MacArthur and Sekera sign contracts with Sabres

repster

My take would be that the rest of the league realizes that the difference in ability between the 6th forward and the ninth forward doesn't merit more then a $1.5 to 2.5 million salary. I have said it before and I will beat the drum again, its all about the top two lines, four blue liners and 1 goaltender. Its why the Hecht deal was ridiculous at the time and even more ridiculous now.

I'm still waiting for these "big" contracts to really hurt these teams the same way a lot of people around here keep waiting for that big cap fall next year.

Seems like a bit of historical revisionism. After 06-07, Hecht wasn't considered a top six forward?

Seems like a bit of historical revisionism. After 06-07, Hecht wasn't considered a top six forward?

Only in Darcy's mind. My old friend SabreNod who probably goes by a different name now skewered me for questioning the deal at the time he signed. The guy has never been more then a very good third line player who could fill in on occasion on your top lines. Just my opinion and in no way revisionist.

Only in Darcy's mind. My old friend SabreNod who probably goes by a different name now skewered me for questioning the deal at the time he signed. The guy has never been more then a very good third line player who could fill in on occasion on your top lines. Just my opinion and in no way revisionist.

I've never been thrilled with Jochen's skill level, but I did respect "the little things" he did, and after all he did play wing on one of the best lines in recent Sabres memory. (Briere & Pominville)

He's a complimentary player. He'd probably be best suited playing with Roy and Vanek but we know that won't happen.

Didn't one of us put together a leftie-rightie list before? Might give some semblance of who's where.

Even carp might approve: my proposed pairings were all set out lefty-righty:

Lefty-righty

Lydman-Rivet

Butler-Montador

Sekera-Myers

with Weber and Paetsch both extra lefties. Pretty sure Tallinder is also a lefty (another reason, if a lesser one, to unload him)

2 nothing signings of 2 players who are equally worthless....

I think Sekera could score 30-40 pts if he keeps his head.

He wasn't the same after his ankle thing...but holy smokes can this kid skate.

He was very solid 2 years ago with limited exposure.

He was often quite unsteady last year when he could pinch ....

I look forward to seeing him for a full season on the left side.

I think Sekera could score 30-40 pts if he keeps his head.

He wasn't the same after his ankle thing...but holy smokes can this kid skate.

He was very solid 2 years ago with limited exposure.

He was often quite unsteady last year when he could pinch ....

I look forward to seeing him for a full season on the left side.

I agree -- he's got real potential and is well ahead of where Soupy was at the same age.

Yup, all three weeks of it. Free agency is 20 days old and you expect the Sabres to have gone from mediocre to playoff competitors. We still have 10 weeks until the season starts. Will it kill you to practice a little patience?

Is one positive move too much to ask?

So u r saying the Bruins had problems on d, and then decide to play Montador to fix those problems? Or u r saying he was part of the problem?

I don't see a guy that played 11 playoff games, got 3 points and was a plus+5 a "problem".

And all your barking and hootin' about someone needs to stand up for Miller and you don't like Montador? Pleeeez.

I'm saying the Bruins had no other choice.

And I guess adding toughness that can contribute on a regular shift is asking way too much. There was a great deal of toughness available in free agency and just like with the back up goalie the Sabres refuse to seriously address the issue and end up scrapping the bottom of the bargain bin.

I appreciate your concern, but I actually meant that you were the enraged beast. Either way, though, I think you are misunderestimating Montador. Of course he's not an "impact player" like Hossa or Bouwmeester would've been, but I think he's going to be a top-4 defenseman who plays hard and tough. He's going to fight anyone who runs Miller and he's going to jump into every scrum.

I think the net effect of subtracting the non-physical Tallinder (hopefully!) from the regulars and adding the blood-and-guts Montador -- and the ripple effects on Butler and Myers -- will be more than you are expecting.

"Ripple effect?" Wasn't Rivet supposed to have a "ripple effect?" How did that turn out? Oh yeah Miller got run, his teammates turned the other way and the Sabres missed the playoffs for the 5th time in 7 years.

I'm not sure at my age if I can still "misunderestimate." I don't hate Montador and he does have toughness. He is also a shining example of the front office refusing to fully address the needs to this team. If the front office was serious about addressing the toughness issue it would have been addressed. Just like the back-up goalie position they refuse to make the investment needed. The toughness issue could have been address without breaking the bank or the self imposed budget.

I do appreciate one aspect of Steve Montador. He chose to play in Buffalo. He wasn't forced to come here by trade. This is probably a result of the damage Regier and Co. have done. Where players like Montador, Lapenta and Ellis are the only players we should expect to be signed.

"Ripple effect?" Wasn't Rivet supposed to have a "ripple effect?" How did that turn out? Oh yeah Miller got run, his teammates turned the other way and the Sabres missed the playoffs for the 5th time in 7 years.

I'm not sure at my age if I can still "misunderestimate." I don't hate Montador and he does have toughness. He is also a shining example of the front office refusing to fully address the needs to this team. If the front office was serious about addressing the toughness issue it would have been addressed. Just like the back-up goalie position they refuse to make the investment needed. The toughness issue could have been address without breaking the bank or the self imposed budget.

