The Music Thread

darksabre

I knew Blind Melon and liked their music, then Shannon died and I lost my ear for their sound until my life had a catastrophic change. I had suspected that my live in fiancée was up to something. I had bought a car for her drive to the classes that I was paying for, trying to help her get her head out of her ass. It's one of those scenes where she was very good at BSing. Some people fallback on that(SSer X, I'm looking RIGHT at you). Once I discovered that she was driving past the school to a bar to hook with random dudes while I babysat her little girl, I has had no choice but to take my car back and kick her out. I let her stay long enough for her mom to find her a place(she was that kind of screw up), I gave her all the furniture, dishes, everything that they would need there......I was soooooooo ***** distraught to lose that little girl from my home even though I had no biological connection to her. I had something far deeper than that. I came into her life at 4 years old and quickly became her rock. She was glued to me, I was the first person to make her feel safe. I had her for 8 years and was the only father figure she had beyond the one decent grandpa. My life had fallen completely apart when I made that decision....The moral of this song is simple, when life is hard, you have to change. This song bought me a sliver of solace that I built on everyday. Maybe its a good time to have another listen and remember those days, even though they were God awful hard. I'm sure there are SSers that would see me as weak for my thoughts on this. In fact I KNOW they would because they've already shown us all how they view anyone who hasn't had their exact experience with life. "It's easy" they'd say. They're full of sh!t...and as my pop, Fred, would have said...."its clearly up to their ears, and the rest is toilet paper." RIP,  Fred. Glad you aren't here to see this sh!t show we have going on down here.

Maynard lived with his mother in Ohio until he was eleven. She suffered a brain aneurysm that left her paralyzed and needing institutionalized care so he went to live with his father in Chicago. He admitted years later how his mother's aneurysm and the move to Chicago really set him on the course to fame. He also lamented his mother's fate. In this song he's searching for eleven year old James(Maynard's first name) to reunite with him....so they can both move on together...I have my own Eleven,"... standing still, waiting for me to free him by coming home". I couldn't find a version with lyrics that didn't include the song Intermission so I'll paste the little buggers again. 

Jimmy

What was it like to see
The face of your own stability
Suddenly look away
Leaving you with the dead and hopeless?
Eleven and she was gone
Eleven is when we waved good-bye
Eleven is standing still
Waiting for me to free him
By coming home

Moving me with a sound
Opening me within a gesture
Drawing me down and in
Showing me where it all began
Eleven

It took so long to realize that
You hold the light that's been leading me back home
Under a dead Ohio sky
Eleven has been and will be waiting
Defending his light
And wondering
Where the hell have I been?
Sleeping, lost, and numb
So glad that I have found you
I am wide awake and heading home

Hold your light
Eleven
Lead me through each gentle step by step
By inch by loaded memory
I'll move to heal
As soon as pain allows so we can
Reunite and both move on together
Hold your light
Eleven, lead me through each gentle step by step
By inch by loaded memory
'Til one and one are one, eleven
So glow, child, glow
I'm heading back home

For non-commercial use only.
Data from: LyricFind

On 3/21/2020 at 6:42 PM, Indabuff said:

Flip side of this thread, song that I didn't like before and realize I despise even more now:. Bennie and the Jets.

Any songs/musicians that drive you nuts?

Jefferson Airplane/Jefferson Starship/Starship

2 hours ago, Crosschecking said:

Jefferson Airplane/Jefferson Starship/Starship

...the context being bands that drive people nuts...Yes, those Starship bands are certainly not my cup of tea, but Jefferson Airplane was the real deal.

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, BagBoy said:

...the context being bands that drive people nuts...Yes, those Starship bands are certainly not my cup of tea, but Jefferson Airplane was the real deal.

NP. I just could never get into them.

Went to this concert 2 days before the shutdown. Since then I have plumbing the depths of The Allman Brothers Band catalog, especially live stuff, across all their eras. 

If interested, put on your head phones and enjoy 20+ minutes of 'Mountain Jam'. 

BTW Derek Trucks is playing Duane Allman's guitar that he used for most of the Allman Brothers tracks as well as on the studio version of Layla on this song. 

Edited by Sakman

8 hours ago, SwampD said:

The difference in sound quality between Tidal and Spotify is remarkable. I pay 20 bucks a month for Tidal and might pay 5 times that if I never had to listen to how awful Spotify is ever again.

Given what most people listen to Spotify on, do you think it matters?  Honestly curious.

37 minutes ago, LTS said:

Given what most people listen to Spotify on, do you think it matters?  Honestly curious.

The fact that they’re most likely listening on ear buds, no. Those are a scourge as well. Apple has been lowering the sound quality of music since the iPod came out.

• Like (+1) 1

With all this extra time cooped up at home it was suggested to me to try the ancient practice of sitting down with an entire album and listening to it in order from beginning to end.  The way us old farts did it back in the 70's and 80s!  So last night I sat in my man cave and listened to this in 5.1 surround in its entirety, something I had never done before with this album even though I consider almost every song to be a masterpiece.  Fans of early Genesis, Yes and Pink Floyd should consider giving it a listen.

On 3/29/2020 at 12:18 AM, SwampD said:

The difference in sound quality between Tidal and Spotify is remarkable. I pay 20 bucks a month for Tidal and might pay 5 times that if I never had to listen to how awful Spotify is ever again.

I started paying for Spotify a few years ago because their stream quality seemed better than others available.  I'm starting to think this is no longer the case (even though I have the stream setting on highest quality).  Not to mention the bluetooth connectivity is terrible at home and in the car for me.  For some reason when I want the music blasting my face off, Spotify seems quiet compared to say Amazon that I get for free because of my Amazon Prime.

On 3/29/2020 at 9:32 AM, SwampD said:

The fact that they’re most likely listening on ear buds, no. Those are a scourge as well. Apple has been lowering the sound quality of music since the iPod came out.

I figured that would be the case.  Frankly it's why it's okay for video streaming to phones to be a lower resolution as well.  The device, despite its amazing screen, still isn't suited for properly displaying the resolution.  Similarly, the speakers/headphone cannot handle a full sound resolution.  No need to send the frequencies in the extreme ranges if the system converting it to sound can't reproduce those frequencies.