The Music Thread

darksabre

Not sure how I missed this news ...

RIP ... Jet Black.

He was older than the others.  He was 84 when he passed on December 6, 2022.

I love how these guys made a mockery of TOTPs and the fact that no band ever actually played on that show.

Edited by Sabres Fan in NS

Story time.
Today I taught my eleven year old son the tradition I have of how to treat a new album drop by a favorite artist.  As a guy who grew up and is stuck in the 90’s musically, I was blessed with a lot of (subjective) great rock music as I grew up.  Living in ROC, it was tradition to go to the Midnight Madness CD release party at the House of Guitars.  My friends and I would eat pizza and wait in line to buy the new ___________ (Stone Temple Pilots, Alice In Chains, Pearl Jam, etc) album the minute it came out (midnight on release day).  Then I or we would hop in the car and drive for a couple hours and listen to the album cover to cover 2-3 times straight.  

Music is released differently today, but the tradition still applies. I still live in ROC. I picked my kid up a bit early from school today, and we took a road trip to Buffalo to listen to his favorite artist (Ava Max 🤮) cover to cover on repeat for each way. We drove to Bar Bill got Cajun honey butter BBQ wings and Fowler’s chocolate.  After listening to the album three times, we talked about the songs we liked the most, how the new stuff has evolved from her previous release, and how it takes “work” to get to know new music.

This coming from a guy who takes a PTO day when a new album comes out of a fav (TOOL, Big Wreck, Rival Sons). Today is special day.   

New music from a fav is a gift. Make it special.  I think I impressed that upon him today.  I asked him to carry this tradition on. 

I liked pop music at age eleven, found rock at 13, and metal at 15. I hope the same for him and he grows to enjoy guitar solos over auto-tune and computer generated beats.  He will get there.  Today was a great day.  And if you’re still reading this wall of text, cheers to you 🍺

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 4

8 hours ago, Porous Five Hole said:

Story time.
Today I taught my eleven year old son the tradition I have of how to treat a new album drop by a favorite artist.  As a guy who grew up and is stuck in the 90’s musically, I was blessed with a lot of (subjective) great rock music as I grew up.  Living in ROC, it was tradition to go to the Midnight Madness CD release party at the House of Guitars.  My friends and I would eat pizza and wait in line to buy the new ___________ (Stone Temple Pilots, Alice In Chains, Pearl Jam, etc) album the minute it came out (midnight on release day).  Then I or we would hop in the car and drive for a couple hours and listen to the album cover to cover 2-3 times straight.  

Music is released differently today, but the tradition still applies. I still live in ROC. I picked my kid up a bit early from school today, and we took a road trip to Buffalo to listen to his favorite artist (Ava Max 🤮) cover to cover on repeat for each way. We drove to Bar Bill got Cajun honey butter BBQ wings and Fowler’s chocolate.  After listening to the album three times, we talked about the songs we liked the most, how the new stuff has evolved from her previous release, and how it takes “work” to get to know new music.

This coming from a guy who takes a PTO day when a new album comes out of a fav (TOOL, Big Wreck, Rival Sons). Today is special day.   

New music from a fav is a gift. Make it special.  I think I impressed that upon him today.  I asked him to carry this tradition on. 

I liked pop music at age eleven, found rock at 13, and metal at 15. I hope the same for him and he grows to enjoy guitar solos over auto-tune and computer generated beats.  He will get there.  Today was a great day.  And if you’re still reading this wall of text, cheers to you 🍺

As a teen (13 to 16 - too young to drive ... things were different then ... I would not let my 13 year old loose in downtown Toronto now) we would take the TTC (bus and subway) from suburbia to Young Street at Bloor in The Great Satan.  'Sam the Record Man' had their  main shop in the whole country just a few steps south towards dowtown and the lake.  The new releases were available there at midnight on release day and first available anywhere in the country ... everywhere else hd them the next morning when record shops opened.  It was a tradition for a bunch of us, but we soon found that our tastes in music changed in the next few years.  We would still do the tradition, but it became more a hanging out thing on many occasions since we were not all there for the new release.

Great times.  I turned 15 in 1979.  That was the year I discovered The Clash.

• Like (+1) 2

On 12/14/2022 at 11:13 AM, Sabres Fan in NS said:

Dino always had a few pops before every performance.

Many times he held a drink in one hand and an ever present smoke in the other ... always lit.  I do believe the one in this video is lit.  No one cared back then.

When he wasn't drinking he would ask for a glass of apple juice just to keep up appearances. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/24/2023 at 8:56 AM, SwampD said:

Ha. I thought the same thing, then I realized it was a cover of the guitar solo.

Hotel California Guitar Solo.  Don Felder and Joe Walsh.  

On 1/24/2023 at 12:40 PM, Doohickie said:

Yep Reaction GIF by C H A R L Ö T T E

As part of my retirement journey I started to play my guitars again.  They were put away for a very long time.   At one time I was ok at it, but then I moved away from my music friends - I got into other things, live a bunch of places,  - work, travel, career, wife, kids, etc.   

Last January my wife set my acoustic guitar on it's stand and put it the living room, hint, hint, hint.  It looked pretty sitting there and it presented a big challenge.   She was just hoping I could find things to do in retirement and not drive her crazy being around the house more than ever before.  I have been playing them just about every day since.  I actually learned that solo this summer using Youtube guitar lessons.  It took me weeks to get it.  

The video inspires me because I am looking for a device called a "Looper".  It allows you to play a guitar piece, like a chord rhythm- and the looper device will record it based on your start and stop cues and then loop it indefinitely.  You control it with a footswitch.   Once I get this Looper I should be able to loop that chord pattern and practice the solo against it. This will help keep the time of the solo intact to make it sound correct.  

My son has a simple low cost ($100) looper that I have used.  I never had anything like that in my playing days.   They have more elaborate loopers that support multi-layered tracks and also provide percussion.  I am looking into something like that.  I just need to buy one and get going.     

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

March 1st was the 50th anniversary of Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon, possibly the best rock album of all time (in my opinion anyway).

It’s one of them.  

I’ll have to dig it out and spin it.  

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Pimlach said:

Some really cool jazz.  Miles Davis with full orchestration and it is haunting, beautiful, and powerful. 

DC8F3AE7-7FAE-4745-B225-5F12F6FC0D12.thumb.jpeg.c20cf4565806ad84a2909f134dbc45d1.jpeg

A fantastic album.

37 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

March 1st was the 50th anniversary of Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon, possibly the best rock album of all time (in my opinion anyway).

This one, too.

• Thanks (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

It’s one of them.  

I’ll have to dig it out and spin it.  

I think the thing that makes it the finest rock album in my view is the production quality of it.  The music is good, the lyrics mind-blowing, but the way it's all put together is just outstanding.  Kudos to a young Alan Parsons, the album's engineer.

2 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

I think the thing that makes it the finest rock album in my view is the production quality of it.  The music is good, the lyrics mind-blowing, but the way it's all put together is just outstanding.  Kudos to a young Alan Parsons, the album's engineer.

Sketches of Spain by Miles Davis had a similar impact on the jazz world because he added a full orchestra to his quintet and he puts Latin influences into American Jazz. This became popular afterwards, especially Brazilian Bosa Nova.   In Mile’s catalog of recordings it’s one of his many groundbreaking records that changed the direction of the jazz genre.  The man literally created sub genres of jazz several times.  

Pink Floyd used unprecedented studio techniques to really stretch the envelope of rock and they created a masterpiece.  

I can see a parallel between the two records.  

14 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

A fantastic album.

This one, too.

You a Music Man too?