The Music Thread

darksabre

Do any of you dabble in Pandora stations?  I've created several.  Right now I'm listening to Hocus Pocus:  https://pandora.app.link/QxTsTZtTejb.  The original seed song was Hocus Pocus by Focus.  The idea I'm going for is instrumental rock jams.  Some electronica found its way in which is cool, as well as a fair amount of Stevie Ray Vaughan and Pink Floyd.  It just played Shine On You Crazy Diamond Parts I-V.  I like to tinker with Pandora stations because I can get a variety including bands I've never heard of like Groove Armada.  I can stay in familiar territory and still explore new stuff.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Doohickie said:

Do any of you dabble in Pandora stations?  I've created several.  Right now I'm listening to Hocus Pocus:  https://pandora.app.link/QxTsTZtTejb.  The original seed song was Hocus Pocus by Focus.  The idea I'm going for is instrumental rock jams.  Some electronica found its way in which is cool, as well as a fair amount of Stevie Ray Vaughan and Pink Floyd.  It just played Shine On You Crazy Diamond Parts I-V.  I like to tinker with Pandora stations because I can get a variety including bands I've never heard of like Groove Armada.  I can stay in familiar territory and still explore new stuff.

I use Pandora very frequently.  I have 7 or 8 stations that I actively manage.  Everything from jazz and blues to German industrial metal.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Doohickie said:

Thank you for this. I use Tidal, but I’ve been in a rut lately with “my collection” and their playlists are set. I’ve been working so hard on our own music that I forgot how much I used to use Pandora to find new music.

• Like (+1) 1

There's this: https://www.vogue.com/article/kourtney-kardashian-cannibal-corpse-death-metal-shirt-travis-barker

And then there's this: https://loudwire.com/cannibal-corpse-poser-kourtney-kardashian/

I wish I could be a fly on the wall once Kourtney Kardashian listens to songs like "Born In A Casket", "F***** With A Knife", and "Stripped, R8ped, and Str8ngled". The lyrics are clearly NOT for the faint of heart!

Just now, New Scotland (NS) said:

They are really good.  How are they at playing Dead classics?  I suppose I could check for myself, but maybe you can let me know if it's worth the investment of time.  Thanks.

Somehow I missed these guys, just found them. They play with Phil a lot, as Phil's Friends. I find their Dead stuff a bit note for note, and I'm always looking for a reinvention, like their version of Miss You. I think of it as what Jerry would have done with it, had the Dead actually practiced.

• Thanks (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, rakish said:

Somehow I missed these guys, just found them. They play with Phil a lot, as Phil's Friends. I find their Dead stuff a bit note for note, and I'm always looking for a reinvention, like their version of Miss You. I think of it as what Jerry would have done with it, had the Dead actually practiced.

Thanks.

I found them doing Brown Eyed Women and the first 2 minutes while some were tuning the others just jammed.  Just like the Dead did.

They are okay, but I have to agree that there is no improv there.  The Dead live was all about improvision.  They know the music, but may be best in the studio if they ever find themselves there.  I think you know what I mean.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Weave said:

My wife says it reminds her of Mannheim Steamroller.  🤣

I’ve said the same thing.😂

I’d love to think we could open for some prog/metal band, but I could definitely see Matt playing his guitar at the top of a rock wall with a 20ft scarf blowing in the wind as we open up for Yanni at The Acropolis. Pretty sure the money would be better.

Edited by SwampD
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

@SwampD,

You guys are really good.

I can see you guys playing with the lads from Crimson (Starless era) and you would not miss a beat.  If I close my eyes I can picture Fripp, Wetton and Bruford performing an obscure B-side from the Lark's or Starless or Red albums.  You guys remind me of Crimson very much.

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/2/2021 at 9:40 PM, Doohickie said:

Never heard of Groove Armada before.  This song is 20 years old, but new to me.  Nice mood music, and at its climax it evokes intense feels.

But what I came in here to post was this video.  It came up on my Pandora mellow rock station.  Most of my wedding day is a blur but this song takes me right back to my first dance with Mrs. Doohickie

It brings back all the feels.  And looking back on 37+ years of marriage, it's come to pass just as the song tells... almost like livin' a dream.

Edited by Doohickie
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Doohickie said:

But what I came in here to post was this video.  It came up on my Pandora mellow rock station.  Most of my wedding day is a blur but this song takes me right back to my first dance with Mrs. Doohickie

It brings back all the feels.  And looking back on 37+ years of marriage, it's come to pass just as the song tells... almost like livin' a dream.

Am I a bad person that I don’t remember our 1st dance song?

1 minute ago, SHAAAUGHT!!! said:

This was solid.  Are there triggers on the toms, or is that just a mix of reverb and double bass sprinkled in?

Thanks.

Actually, the entire kit is electric, even the toms. They just look like real drums. He uses the Roland TD-50 drum brain and has a doulbe kick pedal.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Weave said:

Am I a bad person that I don’t remember our 1st dance song?

There are lots of things I've forgotten.  I could never forget this song, though, because it certainly describes us as a couple.

If you're a bad person for anything, it's for not picking the right song to begin with.  Chalk it up to inexperience and move on.

Edited by Doohickie