I do appreciate one aspect of Steve Montador. He chose to play in Buffalo. He wasn't forced to come here by trade. This is probably a result of the damage Regier and Co. have done. Where players like Montador, Lapenta and Ellis are the only players we should expect to be signed.

Rivet was a very good addition, but he wasn't enough. I was begging for a Rivet-like forward all summer last year. I still want one this summer. No argument there. Having said that, I still think that with Montador playing 18+ minutes and Teppo gone, this defense will be more than a little tougher. Take out Tallinder (hopefully) from the top 6 and add Weber or even Myers, and there will be still more of an edge.

As for the backup goalie, Lalime is making $1MM, which is pretty respectable for a backup. You can say (and have said) that you don't like the choice of Lalime over others, but they didn't take the cheap way out. FWIW, I thought Lalime had a couple of crappy outings last year but for the most part played decent-to-good. I didn't like how after the first month of the season he would go a month between starts.

Even carp might approve: my proposed pairings were all set out lefty-righty:

Lefty-righty

Lydman-Rivet

Butler-Montador

Sekera-Myers

with Weber and Paetsch both extra lefties. Pretty sure Tallinder is also a lefty (another reason, if a lesser one, to unload him)

Missed this....this is what I really think they are aiming for....

I think they start the season without Myers and Tallinder is moved by Thanksgiving.

I agree -- he's got real potential and is well ahead of where Soupy was at the same age.

Every player has a different development cycle..Some players have an I get it moment others dont...Sekera makes dumb mistakes when being pressured with the puck..Throws the puck away at key times and got worse as the season moved on..He is no Brian Campbell no matter what stage of development he is compared to with Campbell...Slam on Campbell all you want for his stupid salary and the fact he chose to leave BUffalo for more money but the fact is he is an allstar, been there more than once and Sekera is far from it..I would take Campbell and his stupid salaryany day of the week over Sekera...

(For Now) :thumbsup:

Every player has a different development cycle..Some players have an I get it moment others dont...Sekera makes dumb mistakes when being pressured with the puck..Throws the puck away at key times and got worse as the season moved on..He is no Brian Campbell no matter what stage of development he is compared to with Campbell...Slam on Campbell all you want for his stupid salary and the fact he chose to leave BUffalo for more money but the fact is he is an allstar, been there more than once and Sekera is far from it..I would take Campbell and his stupid salaryany day of the week over Sekera...

Defensemen take a long time to develop. Sekera is still pretty young for a defensemen, and I don't expect him to really hit his stride for another year or two.

Since you drew the comparison...Sekera was 22 last season...Campbell at the same age was bouncing back and forth between the Amerks and the Sabres. I don't think anyone would argue that Campbell was anything close to an All Star at that point in his career. As a side note, I don't think Campbell was named an all star for being solid in his own zone :D .

Sekera

Scouting Report

Assets Has excellent mobility from the back end. Is an excellent passer and usually displays plenty of cool under pressure. Can log big minutes.

Flaws Needs to add more bulk to withstand the constant pounding of the NHL game. Is not at all physical and may get manhandled by bigger forwards.

Career potential Top four defenseman

Campbell

Scouting Report

Assets Is an extremely gifted offensive talent. Has plenty of creativity and intelligence with the puck. Owns outstanding mobility and confidence.

Flaws Can get easily knocked off the puck at the NHL level. His work in the defensive zone, and without the puck in general, can use some tightening up. Career potential Power play quarterback. Rushing defenseman.

Which guy would you rather have?

Defensemen take a long time to develop. Sekera is still pretty young for a defensemen, and I don't expect him to really hit his stride for another year or two.

Since you drew the comparison...Sekera was 22 last season...Campbell at the same age was bouncing back and forth between the Amerks and the Sabres. I don't think anyone would argue that Campbell was anything close to an All Star at that point in his career. As a side note, I don't think Campbell was named an all star for being solid in his own zone :D .

Well, you beat me to it. I'd just add that Campbell was getting healthy-scratched quite frequently at ages 24 and 25, and it wasn't because of his salary. As late as 2005, I didn't think he was going to cut it as an NHL defenseman.

BTW, I wasn't slamming Campbell. I like Campbell and would cite his departure as yet another incompetent butchering by the Sabres of a contract situation. I'm just saying that Sekera has some Campbell in him, and since Campbell took a long time to develop, it's likely that Sekera will get better over time too.

Why do you think comparing Sekara to Campbell is a slam on Campbell? Usually such comparisons are a type of compliment.

FWIW Campbell really wasn't getting top 4 minutes until 2007. There are many similarities to their games esp. the skating.....but also the cough ups at the same age. In 2004 I think it was a still an open question whether or not Campbell would make it in the NHL. And things really weren't clicking for him until spring of 2006. The remarkable thing about each player is how often they can make a mistake and recover with beautiful skating...

Missed this....this is what I really think they are aiming for....

I think they start the season without Myers and Tallinder is moved by Thanksgiving.

I'm starting to think that they'll give Myers and Webera shot in camp. If either looks to be ready for the big time, Tallinder will be shipped out.

Archived