The Music Thread

darksabre

• 2 weeks later...

Listened to this in my car ... 'Classic Queen' version.

Now watching and listening at my office.

One of my favourites and theirs too.  Always played live at every concert from 1975 onward.

I remember few shows in Toronto.  Fantastic.

Edited by New Scotland (NS)
  • Like (+1) 1

Man, I love the Replacements (Alex Chilton video 2 replies above).

They were some serious drinkers.  Frontman Paul Westerberg would usually slur when introducing the band at the beginning of a show and it sounded like, "Hi, we're the Placemats."  So they were nicknamed the Mats for short ever since.  They showed up wasted for an SNL appearance and were never invited back.  They actually released an album of live covers they "performed" while *****-faced.  Most of them were incomplete, and they didn't know all the lyrics.  Songs like Iron Man and Saturday Night Special.  God awful torturous racket if you're not a fan, but utterly hilarious if you are.  They called it "The ***** Hits the Fans".  In spite of their issues, they did not lack for a sense of humor.  At one point they were driving to a gig and one of the guys' nephew had just committed suicide, so he decided to drive alone behind the other guys, who were drinking heavily all the way.  When they all arrived, the sober one recounted that the three guys drinking literally fell out of the car laughing so hysterically that it took them like 5 minutes to finally be able to explain why they were laughing so hard.  They had decided what to name their soon to be released album.  They decided on "Let It Be"!  This was only 14 years after the Beatles released their "Let It Be", so they knew this would be considered blasphemous by many.  One time in a recording studio they managed to get vomit on the 12-foot ceiling of one of the rooms.  The owner of the studio couldn't figure out how they managed to do that and actually lost sleep over it.  He finally concluded that one (or more) of them had barfed in his cupped hands and flung it up on the ceiling.

Regardless of all this debauchery, the Replacements were an amazing band, a true force in the 80's who influenced many future bands.  Paul Westerberg is a tremendous songwriter.  Check them out!

Edited by BagBoy
  • Like (+1) 2

The Cure, the greatest rock band ever (and I will tolerate no dissent, it’s a you problem) have been voted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in this, thier 12th year of eligibility.  

We learn two lessons here: Halls of Fame are political bodies run by mean girls (metaphorically) and: the Rock Hall is dumber than most.  

Edited by Sabel79

19 minutes ago, Sabel79 said:

The Cure, the greatest rock band ever (and I will tolerate no dissent, it’s a you problem) have been voted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in this, thier 12th year of eligibility.  

We learn two lessons here: Halls of Fame are political bodies run by mean girls (metaphorically) and: the Rock Hall is dumber than most.  

I like The Cure a lot, but greatest ever?  We all know that The Clash was the only band that ever mattered.  Therefore, greatest ever.  I am well known as a lover and not a fighter, but I will fight anyone on this point.  With Queen being a very distinguished 1A+.

Completely agree with your take on the RnR Hall of Fame.  Of all the Hall of Fames it is the most Hall of Fameish.

7 hours ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

I like The Cure a lot, but greatest ever?  We all know that The Clash was the only band that ever mattered.  Therefore, greatest ever.  I am well known as a lover and not a fighter, but I will fight anyone on this point.  With Queen being a very distinguished 1A+.

Completely agree with your take on the RnR Hall of Fame.  Of all the Hall of Fames it is the most Hall of Fameish.

The Clash gets docked half a point because Joe Strummer coined that phrase himself.  ?

4 minutes ago, Sabel79 said:

The Clash gets docked half a point because Joe Strummer coined that phrase himself.  ?

Not so, my friend.

It was someone at their record label (CBS) that came up with it.  Joe was actually very upset about it, as were Mick and Paul.

They would not have been upset if they had not sold their souls, but they desperately needed to get their message to the masses.  Not to mention, their weasel of a manager (Bernie Rhodes, of The Specials *Gangsters* infamy) had to keep up with that other weasel Malcolm McLaren who just got the Pistols signed to a record deal. 

9 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Not so, my friend.

It was someone at their record label (CBS) that came up with it.  Joe was actually very upset about it, as were Mick and Paul.

They would not have been upset if they had not sold their souls, but they desperately needed to get their message to the masses.  Not to mention, their weasel of a manager (Bernie Rhodes, of The Specials *Gangsters* infamy) had to keep up with that other weasel Malcolm McLaren who just got the Pistols signed to a record deal. 

Hmmmm.  I shall take this on board.  

Still: Cut the Crap.  (Shudders)

5 hours ago, Sabel79 said:

Hmmmm.  I shall take this on board.  

Still: Cut the Crap.  (Shudders)

I am late for duty in the GDT because I had to look into this a bit more, as something was not sitting just right, eh.

Turns out you may be onto something here.  

The CBS execs had their PR types come up with something to hype the next greatest band they just signed.  So, The Clash were just hitting their prime.  The CBC PR types came up with ... 'the only band that matters'.

Sometime after the ultimate demise of the band (IMO, they should have disbanded in 1983 and not fired Mick and Topper) in 1985 ... 2 years too late, but ...

Someone came up with ... 'the only band that ever mattered' , which I like a lot and only could have started post Clash, right?  I have no clear indication who started it.  It may have been Joe, but as far as I know he never owned it.  It may have been the PR people at CBS, since the band was still under contract and there was more $ to be made even after they disbanded.  'Complete Control' is absolutely spot on in so many ways.  One of my favourites, but then again, they all are.

• Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, Sabel79 said:

I can’t even with this.  Yes, they’re packaged as a pop band for some reason, but see them live, at the very least, and you’ll see the truth. 

With Robert Smith being a blending of Dracula and Edward Scissor Hands they should never be labelled a 'pop' band.

A very distict sound that pretty much defies pigeon holing.  Very good live shows, at least in the 80's when I saw them.