The Music Thread

darksabre

• 1 month later...

Fond memories of my youth ..

RIP Andy.

He was only 59 years old.  Far too young.  I am 59 years old.  F-CANCER.

Morrissey and Marr get most of the credit for the song writing, but Andy's bass and Mike's drums were a distinct part of the instant recongnition of a Smith's tune.

• Agree 2

On 5/20/2023 at 9:31 AM, Sabres Fan in NS said:

Fond memories of my youth ..

RIP Andy.

He was only 59 years old.  Far too young.  I am 59 years old.  F-CANCER.

Morrissey and Marr get most of the credit for the song writing, but Andy's bass and Mike's drums were a distinct part of the instant recongnition of a Smith's tune.

Related note: Morrissey behaves in absolutely classy and decent fashion, shocking everyone… 

https://pitchfork.com/news/morrissey-eulogizes-the-smiths-andy-rourke-he-will-never-die-as-long-as-his-music-is-heard/amp/

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Completely into Billy Strings recently:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y97gX9QSwZk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwH5ACiN6fY

And yes, in that second video he's dressed like a hobbit. Did three concerts in a row where they did the Lord of the Rings books in order with a combination of his songs, classics, and original pieces to fill in the story line. 

Between the two songs you can see the range from classic bluegrass to early metal/prog rock. 

• Like (+1) 1

• 1 month later...

I kind of blew them off as mid-80s pop but a an online friend posted about what a good album Songs from the Big Chair by Tears for Fears is.  He's not wrong.  It's more than hot hits; it actually has prog rock undertones and evokes Pink Floyd and early Genesis, as well is a few jazz notes.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Doohickie said:

I kind of blew them off as mid-80s pop but a an online friend posted about what a good album Songs from the Big Chair by Tears for Fears is.  He's not wrong.  It's more than hot hits; it actually has prog rock undertones and evokes Pink Floyd and early Genesis, as well is a few jazz notes.

I saw them at George Mason U. In Virginia. 1989. They were outstanding. Was stationed nearby in the Navy. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Doohickie said:

Listening to Willie Nelson's Red Headed Stranger. The star of the album to me isn't Willie's lyrics, nor is it his voice. It's his guitar. He plays in a way that is uniquely his, and it utterly touches my soul.

Since moving to Colorado a year ago, every time I am driving in Lakewood 'above' Denver, on a clear night I look out at the city sprawl and these lyrics instantly play in my mind:

The bright lights of Denver are shinin' like diamonds
Like ten thousand jewels in the sky
An' it's nobody's business where you're goin' or where you come from
And you're judged by the look in your eye

• Awesome! (+1) 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

If anyone is in the north Jersey area, I want to invite you to my band’s live concert video shoot at Alpha Wave Studios in Whippany NJ on Sunday Oct 8. Doors open at 6:30 PM. We’ll go on around 7.

We are renting the studios so it’s ours for the evening and free of charge. It’s byob so bring coolers! Bring guests! Should be a good time. We are going to play for an hour. Hope you can come!

Sunday Oct 8. 6:30 PM 

Before The Calm

Alpha Wave Studios

9 Whippany Rd, Whippany, NJ 07981

Here are some links to our music:

Did I mention it's free? And the Bills play at 9:30 AM (complete serendipity), so you will have plenty of time to sober up and get there. 

Hope to see you there. Should be a good time.

Sent from my iPhone

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

10 hours ago, SwampD said:

If anyone is in the north Jersey area, I want to invite you to my band’s live concert video shoot at Alpha Wave Studios in Whippany NJ on Sunday Oct 8. Doors open at 6:30 PM. We’ll go on around 7.

We are renting the studios so it’s ours for the evening and free of charge. It’s byob so bring coolers! Bring guests! Should be a good time. We are going to play for an hour. Hope you can come!

Sunday Oct 8. 6:30 PM 

Before The Calm

Alpha Wave Studios

9 Whippany Rd, Whippany, NJ 07981

Here are some links to our music:

Did I mention it's free? And the Bills play at 9:30 AM (complete serendipity), so you will have plenty of time to sober up and get there. 

Hope to see you there. Should be a good time.

Sent from my iPhone

I have told you before, but I hear a lot of old Genesis and King Crimson in your music.  Fantastic.

• Like (+1) 1