MacArthur and Sekera sign contracts with Sabres

repster

Verbiage question:

(Link)

Does that mean they settled to avoid arbitration or is that was he was awarded (I believe that his hearing was scheduled for today) and they accepted it? I assume the former.

The arbitration decision never comes out the same day. That wording has to be for a compromise.

If you believe this translation and the source of the article, it is 2 years @ $1 million per season:

Translation

If true, I'd be quite happy with that deal.

(Credit due to SabresFan77 @ hfboards for posting the translation link.)

GR spoke with the Slov reporter, it's $1 million per.

Awesome deal to get Sekera re-signed at such a small sum. Jack Johnson just re-signed with the Kings a day prior to Sekera signing, and Johnson banked $2.85 over 2 years. Someone on another forum compared the two and thought both would get similar deals, although some said Johnson probably demanded a bit more due to his potential. However, i disagreed, because i would have thought Sekera would want a bit extra to keep him here and not go over seas. So i expected around $1.3-1.5 per for Sekera.

Also glad MacArthur is signed. I actually like the player. He took several steps last year for us IMO, led the team in 3rd period goals in the 2nd part of the season and i think he still has potential. This is a make it or break it season for him.

Awesome in a sense they didn't overpay a player that has accomplished zilch in the NHL to this point. At least now there is more time to see if this kid has a long term future in the NHL.

MacArthur? I am not joking when I say I forget he is on the team. Could the money have been spent better? Yes? Ian Laperriere makes $1.166 mil a year, Colton Orr makes $1 mill and Travis Moen makes $1.5 mil. Hopefully many of the posters here are right and this kid is signed just to be moved at a later date.

MacArthur? I am not joking when I say I forget he is on the team. Could the money have been spent better? Yes? Ian Laperriere makes $1.166 mil a year, Colton Orr makes $1 mill and Travis Moen makes $1.5 mil. Hopefully many of the posters here are right and this kid is signed just to be moved at a later date.

I agree. There are several players out there that could have been had for around that $1.4 million or less that probably could have had a greater impact. In addition to tough guys like you've listed, I'd add guys like Manny Malhotra, who is strong on faceoffs, kills penalties and could center a third line (either moving Goose to the wing or to a more effective and more ofter played fourth line.) He reportedly is looking for $1.5-2 million, but hasn't had any takers yet, so could probably be had for $1.5 million per.

Mac was actually pretty good for three periods of last season: at the beginning (6G, 3A in the first 13 games), in late December (5G, 3A in 7 games) and down the stretch in late March/early April (5G in the last 8 games.) Otherwise, he disappeared for the rest of the season (1G, 8A in the remaining 43 games.) It did seem like he stepped up when they asked him to do more, but wouldn't work as hard or even as smartly when stuck on lower lines. Maybe he needs better linesmates to perform (i.e., he's a good support player, who can't do it all himself, but can add a lot to a talented line) or maybe he lacks motivation (or sulks) when he's on a lower line. Ideally, if he stays, they'll figure out what he needs to get him to produce consistently like he did in those stretches. If he does, that $1.4 million might even seem cheap.

I have wanted a cheap vet forward for the 3rd or 4th line, but I have given up hope after a couple of years. DR is just to in love with the roster to make significant changes.

I have wanted a cheap vet forward for the 3rd or 4th line, but I have given up hope after a couple of years. DR is just to in love with the roster to make significant changes.

It is that "love" that will doom this team until changes are made. :censored:

I agree. There are several players out there that could have been had for around that $1.4 million or less that probably could have had a greater impact. In addition to tough guys like you've listed, I'd add guys like Manny Malhotra, who is strong on faceoffs, kills penalties and could center a third line (either moving Goose to the wing or to a more effective and more ofter played fourth line.) He reportedly is looking for $1.5-2 million, but hasn't had any takers yet, so could probably be had for $1.5 million per.

Mac was actually pretty good for three periods of last season: at the beginning (6G, 3A in the first 13 games), in late December (5G, 3A in 7 games) and down the stretch in late March/early April (5G in the last 8 games.) Otherwise, he disappeared for the rest of the season (1G, 8A in the remaining 43 games.) It did seem like he stepped up when they asked him to do more, but wouldn't work as hard or even as smartly when stuck on lower lines. Maybe he needs better linesmates to perform (i.e., he's a good support player, who can't do it all himself, but can add a lot to a talented line) or maybe he lacks motivation (or sulks) when he's on a lower line. Ideally, if he stays, they'll figure out what he needs to get him to produce consistently like he did in those stretches. If he does, that $1.4 million might even seem cheap.

I listed tougher players because this team has yet to address the issue. They signed Montado but he is not a everyday player. If Montador is in your top six that means some of the young defensemen have greatly disappointed or injuries have occurred. If would be nice if they added a couple of everyday players that you can count on for 82 games that bring the physical presence this team desperately needs. It's frustrating to think this team is going into the 2009-10 season with the same roster that has failed over the past two seasons.

If Montador is in your top six that means some of the young defensemen have greatly disappointed or injuries have occurred.

