The Music Thread

darksabre

Can't believe someone I know actually went on Facebook yesterday when the news was breaking and simply posted.

"Rush - the most overrated band ever.  They have maybe two songs and their overrated drummer wasn't even on one of them."

You gotta be a special kind of person to post that.  I would have never guessed that person would make that post.  I won't see the future posts they make, and I'm okay with that.

Saw Rush live once in the Aud.  My ears bled for days.  But Neil was a beast...

4 hours ago, LTS said:

Can't believe someone I know actually went on Facebook yesterday when the news was breaking and simply posted.

"Rush - the most overrated band ever.  They have maybe two songs and their overrated drummer wasn't even on one of them."

You gotta be a special kind of person to post that.  I would have never guessed that person would make that post.  I won't see the future posts they make, and I'm okay with that.

If you had felt compelled to reply to the post...most consecutive gold/platinum albums:

1. Beatles

2. Rolling Stones

3. Rush

I understand how people dont like or "get" Rush, I really do. Geds voice is unique to say the least. What I will never understand is the steadfast unwillingness of some who absolutely refuse to acknowledge their musicianship,  longevity and above all the massive influence that they had on countless rock musicians who followed them. As someone said in the Rush documentary Beyond The Lighted Stage made circa 2010 (currently still on Netflix btw)..."if you cant give Rush their due at this point (35 years in), then you're just being a dick."

12 minutes ago, Claude_Verret said:

If you had felt compelled to reply to the post...most consecutive gold/platinum albums:

1. Beatles

2. Rolling Stones

3. Rush

I understand how people dont like or "get" Rush, I really do. Geds voice is unique to say the least. What I will never understand is the steadfast unwillingness of some who absolutely refuse to acknowledge their musicianship,  longevity and above all the massive influence that they had on countless rock musicians who followed them. As someone said in the Rush documentary Beyond The Lighted Stage made circa 2010 (currently still on Netflix btw)..."if you cant give Rush their due at this point (35 years in), then you're just being a dick."

Exactly. I’m not the biggest Rush fan. I like maybe 5-7 of their songs. But my god they are super talented and incredible musicians.

I feel that same way about many bands. I can appreciate the talent, showmanship, and just how flat out professional they are. Not everybody has the same ability to have those kind of ears when it comes to truly listening and soaking in the music being created.

Edited by Zamboni
  • Thanks (+1) 1

I came to Rush later in life, as I did to much of my understanding of the world.  Neil Peart, Rush, Ayn Rand and Objectivism.  I was 17 years old in 1978, and hardly grasped “The Trees”.  What a magnificent exploration of ideas across media.  I believe Peart was the driving ideologic force.  Such a respectfully bold representation of one master by another.  There is indeed unrest among the trees.  I’d like to have hung out with that group, for a quiet evening ..

He was one talented drummer, too.

There is unrest in the forest,
There is trouble with the trees,
For the maples want more sunlight
And the oaks ignore their pleas.

The trouble with the maples,
(And they're quite convinced they're right)
They say the oaks are just too lofty
And they grab up all the light.
But the oaks can't help their feelings
If they like the way they're made.
And they wonder why the maples
Can't be happy in their shade?

There is trouble in the Forest
And the creatures all have fled
As the Maples scream 'Oppression!'
And the Oaks, just shake their heads

So the maples formed a union
And demanded equal rights.
'These oaks are just too greedy;
We will make them give us light.'
Now there's no more oak oppression,
For they passed a noble law,
And the trees are all kept equal
By hatchet,
Ax,
And saw.
Rush - The Trees

Edited by Neo
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Claude_Verret said:

1. Beatles

2. Rolling Stones

3. Rush

“Getting” that message isn’t a walk on the beach.  Ayn Rand needed 1,000 page novels ... Peart wrote five minute songs.   I’m not sure what I get and what I merely glimpse.

6 hours ago, Claude_Verret said:

1. Beatles

2. Rolling Stones

3. Rush

Yeah, no way I felt compelled.  First, music appreciation is in the ear of the beholder. I don't fault anyone for liking anything. If you like it, you like it.  But you have to be a special kind of dick to get on Facebook and post what that person did.

