The Music Thread

darksabre

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, Sakman said:

As of 10/27/21, both Tommy and Dick Smothers are both still alive. I find that amazing for some reason. Tom is 84, Dick is 82. I would have thought they were both north of 90 or pushing up daisies. Learn something new every day. 

I'm kinda shocked by this, as well. They must have been really young when they were coming up.

The Smothers Brothers always make me think of my dad. I play upright bass and my brother plays guitar. We both sing. We performed a song at my sister's wedding and my dad got such a kick out of calling us the ***** Smothers Brothers.

Looks like I'm going down a YouTube vortex. Those are some funny talented dudes.

• Like (+1) 3

12 hours ago, SwampD said:

I'm kinda shocked by this, as well. They must have been really young when they were coming up.

The Smothers Brothers always make me think of my dad. I play upright bass and my brother plays guitar. We both sing. We performed a song at my sister's wedding and my dad got such a kick out of calling us the ***** Smothers Brothers.

Looks like I'm going down a YouTube vortex. Those are some funny talented dudes.

Wow.  That puts them in their 20's when they got The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour.

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Weave said:

You had to be there when they were relevant. 

Ok, they have a legendary library of music. I enjoy a ***** load of their songs. I'm deliberately being an ass hat.

However...context. I was at a beer festival today featuring a Fleetwood Mac cover band, a Stones cover band and an AC/DC cover band. All things being equal, AC/DC are the headliners, here. It's not even close. 

23 hours ago, The Ghost of Doohickie said:

I am feeling nostalgic this morning.

I remember dancing all night when this came out.

I was 18.  Mercy!!

I will never stop finding it funny that Vince Clarke left Depeche Mode complaining they were too lightweight, went on to do this and Erasure ,while DM went dark almost as soon as he left.  

• Like (+1) 2

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

Without Carl Palmer, there is no Neil Peart.

Thoughts?

Dude, there is no way that Carl is Neil's father.

More seriously, they started out pretty much in the same era, so I don't know, but Carl is universally recognized as a top 10 drummer in the modern history of drummers.  Neil, IMO, is not far behind, or maybe is / should be top 10 too.  I have not seen the listing.  Anyway, it is posssible that they infulenced each other.

What is truely sad is that only the 'P' of ELP is still with us.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, The Ghost of Doohickie said:

Dude, there is no way that Carl is Neil's father.

More seriously, they started out pretty much in the same era, so I don't know, but Carl is universally recognized as a top 10 drummer in the modern history of drummers.  Neil, IMO, is not far behind, or maybe is / should be top 10 too.  I have not seen the listing.  Anyway, it is posssible that they infulenced each other.

What is truely sad is that only the 'P' of ELP is still with us.

I think Carl Palmer came to prominence just prior to Neil Peart, and ELP's best stuff was already released when Peart joined Rush.  Neil's style didn't emerge fully formed, I think, until 2112 in 1976.

If Wikipedia is to be believed, "He drew most of his inspiration from drummers such as Keith Moon, Ginger Baker, and John Bonham, players who were at the forefront of the British hard rock scene. As time passed, he began to emulate jazz and big band musicians Gene Krupa and Buddy Rich."  But Keith, Ginger and John didn't play with the same precision runs as Carl Palmer.  It seems to me that Neil likely heard these runs and expanded them into the incredible drum runs that became typical in Rush songs.

• Like (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 10/28/2021 at 8:55 AM, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

Wow.  That puts them in their 20's when they got The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour.

they were 28 and 30 respectively when the show started in 67.

i think it was the folk music they did that made us children think they were older..

• Like (+1) 1