The Music Thread

darksabre

It's funny, all the reviews for these speakers said that they tended a little towards the "bright" side and lacked bass, but I'm finding the exact opposite. It's probably because my receiver is not the best quality, but I've found I have to push the treble up a lot to get these speakers to come to life, especially at low to medium volume (easy listening while I work). I've got a Yamaha 2 channel receiver (bluetooth! fancy!) coming tomorrow so it'll be interesting to compare the sound from that music-oriented receiver against this ~15 year old Sony AV Receiver that I picked up at Radioshack.

1 hour ago, darksabre said:

It's funny, all the reviews for these speakers said that they tended a little towards the "bright" side and lacked bass, but I'm finding the exact opposite. It's probably because my receiver is not the best quality, but I've found I have to push the treble up a lot to get these speakers to come to life, especially at low to medium volume (easy listening while I work). I've got a Yamaha 2 channel receiver (bluetooth! fancy!) coming tomorrow so it'll be interesting to compare the sound from that music-oriented receiver against this ~15 year old Sony AV Receiver that I picked up at Radioshack.

Why are you buying something and having it shipped to you?

Have you not heard that the world is about to end?

On 4/9/2020 at 11:08 AM, darksabre said:

New receiver was totally worth it, especially since Crutchfield has them marked down. Wow. These speakers just went from good to amazing. I'm a believer in Yamaha now.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_022RS202/Yamaha-R-S202.html

5 hours ago, Weave said:

Someone has new music online.....

Too bad I don't have a service to listen to it.

Cool though, Swamp.

I just found out I’m finally going to half days like everyone else at work, starting tomorrow.

Content coming.

I'm a big KANSAS fan but rarely find bass covers entertaining.  This guy nails Magnum Opus (one of my favorite songs).  This song starts slowly but goes crazy about half way through.  I just found this guy mesmerizing,

• Like (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, Tondas said:

I'm a big KANSAS fan but rarely find bass covers entertaining.  This guy nails Magnum Opus (one of my favorite songs).  This song starts slowly but goes crazy about half way through.  I just found this guy mesmerizing,

Interesting how he got so much tighter during the technical sections. Not so much during the groove sections. Still good, though. What a great tune to cover. Now I'm going to have to listen to the original. Loud.

And I really hope those are masks, cuz otherwise, that guy has the oddest taste in wallpaper.

Edited by SwampD
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 4/2/2020 at 4:55 AM, Tondas said:

Terry Kath.  The insane part starts at 2:57.  It's hard not to appreciate his talent.  Notice his band mates.  They look at him like the Sabres look at like Eichel.  Do your thing Jack and we'll watch.  And an under ratted vocalist.

There’s a Terry Kath special on AXS right now. It’s great. 

I never knew his name until the Classic Rock Band Thread.

I love the internet.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I got more new ear buds. Towards the end of February I had to replace some old wireless earbuds(corded together). I picked up a cheap pair of Taotronics Sound Liberty 79 from Amazon. They are pretty ok. The sound is clean with pretty crisp mids and highs. Especially crisp for $40 ear buds. Trouble is they aren't loud enough for me and my right ear doesn't seem to want to accept holding onto the ear bud. 

For my birthday my wife got me some Raycon buds. LOUD!! And the bass really thumps. I'm getting as much bass out of these as my son gets out of his PowerBeats Pro buds. The mids and highs aren't muddled like the reviews said they would be either. So I can go from my 80s and 90s rap to metal, thrash and old country and they all sound pretty darn good. And they lock into my ears very snuggly.

Good buds, good battery life, tiny charge case. Would recommend.

33 minutes ago, SwampD said:

If you’ve got nothing to do, how ‘bout some opera. My brother is part of the team that put this together. It goes live at 1pm.

https://metoperafree.brightcove.services/at-home-gala/index.html?videoId=6150080998001

I’m in ...  I discovered it late in life.   I’ve attended maybe ...  15.  Sarasota and Tampa.  The Met is a bucket list item.

What does your brother do?

13 minutes ago, Neo said:

I’m in ...  I discovered it late in life.   I’ve attended maybe ...  15.  Sarasota and Tampa.  The Met is a bucket list item.

What does your brother do?

He's responsible for the Sirius XM broadcasts as well as the HDs to movie houses. He also produces several a year (what this guy does https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/25/arts/music/met-opera-broadcasts-sound.html he's actually mentioned in the article)

Let me know when you are up here. He'll gladly give you the tour. I'll make sure I'm there.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, SwampD said:

Also just found out that he prepped most of the accompaniment tracks and pre checked all the audio from every location. 

Let me tell you, that was one slick and smooth presentation.   There may have been twenty homes, 40 performers, and an orchestra, all at different places.  it was seamless.   Kudos!   I listen to The Met on Sirius and attend a couple of The Met HDs in local theaters.  I am no poser.  It takes work to know and enjoy.  Unlike 200 years ago, it’s probably not for the masses.  It is beautiful, however.   I read the history and the libretto for weeks in preparation.  I download the opera and listen a few times.  Nice work to your brother.

• Like (+1) 1