Montador might even be in the top 4. Who is there for certain? Rivet, Sekera, Lydman...Does Butler get those kind of minutes? Tallinder sure as hell doesn't, if he is even on the team. Paetsch is #7 or 8, if Myers makes the team, which I doubt, that still leaves Montador easily in the top 6. Right now I'd say it's a toss up between Montador and Butler for top 4 minutes.

He has to backcheck like a demon to add value to this team.

He's got great hands, he just needs to contribute defensively when he isn't scoring.

He'll find the net....he just isn't a natural on team defense....I think Kennedy will push him for a 3rd line spot, He looks much more natural at it from what I could tell...

Montador might even be in the top 4. Who is there for certain? Rivet, Sekera, Lydman...Does Butler get those kind of minutes? Tallinder sure as hell doesn't, if he is even on the team. Paetsch is #7 or 8, if Myers makes the team, which I doubt, that still leaves Montador easily in the top 6. Right now I'd say it's a toss up between Montador and Butler for top 4 minutes.

If Montador is top 4 on this team :doh: then the word "playoff" should be banned from the board along with the "T" word. :censored:

Paetsch? How is he making $850k? A few seasons ago I though this kid could be a serviceable # 6 defensman with his ability to play wing. Has his game developed even a little? You put Paetsch's cap hit with MacArthur's and you have some money to go get an actual NHL player.

He played 78 games last year for a pair of conference semi-finalists. How that qualifies him as "not an everyday player" is beyond me.

He played 78 games last year for a pair of conference semi-finalists. How that qualifies him as "not an everyday player" is beyond me.

He's roster filler. Teams, especially the really good ones, need players to fill out the roster who come cheap. The problem is the Sabres have too many of those type of players and in some cases are grossly overpaying those players.

He's roster filler. Teams, especially the really good ones, need players to fill out the roster who come cheap. The problem is the Sabres have too many of those type of players and in some cases are grossly overpaying those players.

So he played 78 games in the regular season and every playoff game and he's just a roster filler. Got it.

Correct. I'd also add that Sekera is far from certain to be top-4. The following would give us 3 lefty/righty pairs (assuming the stars align and we are able to unload Tallinder).

Lydman-Rivet

Butler-Montador

Sekera-Myers

with Weber and Paetsch (both lefties) on deck.

If Montador is top 4 on this team :doh: then the word "playoff" should be banned from the board along with the "T" word. :censored:

He played top-4 minutes for Anaheim and Boston last year -- 2 teams that were substantially better than the Sabres. I expect him to be top 4 on the Sabres. I'll go even further than that and say I expect you to like him.

There we go.

...choked with rage, the great beast would not listen to reason. He stormed the executive offices, goring flesh and spilling blood until there was none left to be spilled. Only then did he rest.

So he played 78 games in the regular season and every playoff game and he's just a roster filler. Got it.

It's shouldn't be that hard for you to understand. Teams have their top line guys and carry some guys because they are priced right. If Montador was a sought after commodity he wouldn't be with the Sabres. He is a huge down grade from Spacek. His contribution will be spot duty when the regulars are are out and hopefully he'll knock around his teammates in practice and toughen them up. If you're looking for Montador to come in and solidify this defense or be a impact player you're dreaming. He's cheap and can fill in.

It's shouldn't be that hard for you to understand. Teams have their top line guys and carry some guys because they are priced right. If Montador was a sought after commodity he wouldn't be with the Sabres. He is a huge down grade from Spacek. His contribution will be spot duty when the regulars are are out and hopefully he'll knock around his teammates in practice and toughen them up. If you're looking for Montador to come in and solidify this defense or be a impact player you're dreaming. He's cheap and can fill in.

Please stop dodging the question and answer it: if he's that marginal of a player, why, exactly, did he play the 4th-most minutes (19:33 per game) on the ENTIRE TEAM for the Bruins in the playoffs? Here are the stats.

We get it: you're PO'd at DR and the team in general. But you're now twisting the facts to meet your preferred narrative.

...choked with rage, the great beast would not listen to reason. He stormed the executive offices, goring flesh and spilling blood until there was none left to be spilled. Only then did he rest.

Calm down. I know it's hard to hear negative things regarding one of the few morsels this front office offers it's fans. He's just not an impact player. You might as well get upset about Matt Ellis. The Sabres have gone this entire offseason to date and have not improved the roster even the slightest bit. That's where your rage needs to be directed.

Please stop dodging the question and answer it: if he's that marginal of a player, why, exactly, did he play the 4th-most minutes (19:33 per game) on the ENTIRE TEAM for the Bruins in the playoffs? Here are the stats.

We get it: you're PO'd at DR and the team in general. But you're now twisting the facts to meet your preferred narrative.

The same Bruins team that grossly underachieved in the playoffs? The same Bruins team that ran away with the Eastern Conference and couldn't make it to the ECF? You think that maybe because of some problems on defense and the need to play a Steve Montador as much as they did was part of their problem?

Archived