MacArthur and Sekera sign contracts with Sabres

repster

Calm down. I know it's hard to hear negative things regarding one of the few morsels this front office offers it's fans. He's just not an impact player. You might as well get upset about Matt Ellis. The Sabres have gone this entire offseason to date and have not improved the roster even the slightest bit. That's where your rage needs to be directed.

I appreciate your concern, but I actually meant that you were the enraged beast. Either way, though, I think you are misunderestimating Montador. Of course he's not an "impact player" like Hossa or Bouwmeester would've been, but I think he's going to be a top-4 defenseman who plays hard and tough. He's going to fight anyone who runs Miller and he's going to jump into every scrum.

I think the net effect of subtracting the non-physical Tallinder (hopefully!) from the regulars and adding the blood-and-guts Montador -- and the ripple effects on Butler and Myers -- will be more than you are expecting.

The same Bruins team that grossly underachieved in the playoffs? The same Bruins team that ran away with the Eastern Conference and couldn't make it to the ECF? You think that maybe because of some problems on defense and the need to play a Steve Montador as much as they did was part of their problem?

So u r saying the Bruins had problems on d, and then decide to play Montador to fix those problems? Or u r saying he was part of the problem?

I don't see a guy that played 11 playoff games, got 3 points and was a plus+5 a "problem".

And all your barking and hootin' about someone needs to stand up for Miller and you don't like Montador? Pleeeez.

Correct. I'd also add that Sekera is far from certain to be top-4. The following would give us 3 lefty/righty pairs (assuming the stars align and we are able to unload Tallinder).

Lydman-Rivet

Butler-Montador

Sekera-Myers

with Weber and Paetsch (both lefties) on deck.

He played top-4 minutes for Anaheim and Boston last year -- 2 teams that were substantially better than the Sabres. I expect him to be top 4 on the Sabres. I'll go even further than that and say I expect you to like him.

There we go.

That Sekera-Myers pairing might be a weak link. In a couple of years undoubtedly that will be one of the best pairings around, but right now that could lead to a lot of trouble. One of the reasons that Butler transitioned in as well as he did was because of old hands Rivet and Teppo bringing him along very well - kudos to both of the old dogs!

However, Sekera has enough issues with his own game that he needs to work out first before being saddled with the responsibility of supporting a rookie.

The same Bruins team that grossly underachieved in the playoffs? The same Bruins team that ran away with the Eastern Conference and couldn't make it to the ECF? You think that maybe because of some problems on defense and the need to play a Steve Montador as much as they did was part of their problem?

Perhaps, but it seems much more likely that they lost because (i) in their 4 losses they scored 2, 2, 1 and 0 goals and (ii) Ward outplayed Thomas, who allowed 3, 3, 4 and 3 goals.

It's kind of a stretch to blame a playoff loss by a team that finished #1 in the EC on that team's #4 defenseman.

You can still be PO'd if this is the only move they make. I just don't think you should pretend that this guy is another Paetch or Ellis. It's patently false and therefore devalues your whole argument.

Calm down. I know it's hard to hear negative things regarding one of the few morsels this front office offers it's fans. He's just not an impact player. You might as well get upset about Matt Ellis. The Sabres have gone this entire offseason to date and have not improved the roster even the slightest bit. That's where your rage needs to be directed.

Yup, all three weeks of it. Free agency is 20 days old and you expect the Sabres to have gone from mediocre to playoff competitors. We still have 10 weeks until the season starts. Will it kill you to practice a little patience?

I don't quite get it. I think the league is waiting to see what happens to a few players in arbitration.

I'm kind of curious to see which players eventually face the choice between heading overseas or taking about $1 million even (maybe even less) just to stay. We just might see even more of it in the next two years if the predicted cap drop happens. It seems like those ridiculous contracts of the last 2-3 offseasons are finally starting to catch up.

I'm kind of curious to see which players eventually face the choice between heading overseas or taking about $1 million even (maybe even less) just to stay. We just might see even more of it in the next two years if the predicted cap drop happens. It seems like those ridiculous contracts of the last 2-3 offseasons are finally starting to catch up.

