The Music Thread

darksabre

So I was out thrifting today and hit a pretty cool score in Lancaster at Amvets.

First off, I did not buy the two accordions they had for sale. I would have liked to, but no, I resisted. For those who might be interested, the working one was a black Frontalini for $200. 

What I scored today though was a box of old 78s. I haggled them to give me the whole box for $6. Artists include Hal Kemp, Harry James, Horace Heidt, Kay Kyser, The Sportsmen, Roger Williams, The Mariners, Reinald Werrenrath, Eddy Duchin, a broken Perry Como, The Merry Macs, Anton Karas performing a Zither solo from an Orson Welles film called The Third Man, Woody Herman, John McCormack. Lots of the first three guys.

I had no idea if they were in playable shape or not, I've never bought used 78s. I tested a few out on my turntable and they sound pretty good. Ordered a replacement stylus for my cartridge tonight that will play the 78s better. 

The prize of the collection seems to be the single sided John McCormack, a 1920 pressing of Your Eyes Have Told Me So. 

Not bad. I could really see myself getting in to 78s. There's a lot of music out there that I don't know from the 78 era. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, That Aud Smell said:

Good on @Iron Crotch and @darksabre

The fun part about this is that Josie's father, born in the 40s, is super into this kinda stuff. He has old gramophones and used to have a ton of 78s. So he's blowing up my phone last night telling me everything I need to do to make sure I don't break anything trying to play them. He, of course, remembers some of these artists from when he was a kid. 

On 7/14/2018 at 11:04 PM, darksabre said:

So I was out thrifting today and hit a pretty cool score in Lancaster at Amvets.

First off, I did not buy the two accordions they had for sale. I would have liked to, but no, I resisted. For those who might be interested, the working one was a black Frontalini for $200. 

What I scored today though was a box of old 78s. I haggled them to give me the whole box for $6. Artists include Hal Kemp, Harry James, Horace Heidt, Kay Kyser, The Sportsmen, Roger Williams, The Mariners, Reinald Werrenrath, Eddy Duchin, a broken Perry Como, The Merry Macs, Anton Karas performing a Zither solo from an Orson Welles film called The Third Man, Woody Herman, John McCormack. Lots of the first three guys.

I had no idea if they were in playable shape or not, I've never bought used 78s. I tested a few out on my turntable and they sound pretty good. Ordered a replacement stylus for my cartridge tonight that will play the 78s better. 

The prize of the collection seems to be the single sided John McCormack, a 1920 pressing of Your Eyes Have Told Me So. 

Not bad. I could really see myself getting in to 78s. There's a lot of music out there that I don't know from the 78 era. 

There is definitely some fantastic old music out there that only exists on 78's.  I hope you digitize them, even though they will undoubtedly sound better on a turntable.  All about the preservation.  

Anyway, you'll probably like this guy as much as I do.  Joe Bussard -->  http://www.baltimoreorless.com/2014/07/fredericks-joe-bussard-is-the-king-of-78s/

Demi Lovato OD'd on heroin(rumored) today. She's in the hospital in stable condition, I guess. 6 years of sobriety(blow), she slipped a few weeks ago and today she slipped again. Relapse isn't the end of the world. Hope she sees it that way.

35 minutes ago, ubkev said:

Demi Lovato OD'd on heroin(rumored) today. She's in the hospital in stable condition, I guess. 6 years of sobriety(blow), she slipped a few weeks ago and today she slipped again. Relapse isn't the end of the world. Hope she sees it that way.

??

Hey I'd like to daze away to a
Place no one has known
In a state of mind I could call mine
That only I could own
Where I could hum a tune anytime
I choose, and there’s no such thing as time
Where I can feel no pain just calm and sane
What a place for one to find

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, spndnchz said:

RIP Aretha.

So sad. But she's a legend. One of the all time greats. I know a lot of people, if you asked them about the quintessential American musician, would say Springsteen, or Elvis, but the truth is that it's Aretha. There is no more American music than soul.