Buffalo Sabres Depth Chart

PTS

Here is what I currently envision the lines and pairings long before the season starts.

================

FORWARDS:

1st Line: Jochen Hecht - Daniel Briere - JP Dumont

2nd Line: Thomas Vanek - Chris Drury - Mike Grier

3rd Line: Maxim Afinogenov* - Derek Roy - Alec Kotalik

4th Line: Taylor Pyatt - Tim Connolly - Adam Mair*

Bench Depth:

Bench 1: Andrew Peters - Chris Taylor - Milan Bartovic

Bench 2: Daniel Paille - Paul Gaustad - Jason Pominville

* - Playing Off Regular Position

================

DEFENSEMEN:

Pair 1: Dmitri Kalinin - Henrik Tallinder

Pair 2: Jay McKee - Teppo Numminen

Pair 3: Rory Fitzpatrick - Jeff Jilson

Bench Depth:

Pair 4: Brian Campbell - Doug Janik

================

GOALTENDERS:

1st: Ryan Miller

2nd: Martin Biron

3rd: Mika Noronen

The forwards look good, I wish we still had Satan and I would be completely thrilled about them. Defense needs improvements. Hamrlik, Witt, or Aaron Miller would be nice. As for goalies, it's Miller time which means either Biron or Noronen need to be shipped out. My money is on Biron since he has the most market value.

Here is what I currently envision the lines and pairings long before the season starts.

================

FORWARDS:

Bench Depth:

================

DEFENSEMEN:

Bench Depth:

================

GOALTENDERS:

The forwards look good, I wish we still had Satan and I would be completely thrilled about them. Defense needs improvements. Hamrlik, Witt, or Aaron Miller would be nice. As for goalies, it's Miller time which means either Biron or Noronen need to be shipped out. My money is on Biron since he has the most market value.

I"d prefer to see Kotalik on the same line with Drury. B-)

================

FORWARDS:

Bench Depth:

I don't like the 4th line at all. I'm not sure what to do with Connolly, but I'd much rather see Gaustad in his place on the line. He is a banger who can score the occassional goal, will drop the gloves when needed and is the kind of guy who can spark the team when thrown out there. The top 3 lines are okay even though I believe we have two #2 lines and no #1 line. My spare forwards would be Peters and Connolly. I thought Bartovic swore off the Sabres and said he wasn't returning. Taylor should finish his career in Rochester. Paille is not ready for the NHL IMO and I'm not sure about Pominville(he seems to be pretty one dimensional) either.

I think a lightning fast "kiddie line" of Vanek-Roy-Kotalik could be fun to watch.

Absolutely!!!!

I like the lines that were suggested in this thread....only issue with Connolly: Not a real place for him here now....he will alwasy be viewed as a disappointment if he is a 4th liner....he needs to at least play with some talented forwards offensively to have a shot of being what he was supposed to be.

Having said that, Id love to see the Sabres move him and get a more defense minded, hard nosed 4th line Center.

The lines proposed weren't bad but the changes I'd make is put Kotalik on the 2nd line and Grier on the 3rd line. Also, as mentioned until he proves himself NHL ready again I leave Connelly on the bench or as a swing man to replace Maxim or Roy. Thusly making my 4th line: Taylor Pyatt - Adam Mair- Andrew Peters.

Guest Repster

================

FORWARDS:

Bench Depth:

================

DEFENSEMEN:

Bench Depth:

================

GOALTENDERS:

I had the lines a little different.

Last year the team finished strongly with the top 2 lines as:

(Satan)now Vanek-Briere-Dumont (high scoring)

Hecht-Drury-Grier (veteran scoring and hardworking)

the 3rd and 4th lines will be interested to see if Pyatt or Kotalik will be the LW:

Pyatt-Roy-Afinogenov (speed, scoring potential) Pyatt is size guy

Kotalik-Connolly-Mair (slower, good shooters) Mair is tough guy

I think Pyatt skates better than Kotalik, but Kotalik has a heavier, more accurate shot.

Defense:

Kalinin-Numminen (lefty-righty, youth-veteran, both with 2-way skills)

McKee-Fitzpatrick (lefty-righty, defensively sound)

Tallinder-Jillson (lefty-righty, good puck moving skills and shot, offensive potential)

Campbell-Janik (2 lefties, offensive project-defensive prospect)

Would be nice to see someone else to fit in with McKee as a #3/4 defensman at least. Hopefully we see a trade with Noronen or Biron that can bring someone in.

I didn't think Brad Brown was that bad. He and McKee had chemistry on the ice I thought. Brown is an UFA, but we really need an upgrade in terms of proven talent after the top 3, if the playoffs are realistic.

I would prefer to see Noronen go because of confidence issues with bad goals, but the market might bear more for Biron. I think we need to keep someone experienced - and that's Biron. Miller should be ready to take over but who really knows. I think he overcommits when moving side to side, but I didn't see him much in Roc.

Guest Loopey

I would prefer to see Noronen go because of confidence issues with bad goals, but the market might bear more for Biron. I think we need to keep someone experienced - and that's Biron. Miller should be ready to take over but who really knows. I think he overcommits when moving side to side, but I didn't see him much in Roc.

Very good point. Can someone please tell why this whole city is ready to crown Ryan Miller as next "Hall of Famer"?? Where did this over hype come from? Michigan State?? He has had a handful of games in the NHL with mixed results. More importantly he nearly had nervous breakdowns in the locker room after a few of them!!

It's too bad Marty had to follow Dom. He has risen to the top of the depth chart in nearly every situation "where someone else was better", since Hasek left. In doing so he has racked up better than average stats and a few team records in the process. I don't get it.

Archived