The Music Thread

darksabre

Just now, RETURNTOGLORY said:

Absolutely! His first few shows have been met with resounding success and great reviews. The kid does have "IT". 

Can't wait to see them in Columbus September 23.  I have a mediation in federal court the next day for work, but I'm still partying hard for that show.

• Like (+1) 1

On 8/1/2021 at 11:28 AM, Doohickie said:

Ah, the burden of being raised a Good Catholic Boy.

And the odd thing is that some of us weren't raised Catholic, but we had some passing knowledge about it - Monty Python notwithstanding.

• Like (+1) 1

On 8/3/2021 at 10:56 AM, RETURNTOGLORY said:

Absolutely! His first few shows have been met with resounding success and great reviews. The kid does have "IT". 

I was at the show at MetLife and Mammoth WVH just blew me away. Honestly one of the best opening acts I have ever seen, even better than many "name" openers I've seen on loaded tours. Fun fact is that when they did the Van Hagar tour in the early/mid 2000's I saw them at the Meadowlands Arena and Wolfgang (who was like 14 at the time IIRC) came on stage and did a few songs with his dad.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, sabremike said:

I was at the show at MetLife and Mammoth WVH just blew me away. Honestly one of the best opening acts I have ever seen, even better than many "name" openers I've seen on loaded tours. Fun fact is that when they did the Van Hagar tour in the early/mid 2000's I saw them at the Meadowlands Arena and Wolfgang (who was like 14 at the time IIRC) came on stage and did a few songs with his dad.

Excellent Mike!

• Thanks (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...

4AADC8D6-8CA4-45C0-8E88-DE4AE6E9DDF6.thumb.jpeg.5e73d525e4f1191265a6cb82e437863a.jpeg

Vivaldi - Four Seasons 

London Symphony Orchestra 

A Duetsche Grammophon record album, back in the day this was recorded and pressed in West Germany to exacting standards  … this performance and the sound quality will please you. 

• Like (+1) 3

Does anyone else watch "reaction videos" of people listening to songs for the first time?  I have a few YouTube channels that I follow, but one in particular has captivated me:  The Charistmatic Voice.  It's the blog of Elizabeth Zharoff, an opera singer and voice instructor who has several reaction videos of rock and metal songs.  She is so earnest, so technically brilliant, and so lovely that I can't get enough of her (yes I know that sounds creepy).

She is technically very knowledgeable about vocal performance, yet literally swoons to songs by the Righteous Brothers... and still manages to break down why their songs are so good.

51390313454_122ec50fc9_c.jpg

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Doohickie said:

Does anyone else watch "reaction videos" of people listening to songs for the first time?  I have a few YouTube channels that I follow, but one in particular has captivated me:  The Charistmatic Voice.  It's the blog of Elizabeth Zharoff, an opera singer and voice instructor who has several reaction videos of rock and metal songs.  She is so earnest, so technically brilliant, and so lovely that I can't get enough of her (yes I know that sounds creepy).

She is technically very knowledgeable about vocal performance, yet literally swoons to songs by the Righteous Brothers... and still manages to break down why their songs are so good.

I've been ignoring these when they show up in my feed.  Based on this I'll watch next time.

1 hour ago, Weave said:

I've been ignoring these when they show up in my feed.  Based on this I'll watch next time.

I enjoy these a lot. it's fun to watch someone listen to something that I've heard a million times, it kind of brings new life to it. My favorite is Lost in Vegas listening to Roundabout

Edited by rakish
They're listening to , not watching
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Weave said:

They can be hit and miss, and a host that one person enjoys will just grate on another's nerves.  The background of the host I linked to is that she is an opera singer and voice teacher.  She uses her formal "teacher voice" at the beginning of the segment until the music starts but then real personality comes though.  She looks at the vocals more than anything else and although she's a high-end voice professional she's very good at relating her analysis in terms this music dummy can understand.  The first video of hers I watched was Aqualung (a live version) and at first it was just total shock and didn't know what to make of Ian Anderson.

Jamel aka Jamal is "just a guy" with no special music training as far as I can tell.  He's younger than me and grew up on hip hop and rap so he's listening to a lot of rock songs for the first time.  He picked up on a few things I never paid attention to in his review of Never Been Any Reason.

Another one I watch is Rick Beato, a record producer who is my age.  I find him relatable as a guy but get lost in the technical terms he uses; he a music wonk used to working with other music wonks and is used to talking in technical lingo.

David Bennett Piano doesn't do reaction videos as such; he does musical analysis, answering questions like "Did the Beatles know music theory?"  I learned a lot of music theory watching that particular video.  Again, because he teaches, he is good at explaining terms to dummies like me.  He puts a lot of work into his videos including animated graphics and stuff that reinforces his verbal descriptions.

If you start watching some of this stuff on Youtube you'll see other Youtube channels pop up that deal with the songs/subjects you're watching which is how I found all these people.

They're not for everybody.  In fact, I have to be in the right mood to enjoy them.

3 hours ago, rakish said:

I enjoy these a lot. it's fun to watch someone listen to something that I've heard a million times, it kind of brings new life to it. My favorite is Lost in Vegas listening to Roundabout

"I have nothing to say, I just want to rewind it."  Preach! 😄

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, rakish said:

it kind of brings new life to it.

Agree.  I remember listening to this song as a kid and thinking all the same things these guys are saying.  Now when I listen to songs like Roundabout I just kind of take it for granted.  Nice to take me back to the initial wonder.

These guys are good because they play well off each other.  They bounce ideas off each other to advance their understanding.

"What Roundabout means?"  We don't know.  We don't know.

Edited by Doohickie
  • Like (+1) 1

On 5/6/2020 at 11:59 PM, Doohickie said:

Leon Bridges

I used that particular video because it shows off Fort Worth.... I know virtually all the sets; I've even had my hair cut by the same barber ("Straight Razor Steve").  Before signing with Columbia Records he used to play open mic nights around Fort Worth, riding his bicycle to them from his dishwashing job because he couldn't afford a car at the time.

Another of my favorite songs of his:

So I saw Leon Bridges when I was out running errands today. 

I saw a nice old silver Pontiac GTO.  I kind of gawked at it and ended up making eye contact with the passenger, so I waved.  When the driver saw my wave, he waved back and I got a good look at him and thought, that sure looks like Leon.

When I got home I searched leon bridges car and this hit was on the first page:

1200x0.jpg

Yep, that's the car.

Edited by Doohickie
  • Like (+1) 1

On 8/20/2021 at 12:53 AM, Doohickie said:

I wonder how she would break down and analyze George "Corpsegrinder" Fisher.

On 8/20/2021 at 6:08 AM, rakish said:

Excellent review of Roundabout by Yes.  These guys are cool and very open minded on music and they really connected to this.  The first time I heard this on a decent stereo, way back in 8th grade, it blew me away as well.  

• Like (+1) 1

RIP Charlie Watts.  Totally underrated drummer of The Rolling Stones.  

The drum beat is this song describes his play.  Classic rock beat.  Understated and perfect.

I once blew out a woofer on a friends JBL loudspeaker.  The bass from Charlie’s kick drum pedal popped the woofer out and it stuck in the pushed out position.  

Edited by Pimlach