The Music Thread

darksabre

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/7/2021 at 1:40 PM, New Scotland (NS) said:

Woof ...

One of those 80s songs that has stood the test of time, along with "Our House" by Madness - which, while both bad and good, has been embedded in our minds because it was a product of its time.

Speaking of period pieces, I still hate "We Built This City" by Starship. I have to listen to Cannibal Corpse to get that piece out of my head.

• Like (+1) 1

Went to a little Mac & Cheese festival today. They had a cover band playing. They were pretty solid. Classic and modern rock and country hits. Pretty standard stuff for the most part. Then they broke out Atlantic City by The Band. Man, that's a great jam.

Testament, Exodus and Death Angel coming to Buffalo Oct 28th. That's one old school metal show at its finest. 

On 6/26/2021 at 11:57 AM, bunomatic said:

Anyone hear the foofighters are putting out a disco album/tribute to the Gibb bros.

album title-Hail Satin

sorry if this has been discussed I haven’t waded thru the thread.

Too bad they suck. Can't stand those guys still milking off Curt Cobains teat just like Courtney Love. David Grohl sucks on his own. Just keep.screaming man. He's a mediocre guitar player at best. Sooooo overrated.

3 minutes ago, Claude Balls said:

Testament, Exodus and Death Angel coming to Buffalo Oct 28th. That's one old school metal show at its finest. 

You have my attention.

3 minutes ago, Claude Balls said:

David Grohl sucks on his own. Just keep.screaming man. He's a mediocre guitar player at best. Sooooo overrated.

You lost my attention, lol.

• Haha (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, Claude Balls said:

Too bad they suck. Can't stand those guys still milking off Curt Cobains teat just like Courtney Love. David Grohl sucks on his own. Just keep.screaming man. He's a mediocre guitar player at best. Sooooo overrated.

Yeah and they have what, eight guitar players ? I don’t disagree with you and disco ain’t my thing. Thought it was interesting considering where Grohl and Pat Smear came from. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Claude Balls said:

I think Grohl himself would tell you he’s an average guitar player.

I‘ve never thought of him as a guitar player, anyway. Same with Bruce. They are singer songwriters who play guitar, and are all about the show. I’m not particularly a fan of either, but they are really good at what they do.

• Like (+1) 2

13 hours ago, SwampD said:

I think Grohl himself would tell you he’s an average guitar player.

I‘ve never thought of him as a guitar player, anyway. Same with Bruce. They are singer songwriters who play guitar, and are all about the show. I’m not particularly a fan of either, but they are really good at what they do.

Bruce as in Bruce Springsteen? Yeah, I don't think he can hold a candle to Andrés Segovia.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Sakman said:

How the hell did I get to 51 years of age and only now stumble onto Funkadelic?  My 24 year old turned me on to it!

att mind blown GIF

Don't sweat the 51 years.  Thank your lucky stars for your 24-year old.  The mothership has been here far longer than we have!

Here is Eddie Hazel at his finest...

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

35 minutes ago, BagBoy said:

Don't sweat the 51 years.  Thank your lucky stars for your 24-year old.  The mothership has been here far longer than we have!

Here is Eddie Hazel at his finest...

I'm thinking Roger Waters and David Gilmour tripped out to this before recording Dark Side.

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, Doohickie said:

I'm thinking Roger Waters and David Gilmour tripped out to this before recording Dark Side.

The timing is right for Pink Floyd to hear this pre-Dark Side, but there was no tripping involved.  The original Pink Floyd line-up of Syd Barrett, Roger Waters, Rick Wright and Nick Mason was an astoundingly heavy psychedelic drug consuming entity, but it was due 100% to the intake of Syd Barrett alone.  Syd was basically taking acid/LSD every single day, in large quantities, among other things.  Everyone else in Pink Floyd, including David Gilmour, who replaced Syd, never had any use whatsoever for any kind of drugs.  I read Roger tried pot once (back when it was 5% as strong as it is now), and had an anxiety attack.  Stoners love Pink Floyd, but Pink Floyd were never stoners, not even remotely.

Here is one of my favorite Syd songs...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, BagBoy said:

The original Pink Floyd line-up of Syd Barrett, Roger Waters, Rick Wright and Nick Mason was an astoundingly heavy psychedelic drug consuming entity

I'm well aware.  But it was primarily Barrett that was heavy into drugs.  The rest experimented a bit but mostly stuck to pot.