Free Agent Frenzy

spndnchz

Lydman's gone. 3 x $3 million with the Ducks.

per BN

The Sabres offered Lydman a two-year contract.

"It was the term," Lydman said by phone from Finland. "I would have liked to stay, but two years was their offer, and Anaheim offered three years, so that was the biggest thing."

per BN

The Sabres offered Lydman a two-year contract.

"It was the term," Lydman said by phone from Finland. "I would have liked to stay, but two years was their offer, and Anaheim offered three years, so that was the biggest thing."

Why am I not shocked?

Kubina has double the offensive numbers Volchenkov has.

FWIW Kubina was easily the best DMan for the Thrashers last year. He's strong on the boards and can contribute offensively when needed. I'd like him on the Sabres at the right price.

Ray Whitney to Phoenix - $3 mil X 2 years. Has anyone checked Darcy for a pulse? Does he know today is July 1?

I guess that means roughly 2/3rds of the league's GM have no pulse right now. It's 3 hours in and the majority of the league hasn't signed someone yet. This thing hasn't even started yet.

I guess that means roughly 2/3rds of the league's GM have no pulse right now. It's 3 hours in and the majority of the league hasn't signed someone yet. This thing hasn't even started yet.

Right. Only 13 teams have made signings, a few of them just re-signing their own players.

I don't disagree, but it would have been nice to see the Sabres sign Whitney. I'd guess though that he preferred Phoenix to Buffalo.

FWIW Kubina was easily the best DMan for the Thrashers last year. He's strong on the boards and can contribute offensively when needed. I'd like him on the Sabres at the right price.

My biggest concern would be for his safety in the locker room. The team might see the shiny jewelry on his finger that he got in '04, have no idea what it is, assume that he was a witch and try to burn him at the stake or drown him. Then we'd have to eat a big cap hit...

Right. Only 13 teams have made signings, a few of them just re-signing their own players.

It's not just this year though, and that's why it's so frustrating. We almost never sign notable free agents, mostly 2nd/3rd tier guys to replace guys we lose.

First of all, the rumor cite that was quoted has zero credibility.

Second, just for the sake of discussion, Kubina has some offensive skills, while Volchenkov has none.

Third, I agree with you and would rather have Volchenkov. But I'm not holding my breath.

Fourth, I will be very surprised if Kubina gets $5MM (or $4MM for that matter) from the Sabres or from anyone else.

If Pavel Kubina can be signed for $3.5 to $4 million per season, I might overlook the age difference* and better appreciate the powerplay prowess he possesses.

* between Kubina and Anton Volchenkov

My biggest concern would be for his safety in the locker room. The team might see the shiny jewelry on his finger that he got in '04, have no idea what it is, assume that he was a witch and try to burn him at the stake or drown him. Then we'd have to eat a big cap hit...

I love it!

Tallinder to NJ

4 years @ 3.4per

I'm done with this FO.

I'm pissed we haven't done anything either but you really wanted Tallinder for another 4 years at comparable money to last year?

not sad or surprised to see our 2 d men up and leave.

I would love it if we got Volchenkov but it won't happen.

changes will be made hopefully via the trade route but again, i won't be surprised if nothing happens.

surprised we couldn't get biron.

Archived