The Music Thread

darksabre

On 5/25/2020 at 2:12 PM, New Scotland (NS) said:

"If Adolf Hitler flew in today ... they'd send a limousine anyway"

Thank you Mick and Joe.  They don't write 'em like this anymore.

Quoting myself, here.  Not a first.

@Sabel79, I knew you would like this.

The Clash ... so much social commentary on 10, or so, relevant at the time topics ... all packed into a little over 4 minutes of awesomeness.  Only Mick and Joe could do that and many don't even realize that is exactly what they were doing in every single tune.  EVERY. ONE.

No wander The Clash were the only band that ever mattered.

Lets see for this one they cover ... curfews, immigration, race relations, police brutality, riots, gun violence, wealth disparity, youth issues, army crackdows, drugs, gangs, punks and the sellouts, fighting, new groups (The Jam) just in it for money, voting is a waste of time, the idiocy of the system that would dictate that a limo would be sent even for A.H., a white man in a black neighbourhood would be looking for fun ......... all in 4 minutes.

Edited by New Scotland (NS)

On 5/23/2020 at 9:13 PM, Pimlach said:

F0672780-7A00-4542-9A21-F621382A289E.thumb.jpeg.8302f5c4fb390096eb9e375e94791f7c.jpeg

Miles Davis - Kind of Blue 

The was on my deserted island list* for a long time. Still might be.

(*you are stranded on a deserted island and can only have 10 albums with you,...)

19 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

RIP Jimmy Cobb.

Bummer.

8 minutes ago, SwampD said:

(*you are stranded on a deserted island and can only have 10 albums with you,...)

Bummer.

Me too.  My top ten deserted island list changes and evolves.  But this is a classic no doubt.  

3 hours ago, Pimlach said:

Me too.  My top ten deserted island list changes and evolves.  But this is a classic no doubt.  

Likewise -- I think my top 5 is pretty static now, but the bottom 5 continue to change.

The question is: does a desert island disc list just comprise of a single album (1 vinyl, 1 disc), or is it the entire album (a double vinyl)? Because I can see myself cheating --- sure, Stop Making Sense is the obvious choice, but I might take The Name of This Band is Talking Heads so I can get more tunes. Eventually, I'd process the visuals from the SMS film onto the track versions of TNOTBITH and dance away on the island just fine.

6 hours ago, SwampD said:

This might make an interesting thread or post  to respond to.  I will certainty give my age away with all the 70's rock on my list.

44 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

Went down the rabbit's hole last night.... This guy ranked Buffalonian Billy Sheehan!

I saw Talas at the After Dark in Lockport waaaaay back when.  He was doing things with his bass that were unreal.  Truly a generational talent.

17 hours ago, North Buffalo said:

Went down the rabbit's hole last night.... This guy ranked Buffalonian Billy Sheehan!

This was excellent!  Thanks!

I never knew the story on Geddy Lee's first name before this video - lol.

1 hour ago, SwampD said:

Thanks, Weave, 

Nothin like playing a gig and not have to haul gear to do it.

... or put on pants.

You got weird skin if those weren't pants......

You guys sounded really good.  I enjoyed it alot.  And now I REALLY regret not being able to make the trip to see you live in Niagara County earlier.

Edited by Weave

32 minutes ago, Weave said:

You got weird skin if those weren't pants......

You guys sounded really good.  I enjoyed it alot.  And now I REALLY regret not being able to make the trip to see you live in Niagara County earlier.

We’ll be back. Tonight should have been in WNY. Stupid Covid.

And there were shorts and bare feet.

Edited by SwampD

On 5/24/2020 at 11:07 PM, SwampD said:

I. Hate. The. Beach. Boys.

There. I said it.

Dug Pinnick is also pretty baddass.

Me too but two songs grew on me based on movies featuring The Beach Boys.

God Only Knows (My Life Without Me)

Good Vibrations (Vanilla Sky)

Edited by Indabuff
Tech Support!