The Music Thread

darksabre

54 minutes ago, steveoath said:

Play my first gig with new band tomorrow. First time I've played a show in almost 10 years. Will no doubt be wearing some Sabres colours! 

On insta as @gehazighc if you like shouty aggro stuff ???

Hell yeah, best of luck. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

On 5/20/2019 at 6:27 PM, inkman said:

I've been listening to Wu Tang Clan - Of Mics and Men on Showtime. It's ***** awesome. Rza's sampling of old school R&B is nuts. Here's a hook anyone who has any ear for hip hop will recognize two seconds in. 

I could listen to that with some bourbon and weed all night. Oh wait, I already have. 

Thanks, just listened to all of 36 Chambers and Forever because of you. Wu Tang stays in my car and/or man cave permanently.

You did remind me of this article I saw a little bit ago though. It's about the diversity in vocabulary used by rappers. Wu Tang were lyrical killers! 

https://pudding.cool/projects/vocabulary/index.html

• Like (+1) 1

Watching Devo - The Complete Truth About De-Evolution on Netflix.  See it!

1)  What an important band.

2)  Watch Mothersbaugh, below, and see Byrne some years later.

3)   You can divide the word into two groups ...  Devo touched you, or didn't.

Edited by Neo
  • Like (+1) 1

I'm going to start a thing. Albums that inkman approved of. It's slightly music related but more related to bands and their incessant ability to name albums after dongs. Let's start with:

220px-Wham!_Make_It_Big_European_cover.jpeg

While many thought this album was named due to their desire for success, those in the know, understand the true meaning of the title and it's penile double entendre.  

Edited by inkman

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎5‎/‎31‎/‎2019 at 7:07 PM, Neo said:

Watching Devo - The Complete Truth About De-Evolution on Netflix.  See it!

1)  What an important band.

2)  Watch Mothersbaugh, below, and see Byrne some years later.

3)   You can divide the word into two groups ...  Devo touched you, or didn't.

I recall when punk came out - it was a relatively short burst, the very first time.  Then came Devo and that "new wave" sound for a short period. 

I listen to a lot of music today and have several thousand vinyl records, about 500+ CDs, and now I stream and use music services too.  Devo may have touched me at the time but for me it did not last and today I do not play their music, or much music at all from that genre.

The last 10 years or so I went backwards in my timeline and listened to a lot of Blues and Jazz from the 50's and 60's.   Those original artists that were influences to so many bands in the late 60's, 70's and 80's. 

Now, at 60+,  I am starting to find some newer music that is exciting too. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Pimlach said:

I recall when punk came out - it was a relatively short burst, the very first time.  Then came Devo and that "new wave" sound or a short period. 

I listen to a lot of music today and have several thousand vinyl records, about 500+ CDs, and now I stream and use music services too.  Devo may have touched me at the time but for me it did not last and today I do not play their music, or much music at all from that genre.

Devo was formed in 1973, which was several years before the Sex Pistols became a phenomenon. The band recorded this song in or around 1974. It still sounds like it came from outer space, or somewhere not of this earth.

Taste in music is inherently subjective, so there's little use in debating preferences. 

But, as for music that came from the punk scene, if you can't still spin London Calling (not really punk, I admit) and feel moved or inspired, I'm not sure what to say.

• Thanks (+1) 2