Brandon Witt

PTS

Tarik El-Bashir reports veteran Capitals defenceman Brendan Witt is requesting a trade to a contender. With the Caps in obvious rebuilding mode, Witt said he'd like to be dealt to a team with a chance to win now, and would prefer to be moved by the start of training camp in September. GM George McPhee tells the Post he intends to honour Witt's request.

I have no inside info on this but my gut is telling me that Darcy is going to go after Witt because he was a player he targeted a long time ago. Darcy is always seems to make multiple runs at the same player if he wasn't able to get that player in the past.

Kolzig might want to disappear from DC as well, so maybe we can swindle a Biron for Witt trade?

Brendan Witt would be a great addition. I wonder if he wants a trade to a team that can compete, or if he just wants to get out of Washington. If it's the former, why would he want to go to Buffalo? If its the latter, yes, Darcy, get this guy. His commitment to tough defense will make the entire Sabres defense better.

I'd like to see a real goalie, like Kolzig, go to Buffalo. Ollie wouldn't want to get traded to anything but a contender though. ( Like to see him in 'nucks uniform ).

Who knows though, maybe Miller or Noronen will emerge as a dominant goalie. It's about as likely as silky-smooth space mission from NASA, but stranger things have happened.

Witt would be a solid addition to (finally) fill the void left by Rhett Warrener, but he has all the offensive skill of a Fitzpatrick or Brown..We STILL need a puck-moving defenseman, and despite what the Sabres front office thinks, I have a real hard time believing that Soupy Campbell is that guy...dump and chase hockey won't cut it anymore in the new NHL - we need guys that can carry the puck and makes some plays on BOTH ends of the ice...I thought Tallinder had some potential, but I find it hard to root for an alleged rapist..I gave him the benefit of the doubt until he was kicked off the Swedish national team...

Yo DeLuca a player on the backline like that man could make us a contender! ;)

Could someone please explain to me how a team that finished 6 points out of the playoffs(they were 5 points out in November so that "they went on a run" garbage doesn't fly. They lost ground) . Missed for the third straight year. Lost their two best players is suddenly a player or two away from being a "contender".

I would love to know. At least know the name of the dealer you guys are getting your stuff from. It is making you see things that are not there.

Could someone please explain to me how a team that finished 6 points out of the playoffs(they were 5 points out in November so that "they went on a run" garbage doesn't fly. They lost ground) . Missed for the third straight year. Lost their two best players is suddenly a player or two away from being a "contender".

I would love to know. At least know the name of the dealer you guys are getting your stuff from. It is making you see things that are not there.

I'm with you.

On top of all that, our goalie by committee situation.

Gotta back that... besides witt wants to goto a team thats a contender in which he doesn't have to do that work or lead anybody or anything. which is what he'd be doing in buffalo... sooo basically... no.

If he didn't want to be a leader he wouldn't be Washington's captain. He'd be a great pickup for Buffalo..they need a physical defenseman that can actually play hockey. I've never thought he's as good as most say he is, but he'd be a good fit as a partner for Kalinin.

Besides, he's a restricted free agent. It's not like he can pick and choose his team. If Buffalo trades for his rights, he's playing here whether he thinks the team is a contender or not.

If he didn't want to be a leader he wouldn't be Washington's captain. He'd be a great pickup for Buffalo..they need a physical defenseman that can actually play hockey. I've never thought he's as good as most say he is, but he'd be a good fit as a partner for Kalinin.

Besides, he's a restricted free agent. It's not like he can pick and choose his team. If Buffalo trades for his rights, he's playing here whether he thinks the team is a contender or not.

If the Caps are going to honor his wishes for a trade I doubt they would screw him over like that. Despite his request they have a pretty good relationship.

We are pining for players of Brandon Witts character,these are the type of warriors that can put us over the top. We had someone similar to Witt in Rhett Warrener and to this day I believe we miss the current Calgary Flame.The addition of Witt could be the type of player that gets Buffalo closer to respectability.To say were not close don't bother doesn't make sense either,not when your talking about tough quality defensemen.If he can be had then by all means go get him.Character players make great additions to a young and promising roster. Zhitnik and Satan are gone lets recover and move on,Satan for one with his moods and erratic play I won't miss.Zhitnik was a tough loss now we need to regroup and "Get the tools to Get-R-Done".

I would love the addition of Witt to the team. I am not sure what it is going to take to get him though. I don't know if Washington has any interest in one of our goalies with Kolzig(just turned 35) still there. I am more than willing to give up a #1 for Witt and throw in a third line player or prospect.

Archived