The Music Thread

darksabre

On ‎9‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 4:34 PM, Weave said:

Y'all are missing Rage Against the Machine.  WTF?

I don't think Rage qualifies as rap because they have an actual band with a guitarist, bassist, drummer, etc. despite the fact that the singer raps between screams. I'd reclassify them as more rock than rap.

• 2 weeks later...

They are similar, but they are clearly (at least to me) not the same.

Curious what Swamp says.. here's what i hear.

In Spirit - there is a track that plays a basic progression down from what sounds like A to F over 5 measures with what sounds like a few extra notes faintly thrown in that are on higher strings.

In Led Zeppelin - the riff starts on A but the note progression is not quite the same.  The chords progression sounds similar up until the 6th measure in Spirit.

I'm just testing myself to see how close I come to being accurate.  ?

Sorry, I was at rehearsal where we were trying to steal other people's stuff.

Whenever these things come up, I usually say "whatever, everything is stolen." Then I heard it and my ears perked up. It's not that original a chord progression, but the way the do it,… I don't know, man. It's really similar. Not sure what it would mean monetarily, though.

And I guess even if they lose the lawsuit, all the royalties they are going to get from everyone listening to it now should set them up nicely for their retirement.

• Like (+1) 1

One of my older kids put me onto this tune, albeit inadvertently. No idea who this dude is -- but this track is tight as hell.

On 10/5/2018 at 10:59 PM, SwampD said:

The first song is what I used to listen to on the team bus heading to my high school football games to amp me up.

So badass. The whole show still inspires me today.

I just read a whole book on the history of prog rock - but didn't see this outfit mentioned. Who are they?

Edited by That Aud Smell