The Music Thread

darksabre

6 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

And what field is that?  I've never heard of them.

Um, I'm shocked that you've never heard of them. They are considered to be Death Metal legends.The original lineup was all from Buffalo. They were in Ace Ventura: Pet Detective.

BTW, one of their guitarists, Rob Barrett, is a diehard Sabres fan.

2 hours ago, Crosschecking said:

Um, I'm shocked that you've never heard of them. They are considered to be Death Metal legends.The original lineup was all from Buffalo. They were in Ace Ventura: Pet Detective.

Yep. CC and Baphomet were neck and neck for a couple years in the Buffalo metal scene, then CC took off, and Baphomet plateaued. Then Baphomet had to change their name. 

Edited by Zamboni

36 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

Yep. CC and Baphomet were neck and neck for a couple years in the Buffalo metal scene, then CC took off, and Baphomet plateaued. Then Baphomet had to change their name. 

I've watched the Centuries of Torment video. Very humble beginnings indeed. Even Alex Webster said at the beginning that he couldn't believe how far they'd gone.

We all know that many bands struggle to get a record deal - only to never get one. Theirs literally fell in their lap.

4 hours ago, Crosschecking said:

Don't listen to death metal, never watched Ace Ventura. And if they're from Buffalo they should all be Sabres fans.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Don't listen to death metal, never watched Ace Ventura. And if they're from Buffalo they should all be Sabres fans.

They've had some lineup changes over the years. Plus, now they're based out of Tampa, thanks to the metal scene down there.

2 hours ago, Zamboni said:

I've never heard of the band Baphomet. Some of the guys I knew in high school tried to start bands, but I hadn't heard anything since over 30 years ago.

12 hours ago, Doohickie said:

I could see the case for all them to be in the HOF, but still not Boston, Foreigner or Styx.

Joan Jett and Pat Benetar are probably the weakest musically but deserve a spot because of their contributions to the industry as women.

Agree 100% with Kansas, but here's what's on my mind.  They're getting to the point of return to get in.  Guess we'll just have to hold on and hope for a miracle out of nowhere and they break through the wall to get into the HOF before we're all dust in the wind..  

Edited by Tondas
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Crosschecking said:

I've never heard of the band Baphomet. Some of the guys I knew in high school tried to start bands, but I hadn't heard anything since over 30 years ago.

In the late 80’s and early 90’s I was in a couple punk/hardcore bands. I was heavy into that scene and had a general knowledge of the metal scene too. 
What high school?

51 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

In the late 80’s and early 90’s I was in a couple punk/hardcore bands. I was heavy into that scene and had a general knowledge of the metal scene too. 
What high school?

Pioneer. One of the bands wanted to call themselves Witchcraft. Not sure about the other.

2 hours ago, Tondas said:

Agree 100% with Kansas, but here's what's on my mind.  They're getting to the point of return to get in.  Guess we'll just have to hold on and hope for a miracle out of nowhere and they break through the wall to get into the HOF before we're all dust in the wind..  

I see what you did there. Carry on, wayward son.

Edited by Crosschecking
addendum
  • Like (+1) 1

Statement from the band.

It is with broken hearts and the deepest sadness that we must share the terrible news that on Tuesday our friend, soul brother and band mate of over 45 years, Neil, has lost his incredibly brave three and a half year battle with brain cancer (Glioblastoma). We ask that friends, fans, and media alike understandably respect the family’s need for privacy and peace at this extremely painful and difficult time. Those wishing to express their condolences can choose a cancer research group or charity of their choice and make a donation in Neil Peart's name.

Rest in peace brother.

Neil Peart   September 12, 1952 - January 7, 2020

• Sad 2

Rush. One of my favorites.

One of the few concerts I went to in the Aud. I was young. They sounded great. Sure some of  it was youthful enthusiasm, but I also didn't know how bad the acoustics where in that place.

They set the standard for the rest of my life for how good a band should sound live. They set the bar high.

God speed Mr. Peart.