The Music Thread

darksabre

• 5 weeks later...

I know it’s classical music, but Jean Sibelius was truly a gifted musician and composer.

There’s a reason why I chose this specific recording. Sibelius was well aware of how Herbert von Karajan interpreted his compositions, and flat out said that he preferred von Karajan over anyone else in his time because “he’s the only one who truly understands me”.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Pimlach said:

Charles Mingus was a fine composer, bass player, and band leader. 

He must have influenced successive generations in jazz. I’m not well versed in that genre, but John Patitucci is one of the biggest names in jazz bass today.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

3 hours ago, FogBat said:

He must have influenced successive generations in jazz. I’m not well versed in that genre, but John Patitucci is one of the biggest names in jazz bass today.

Yes indeed and I hope you enjoyed the song.   Mingus was definitely an influential artist for future generations.  Patitucci is a true virtuoso on the bass, to me less of a composer than Mingus.  I like them both a lot.  

13 hours ago, FogBat said:

Patiitucci is a monster bass player, but he doesn’t even come close to being as influential as Mingus, then and still, and not just to bassists, but all musicians and composers.

Edited by SwampD
  • Like (+1) 1

On 6/28/2022 at 10:36 PM, Pimlach said:

Yes indeed and I hope you enjoyed the song.   Mingus was definitely an influential artist for future generations.  Patitucci is a true virtuoso on the bass, to me less of a composer than Mingus.  I like them both a lot.  

On 6/29/2022 at 7:52 AM, SwampD said:

Patiitucci is a monster bass player, but he doesn’t even come close to being as influential as Mingus, then and still, and not just to bassists, but all musicians and composers.

Totally agree. Patitucci is very good at what he does. He can cover different genres if needed. I remember when I first heard about him playing for Chick Corea. Then I saw way back in the late eighties when he was credited with playing bass for Twila Paris. I was like, “what’s he doing playing for her?!” Then I came to find out a couple of years later that he’s an evangelical Christian. So, that made sense as to why he was in the studio to help record one of her albums.

Speaking of basses, I just bought one a month ago. I’m looking forward to working on it and see what I can do in the coming months and years.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

While the term emerged in the early 1960s to describe what were known as *garage bands* ... bands with no formal musical training (as opposed to The Beatles, Stones ...).

Joe and Mick described The Clash as a garage band and sang that they were and came form Garage Land.

I do believe that this was the first time that the term was used to describe the late 70s music.  From 1977 ...

Edited by Sabres Fan in NS

I haven't been around much lately. Did they merge the 'Concerts you plan to attend' thread into this one??

Anywho....I got four tix for Metallica and GVF. My daughter is coming in from Michigan just to see Greta Van Fleet. It's her favorite band. She does also like Metallica. I'm going just for Metallica. Will be my 3rd time seeing them. Never outside though. I can't wait. They put on an amazing show.

Then, 2 days later on Saturday night, we are going to see Bush, Breaking Benjamin and Alice In Chains in Syracuse. My daughter and I are both looking forward to see AIC. It sucks that 2 of the original members are gone, but Jerry Cantrell is still there and he has always been the heartbeat of that band. Gonna be a crazy few days. 

• Like (+1) 1

Picked up 2 tickets to see Billy Strings in Rochester in August.  Had tickets to see him May 2020 at Babeville but that ended up getting cancelled. 

This guy inspired me to pick my guitar back up and try something different with it a few years ago.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

• 1 month later...
15 minutes ago, Weave said:

What is the point of this?  Honest question.

My buddy is a collector. The art of some the vinyl is part of it. Some are really cool. I think this is pretty cool.

I wonder if they can get into trouble for distributing weed to states where it is still illegal.

Edited by SwampD

• 2 weeks later...