Fatigue can't be used as an excuse this year

repster

This was the subject from Mike Harrington on the Sabres Edge. He cites this article from the Nashville website showing how few miles the Sabres will travel this year compared to any other team in the NHL. They do play 3 more back to back nights compared to the average, but they also play 4 home back to back games this year.

http://www.ontheforecheck.com/2009/7/16/95...r-favorite-team

This was the subject from Mike Harrington on the Sabres Edge. He cites this article from the Nashville website showing how few miles the Sabres will travel this year compared to any other team in the NHL. They do play 3 more back to back nights compared to the average, but they also play 4 home back to back games this year.

http://www.ontheforecheck.com/2009/7/16/95...r-favorite-team

They have many other excuses they will use. :wallbash:

I get tired hearing about players being tired. They play a game for a living. A couple of hours a day. They don't have to go to work after a game or practice. They have tons of free time and plenty of time to sleep. How can a guy in his 20's who is supposed to be in great physical condition complain about being fatigued?

I get tired hearing about players being tired. They play a game for a living. A couple of hours a day. They don't have to go to work after a game or practice. They have tons of free time and plenty of time to sleep. How can a guy in his 20's who is supposed to be in great physical condition complain about being fatigued?

:worthy:

You're clearly not an athlete.

Normally you follow up a hard day with at least one easy day to let your muscles recover. So the second hard day in a row is going to be tougher. If the other team is rested, it just makes matters worse.

well maybe if they were out drinking and playing grab the sausage they wouldn't be as tired.

If fatigue is such a factor, how is it that any team out West has ever won the Stanley Cup(Calgary, Anaheim, Colorado, Edmonton) when they always log many more frequent flyer miles than their cohorts on the east coast.

If fatigue is such a factor, how is it that any team out West has ever won the Stanley Cup(Calgary, Anaheim, Colorado, Edmonton) when they always log many more frequent flyer miles than their cohorts on the east coast.

sitting first class on a plane for several hours and staying in luxury hotels isn't fatigue. playing back to back games, or every other day even, is the tiring part.

Because as he said, it's not the act of sitting in a plane that fatigues you. Travel can be a pain, but it's the demands of the game itself that fatigue the players. And that has a lot to do with conditioning, if we want to put it back on the players and organization.

Because (as stated above) 2 games in 24 hours doesn't leave enough time for proper muscle recovery.

I agree that conditioning can help. But even the best conditioned athletes need recovery days. With all other things being equal between two teams, fatigue can still be a big factor for the team with the best conditioning.

Because (as stated above) 2 games in 24 hours doesn't leave enough time for proper muscle recovery.

I agree that conditioning can help. But even the best conditioned athletes need recovery days. With all other things being equal between two teams, fatigue can still be a big factor for the team with the best conditioning.

please stop being so hopeleslyobvious.

How 'bout a couple of deep knee bends, maybe some squat thrusts?

Because as he said, it's not the act of sitting in a plane that fatigues you. Travel can be a pain, but it's the demands of the game itself that fatigue the players. And that has a lot to do with conditioning, if we want to put it back on the players and organization.

My point is that over the course of a season every team has its tough parts and easy parts and for the most part it all balances out to the point where faitigue isn't an excuse for not making the playoffs.

Normally you follow up a hard day with at least one easy day to let your muscles recover. So the second hard day in a row is going to be tougher. If the other team is rested, it just makes matters worse.

At 48 years, not any more but I was in my day. I understand back-to-backs games and other points being made. However, fatigue should not be an overriding factor. That's all.

At 48 years, not any more but I was in my day. I understand back-to-backs games and other points being made. However, fatigue should not be an overriding factor. That's all.

Exactly. Everyone is fatigued. Do some extra stretches, warm up better, and down a mouthful of aspirin with a chaser of whiskey.

Stretching and warming up are great...but they don't change the fact that you can't perform to the same level athletically two days in a row. Fatigue is normally brought up on the second game of a back-to-back or the third game of 3-in-4 nights, etc. If I remember correctly, the Sabres have had more back-to-backs than other teams the last few years. At this level, it is definitely enough to make a difference in a game.

I would like to see the league balance the playing field so to speak regarding b-t-b games. Each team should have to travel the night previous. I don't think it is so much two game in two nights as it is playing a game, doing press conferences, traveling and then being forced to play less than 24 hours. If the other team is rested or hasn't traveled, it is an uneven playing field, err ice.. Sure its a scheduling challenge, but that's what computers were made for..

Archived