The Music Thread

darksabre

3 hours ago, Crosschecking said:

Those change-ups are actually quite impressive.

Then there’s this Iranian expat doing a Cannibal Corpse cover: 

This is awesome.  I would never have thought that was a female if it was just audio.

My interest in metal dissipated decades ago but I still have some go-to bands that get my adrenaline going (Machine Head, Pantera, Slipknot). Just recently got into Code Orange.  Check out "Swallowing the Rabbit Whole" for crazy changeups.  The whole album is loaded with crazy (impressive) *****.

41 minutes ago, Weave said:

Cookie monster.  Never heard it called that.  Funny.

Guttural lyrics is where my interest in metal fades pretty quickly.  I've pretty much ignored Jinjer for that reason.  That, and the obvious "look, we're awesome because we've got a hot chic fronting the band" marketing.

I had to get past that as well, but, well, she is hot.

Oh, and the bass player is really good.

18 hours ago, Weave said:

Cookie monster.  Never heard it called that.  Funny.

Guttural lyrics is where my interest in metal fades pretty quickly.  I've pretty much ignored Jinjer for that reason.  That, and the obvious "look, we're awesome because we've got a hot chic fronting the band" marketing.

I like Cookie Monster singing... never heard that either.  I also tend to step away as soon as that guttural lyric crap comes into play.  It's never really appealed to me.  If their songs never employed that I would probably listen to them... but I just can't keep it on with that style of singing in it.

4 hours ago, Indabuff said:

Guilty pleasure song that I've spinning at least once a week during this *****:

That was my sis-in-law's running song when she ran cross country in high school.  She's a grandmother now.  This song is OLD.

A couple of local acts did an online concert last week.  They had about 4000 people watching (I think the service they used had about a 4000 listener limit because it was constantly there the whole two hours).  They hoped to raise $25k for the Southside C.A.R.E.S. Fund, benefiting local creatives and service industry workers.  Anyway, they raised over $63k.  The two singers were Abraham Alexander

...and Leon Bridges

I used that particular video because it shows off Fort Worth.... I know virtually all the sets; I've even had my hair cut by the same barber ("Straight Razor Steve").  Before signing with Columbia Records he used to play open mic nights around Fort Worth, riding his bicycle to them from his dishwashing job because he couldn't afford a car at the time.

Another of my favorite songs of his:

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Doohickie said:

A couple of local acts did an online concert last week.  They had about 4000 people watching (I think the service they used had about a 4000 listener limit because it was constantly there the whole two hours).  They hoped to raise $25k for the Southside C.A.R.E.S. Fund, benefiting local creatives and service industry workers.  Anyway, they raised over $63k.  The two singers were Abraham Alexander

...and Leon Bridges

I used that particular video because it shows off Fort Worth.... I know virtually all the sets; I've even had my hair cut by the same barber ("Straight Razor Steve").  Before signing with Columbia Records he used to play open mic nights around Fort Worth, riding his bicycle to them from his dishwashing job because he couldn't afford a car at the time.

Another of my favorite songs of his:

Leon Bridges is an absolute treasure. Certainly not what I was expecting when you said local act and it does not surprise me it was at full capacity. He’s an amazing vocalist. 

2 hours ago, Tondas said:

Probably my favorite song from a way underrated classic rock band.  Robert Plant of Zepplin said Burton Cummings had the strongest voice he ever heard.  I'd put Burton up there with Freddie Mercury, Steve Perry, Ann Wilson and all the great classic rock vocalists.  And I don't think Randy Bachman (lead guitar) ever played a standard chord fingering in his life (that would be too easy)!  I got to see them live at the After Dark in Lockport in the 70's.

JFC, what year was this from?  Cummings looks like he's rocking a grunge look.  I'd even go as far as to say he wouldn't look out of place today with that fashion.   

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Indabuff said:

JFC, what year was this from?  Cummings looks like he's rocking a grunge look.  I'd even go as far as to say he wouldn't look out of place today with that fashion.   

1973 my friend.

Kansas always had an uplifting, spiritual nature to their songs.  This one was a favorite.  Means different things to different people.  Sorry I couldn't find a live video to do it justice.  Really like the ascending guitar/violin solo at the end.

Edited by Tondas
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

On 5/7/2020 at 4:44 PM, Weave said:

The Guess Who was an awesome band.  One of my favorites.

I'm not guessing.  Who are you talking about?

On 5/7/2020 at 6:47 PM, Indabuff said:

JFC, what year was this from?  Cummings looks like he's rocking a grunge look. 

Before the Grunge Movement, that look was called "Canadian."

• Haha (+1) 2

Top 3 drummer vocalists:

1.  Don Henley

2.  Phil Collins

3 . Karen Carpenter.

And I'm selling Karen short.  May she rest in peace.

Edited by Tondas
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1