38 UFA's without a home......

http://www.fromtherink.com/2009/7/19/95483...-without-a-home

PLAYER Pos Age TM Cap hit

10 TANGUAY, ALEX LW 29.6 MTL 5.250

13 ZUBOV, SERGEI D 38.9 DAL 5.350

18 BIRON, MARTIN G 31.9 PHI 3.500

21 LANG, ROBERT C 38.5 MTL 4.000

29 FERNANDEZ, MANNY G 34.8 BOS 4.333

32 SUNDIN, MATS C 38.4 VAN 8.211

33 SYKORA, PETR RW 32.6 PIT 2.500

35 AXELSSON, P.J. LW 34.3 BOS 1.850

37 MORRIS, DEREK D 30.8 NYR 3.917

42 WILLIAMS, JASON C 28.9 CBJ 2.200

43 PYATT, TAYLOR LW 27.9 VAN 1.575

46 MALHOTRA, MANNY C 29.1 CBJ 1.200

47 SHANAHAN, BRENDAN LW 40.4 N.J 0.800

48 SEIDENBERG, DENNIS D 27.9 CAR 1.200

53 MOORE, DOMINIC C 28.9 BUF 0.900

55 COMRIE, MIKE C 28.8 OTT 4.000

62 GERBER, MARTIN G 34.8 TOR 3.700

63 SCHNEIDER, MATHIEU D 40.0 MTL 5.625

64 CULLIMORE, JASSEN D 36.6 FLA 0.830

66 HILBERT, ANDY C 28.4 NYI 0.675

68 SATAN, MIROSLAV RW 34.7 PIT 3.500

69 GRIER, MICHAEL RW 34.5 S.J 1.775

70 SILLINGER, MICHAEL C 38.0 NYI 2.200

71 PECA, MICHAEL C 35.3 CBJ 1.315

72 BETTS, BLAIR C 29.4 NYR 0.615

75 SKOULA, MARTIN D 29.7 MIN 1.800

78 BERGERON, M-A D 28.7 MIN 1.254

80 BOUILLON, FRANCIS D 33.7 MTL 1.875

81 HEDICAN, BRET D 38.9 ANA 0.871

82 NIEDERMAYER, ROB C 34.5 ANA 2.000

83 PELTONEN, VILLE LW 36.1 FLA 1.100

86 PERRIN, ERIC C 33.7 ATL 0.750

87 AFINOGENOV, MAXIM RW 29.8 BUF 3.333

88 BERTUZZI, TODD RW 34.4 CGY 1.950

90 BOUCHER, PHILIPPE D 36.3 PIT 2.400

93 BACKMAN, CHRISTIAN D 29.2 CBJ 2.300

95 BONK, RADEK C 33.5 NSH 1.475

100 BAYDA, RYAN LW 28.6 CAR 0.475

They can get a depth center so easily if they can find a taker for Tallinder.

I have stated it before and i still thouroughly believe that Darcy has this intention. However if he waits to long and fails to accept a trade in which isn't equal he will keep hank and his salary and the team will fail to land a decent 3rd line center. A player of Maholtra's ilk would do wonders for our 3rd line. Hecht could move back to wing to utilize him at his natural position.

all your barking and hootin' about someone needs to stand up for Miller and you don't like Montador? Pleeeez.

fair point. (sorry, deluca.)

i like montador just fine as fitting into the top-4. maybe in an ideal world, he's paired in the 5/6, but i don't see him in the top 4 as an obstacle to our making the playoffs.

i see plenty of other obstacles, but montador ain't one of them.

my main concern with montador is that he's under-sized to be taking as many punches as he does -- take a look at his fight cards and some of the accompanying video -- yeesh.

http://www.hockeyfights.com/players/496

fair point. (sorry, deluca.)

i like montador just fine as fitting into the top-4. maybe in an ideal world, he's paired in the 5/6, but i don't see him in the top 4 as an obstacle to our making the playoffs.

i see plenty of other obstacles, but montador ain't one of them.

my main concern with montador is that he's under-sized to be taking as many punches as he does -- take a look at his fight cards and some of the accompanying video -- yeesh.

http://www.hockeyfights.com/players/496

It's a minor but real concern....generally he'll show up. That's the good part.

He's not going to KO anybody.

I don't think Comrie has a job, which surprises me.

Comrie still thinks that he is a legitimate #2 center in the NHL, so he's looking for that kind of money. The problem is that after the last two seasons that he's had, teams don't share his belief. If he comes down to third-line numbers, even for a short-term contract, he could be a good deal for someone.

Correct. I'd also add that Sekera is far from certain to be top-4. The following would give us 3 lefty/righty pairs (assuming the stars align and we are able to unload Tallinder).

Lydman-Rivet

Butler-Montador

Sekera-Myers

with Weber and Paetsch (both lefties) on deck.

He played top-4 minutes for Anaheim and Boston last year -- 2 teams that were substantially better than the Sabres. I expect him to be top 4 on the Sabres. I'll go even further than that and say I expect you to like him.

There we go.

Didn't one of us put together a leftie-rightie list before? Might give some semblance of who's where.

My initial take

Rivet/Butler

Montador/Lydman

Sekera/Tallinder/Myers

My take would be that the rest of the league realizes that the difference in ability between the 6th forward and the ninth forward doesn't merit more then a $1.5 to 2.5 million salary. I have said it before and I will beat the drum again, its all about the top two lines, four blue liners and 1 goaltender. Its why the Hecht deal was ridiculous at the time and even more ridiculous now.

I'm still waiting for these "big" contracts to really hurt these teams the same way a lot of people around here keep waiting for that big cap fall next year.

My take would be that the rest of the league realizes that the difference in ability between the 6th forward and the ninth forward doesn't merit more then a $1.5 to 2.5 million salary. I have said it before and I will beat the drum again, its all about the top two lines, four blue liners and 1 goaltender. Its why the Hecht deal was ridiculous at the time and even more ridiculous now.

I'm still waiting for these "big" contracts to really hurt these teams the same way a lot of people around here keep waiting for that big cap fall next year.

I've always thought of it more as hurting the players, which is exactly what we're seeing here. Those big end deals leave less for the mid-level players, leaving you with a lot of top heavy teams with no depth. These are the kind of guys that can put a team over the top. Instead, they're stuck going the far more risky route of expecting entry level guys to fill the gaps.

Hopefully when these "big" contracts actually start to hurt they won't will change the rules to help out the major players. Otherwise all the penny pinching and savy deals in the world won't help.

Archived