's a good point. His turnovers do seem to be a little deeper into the zone. He could be great, yet I'm complaining that he's only just really good. I guess that's a good problem to have.

Vanek really was wide open, though.

Thoughts:

-Butler may have played his best game as a Sabre. He was excellent. Fantastic overall defensive play. He had an awesome dive to foil a great 2 on 1 opportunity by Atlanta. He also stopped numerous cross crease passes using his feet. I saw him multiple times visibly communicating with his defensive partner and the forwards. Those are all signs that a defenseman is on top of his game. On the offensive side, he had 2 Assists. Couldn't ask for more.

-Myers was back to form this game. He wasn't over thinking. He made short crisp passes, moved the puck out of his own end efficiently and he netted a goal. I think he's coming around.

-I actually yelled aloud when Vanek notched his goal. He had to score. If this team is going to win, he's gon have to be at 30+ goals by seasons end. Hopefully the goals come pouring in.

-I enjoyed Montador's attempted hip check on Evander Kane. Montador is prolly the most frustrating Sabre on the squad. I love his physical edge, and his willingness to skate the puck up or join the rush. At the same time, you know he's good for at least on HORRENDOUS give away/screw up per game.

-Ennis is a joy to watch. I've said it before, and I'll say it again: He's easily the most offensively dynamic forward this team has seen since Danny Briere. I don't like the Maxim comparisons. They're inaccurate. This kid has the same skill set that made DB great, and you'll continue to see that throughout the season.

-Ennis is a joy to watch. I've said it before, and I'll say it again: He's easily the most offensively dynamic forward this team has seen since Danny Briere. I don't like the Maxim comparisons. They're inaccurate. This kid has the same skill set that made DB great, and you'll continue to see that throughout the season.

I agree with all your points, more or less--- as for this one in particular I think any comparison being drawn amongst fans between Ennis and Max are only superficial. Shifty waterbug on skates with the ability to puckhandle in a phone booth--- At times, when he carries the puck into the offensive zone and curls back to the blueline, he does look similar to Afinogenov. The fact that he tucks half his sweater into his hip pads further creates the illusion. Completely superficial. He has much better vision than Maxim ever had, and certainly at this age. As you said, Briere is a more apt comparison.

Thoughts:

-Butler may have played his best game as a Sabre. He was excellent. Fantastic overall defensive play. He had an awesome dive to foil a great 2 on 1 opportunity by Atlanta. He also stopped numerous cross crease passes using his feet. I saw him multiple times visibly communicating with his defensive partner and the forwards. Those are all signs that a defenseman is on top of his game. On the offensive side, he had 2 Assists. Couldn't ask for more.

-Myers was back to form this game. He wasn't over thinking. He made short crisp passes, moved the puck out of his own end efficiently and he netted a goal. I think he's coming around.

-I actually yelled aloud when Vanek notched his goal. He had to score. If this team is going to win, he's gon have to be at 30+ goals by seasons end. Hopefully the goals come pouring in.

-I enjoyed Montador's attempted hip check on Evander Kane. Montador is prolly the most frustrating Sabre on the squad. I love his physical edge, and his willingness to skate the puck up or join the rush. At the same time, you know he's good for at least on HORRENDOUS give away/screw up per game.

Good post. I remember thinking the same thing about Butler at one point during the game. It would be great if he continued to play at a high level.

As for Monty, his pass to Ennis for the 1st goal was a great play -- both by him for making the pass and by Ennis for fielding it cleanly.

Ennis had the least amount of playing time, just over 10 minutes, last night, but he still delivered with an early goal. I was some what surprised by the small amount of playing time. The guy has rarely gone scoreless as a Sabre. I know he's young, he needs more NHL experience, and the Sabres needed, and still may, a major change in the lineup. It'll be interesting what Ruff does on Friday. Ennis is a key player for the Sabres, in my opinion.