Everyone's entitled to their opinion, but there's no need to just throw that out there in the faces and hearts of those who really loved the guy and what he meant to Rush.

This is the world we live in now. Sigh.

On 1/11/2020 at 12:07 PM, LTS said:

19 hours ago, LTS said:

Yeah, no way I felt compelled.  First, music appreciation is in the ear of the beholder. I don't fault anyone for liking anything. If you like it, you like it.  But you have to be a special kind of dick to get on Facebook and post what that person did.

Everyone's entitled to their opinion, but there's no need to just throw that out there in the faces and hearts of those who really loved the guy and what he meant to Rush.

This is the world we live in now. Sigh.

Who cares what these unknown critics say? They will never make the kind of money Rush made during their lengthy career, nor will they ever receive any noticeable accolades. Rush has received Juno awards, they are OC officers, and they're in the RRHOF.

As Finnish composer Jean Sibelius once said to dismiss his critics, "Pay no attention to what the critics say. No one has ever put up a statue to a critic."

Edited by Crosschecking
spelling
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Crosschecking said:

Who cares what these unknown critics say? They will never make the kind of money Rush made during their lengthy career, nor will they ever receive any noticeable accolades. Rush has received Juno awards, they are OC officers, and they're in the RRHOF.

As Finnish composer Jean Sibelius once said to dismiss his critics, "Pay no attention to what the critics say. No one has ever put up a statue to a critic."

I don't pay attention to what critics say.  I do however pay attention to what people I know say on Facebook.  It gives me insight into the kind of people they are. This person, up until that post, had been trending in the "No need to ever see/hear anything you have to say again category."  That post sealed it.

The point in this case however was not so much what that person's opinion was, but that timing in which that person decided to share it and when questioned about it decided to double and triple down in the comments (by the time I saw it).  

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/11/2020 at 3:52 PM, Zamboni said:

Exactly. I’m not the biggest Rush fan. I like maybe 5-7 of their songs. But my god they are super talented and incredible musicians.

Rush was one of my favorite bands when I was growing up.  To me they ceased to exist after Moving Pictures; I think that their music after that is virtually unlistenable.  Still, Neil Peart was an incredible musician, and just because the band's musical tastes and mine parted ways in the early 80s doesn't change that.  They did stuff with music that literally no other band did.

Neil Peart will be missed.

By the way, I mostly listened to the music and knew very little about the band members. I watched RUSH: Beyond the Lighted Stage on Netflix last night.... recommend it to anyone who's a fan of the band.

• Thanks (+1) 1

On 1/11/2020 at 4:40 PM, Claude_Verret said:

Late to this. I should have stopped in before now.

I'm included among one of the precise demographics to which Rush's music intensely appealed. I came in right around Moving Pictures, so maybe a wee bit on the younger side (midway point?) of the fandom. I listened to that album so many times that it is burned into my memory banks. I have a deep affection for the band, the members, the music, the lyrics, etc.

And it's a fair and valid point: Like them or not (and you are free not to like them for many reasons), you cannot deny their virtuosity and influence. Those are objective facts.

I also want to say that, in the wake of Peart's death, someone posted a video of an interview Geddy gave about his parents' surviving the Holocaust. Which, damn. I did not know. There was an article linked to that interview, in which the writer talked about how both Lee and ... Lifeson maybe? were sons of immigrants. And that that dynamic - of other-ness - was a huge influence on the band. It gave a whole different light to, say, the angst of Subdivisions. Which, standing alone, is a powerful ode to alienation in the modern western world.

Finally, I forgot about and love these clips (which accompanied a concert tour I never saw):

On 1/12/2020 at 7:10 PM, Doohickie said:

Rush was one of my favorite bands when I was growing up.  To me they ceased to exist after Moving Pictures; I think that their music after that is virtually unlistenable.  Still, Neil Peart was an incredible musician, and just because the band's musical tastes and mine parted ways in the early 80s doesn't change that.  They did stuff with music that literally no other band did.

Neil Peart will be missed.

By the way, I mostly listened to the music and knew very little about the band members. I watched RUSH: Beyond the Lighted Stage on Netflix last night.... recommend it to anyone who's a fan of the band.

Appreciate the Netflix recommendation.   Took a little while to find the time.  Thoroughly enjoyed the documentary.