The Music Thread

darksabre

The 5 most under appreciated guitarists in classic rock.

1.  Terry Kath  - Chicago. Jimi Hendrix said he was the best guitarist he ever heard.

2.   Randy Bachman - The Guess Who

3.   Kerry Livegren - Kansas

4.   Tommy Shaw - Styx

5.    Joe Walsh - The Eagles - Although he may not be under appreciated - Not sure.

3 hours ago, Tondas said:

1.  Terry Kath  - Chicago. Jimi Hendrix said he was the best guitarist he ever heard.

4.   Tommy Shaw - Styx

5.    Joe Walsh - The Eagles - Although he may not be under appreciated - Not sure.

I would add Mark Knofler of Dire Straits to that list.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Weave said:

I would add Mark Knofler of Dire Straits to that list.

Yep.  Thought of him.   Really tough to leave him out.  Great non pick guitarist.  Just like Lindsey Buckingham.  I just didn't think he had the body of work of the others.

14 hours ago, Tondas said:

4.   Tommy Shaw - Styx

I like to see how much loving Randy and Burton are getting on here. Right on. I've seen Bachman, Knopfler, Clapton and a host of other great guitarists over th eyears but I would have to say Kath is the most under-rated of them all. This guy was a maestro that went off in his own world on someof is solos. I love me some Randy Bachman though. I've seen him a number of times live and LOTs on the internet. He can sure play a variety of styles.

Anyone mention Alvin Lee? 

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Ducky said:

I like to see how much loving Randy and Burton are getting on here. Right on. I've seen Bachman, Knopfler, Clapton and a host of other great guitarists over th eyears but I would have to say Kath is the most under-rated of them all. This guy was a maestro that went off in his own world on someof is solos. I love me some Randy Bachman though. I've seen him a number of times live and LOTs on the internet. He can sure play a variety of styles.

Anyone mention Alvin Lee? 

I've seen all 5 on my list live.  You're right, Kath was mesmerizing.  He never looked at his guitar.  It was like he was born with it in his hand.  Effortless, passionate, a true genius. 

Side note, I saw The Eagles live and at the end of the show, Joe Walsh threw a handful of picks into the crowd and I was lucky enough to catch one.  Still have it and revere it with a big JW on it.

Don't sleep on Kerry Livegren.  It's like the music came from his heart, through his brain to his fingers.  Seeing a  couple of his solos live, my  jaw dropped and I don't think I blinked during the entire solo.  Just fantastic.

Terry Kath.  The insane part starts at 2:57.  It's hard not to appreciate his talent.  Notice his band mates.  They look at him like the Sabres look at like Eichel.  Do your thing Jack and we'll watch.  And an under ratted vocalist.

Edited by Tondas
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

On 4/3/2020 at 6:15 PM, Crosschecking said:

He was a very private man, from what I read. That's probably why he wasn't as well noticed as Smokey Robinson.

I met Smokey at the Desert Inn Golf Course in Las Vegas (that's when it still existed).  He was so gracious.  He signed my scorecard.  I didn't want to take up his time or fawn over him, but It was like he was imposing on me more than I was imposing on him..  First class all the way.  And he had the "it" factor.   I must have looked like a deer in the headlights and I don't get that way for many people.  He was one  Just a great, great experience.

Edited by Tondas

1 hour ago, #freejame said:

Did this just break? Love me some Bill Withers. One of the best greatest hits albums out there. 

He sang from his heart.  I love that.  It comes through when you listen.

1 hour ago, Claude_Verret said:

R.I.P.

This one hits me hard. Makes me sad. We’re gonna lose more musicians before this is over. Its a real tragedy . Take a listen to ‘ In spite of ourselves ‘ she’s a beauty for couples. Great singer songwriter.

1 hour ago, darksabre said:

New speakers came today, KEF Q150s. I'm currently learning a hard lesson in room acoustics. These little bookshelves need room to breathe. Gonna need some speaker stands lol this is embarrassing.

IMG_20200408_171353.thumb.jpg.3220b5c168650bfd7043e940f86a638e.jpg

We live in a society!

• Haha (+1) 2

17 hours ago, darksabre said:

New speakers came today, KEF Q150s. I'm currently learning a hard lesson in room acoustics. These little bookshelves need room to breathe. Gonna need some speaker stands lol this is embarrassing.

I need to use the crate.

You can't have it! The tunes say so.

• Haha (+1) 1

17 hours ago, darksabre said:

My first thought seeing this was good for you for being able to tolerate things asymmetrical. It really limits my speaker placement. 

3 minutes ago, #freejame said:

My first thought seeing this was good for you for being able to tolerate things asymmetrical. It really limits my speaker placement. 

Oh it's making me crazy. Getting these speakers on some stands will allow me to center everything so I can stop losing my mind.