The Music Thread

darksabre

2 hours ago, darksabre said:

I went to Speaker Shop today to see what the hell is going on in the world of HiFi and they blew my mind. I'm ruined. 

Got this amp or my son's acoustic Seagull for his birthday: https://duckduckgo.com/?q=amps+for+acoustic+guitars+fishman+for+seagull&t=iphone&iar=images&iax=images&ia=images&iai=http%3A%2F%2Fmedia.guitarcenter.com%2Fis%2Fimage%2FMMGS7%2FPROLBX500-Loudbox-Mini-Acoustic-Guitar-Combo-Amp%2F000000113116608-00-500x500.jpg

@SABRES 0311-inspired. (and it's probably been done in this thread already, but... it's summer of 2019 now). Best road-trip music?

Obviously, I'd say Star Wars sound tracks back-to-back-to-back. And yes, I have done this once many years ago. It wasn't as much music at the time and the scenery slid right on by.

A personal favorite...  my car's aux jack died so no iPod for a cross-country adventure. So I stopped in at used CD stores along the way, plus one album I found online for much cheaper than it should have been: 87' Laments -- a live Prince album from the Sign o the Times tour. Delicious while driving.

Edit: After my lengthy entry.  What's everyone's best road trip album/track?

Edited by DarthEbriate

48 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

@SABRES 0311-inspired. (and it's probably been done in this thread already, but... it's summer of 2019 now). Best road-trip music?

Obviously, I'd say Star Wars sound tracks back-to-back-to-back. And yes, I have done this once many years ago. It wasn't as much music at the time and the scenery slid right on by.

A personal favorite...  my car's aux jack died so no iPod for a cross-country adventure. So I stopped in at used CD stores along the way, plus one album I found online for much cheaper than it should have been: 87' Laments -- a live Prince album from the Sign o the Times tour. Delicious while driving.

Edit: After my lengthy entry.  What's everyone's best road trip album/track?

Hmm, it depends on the road trip. 

Am I kicking off a back roads cruise with a hot cup of coffee? Cosmo's Factory (CCR), Fillmore East (Allman Bros), City to City (Gerry Rafferty) 

Am I blizting the highway back from Toronto after a concert? Invaders Must Die (The Prodigy), In Silico (Pendulum), Hellbilly Deluxe (Rob Zombie)

Am I out of a casual starlit cruise? Stadium Arcadium (RHCP), Dreamrider (Lazerhawk), All Bruce Springsteen, Let's Dance (Bowie), Frampton Comes Alive!

I need a ready supply of a wide range of music if I'm road tripping.

Edited by darksabre
  • Like (+1) 1

On 6/24/2019 at 11:45 PM, SwampD said:

If anyone is in NT in August, come see us play.

Get your tickets early. I think we’re going to sell out.

B8866914-91FD-45F0-B6BC-E45D7244E88D.jpeg

https://m.facebook.com/beforethecalmband/

Well, we sold out.

If anyone is still interested in seeing us, lemme know via PM. If we get enough responses we're going to ask the venue if we can add a Friday night show.

2 hours ago, SwampD said:

Well, we sold out.

If anyone is still interested in seeing us, lemme know via PM. If we get enough responses we're going to ask the venue if we can add a Friday night show.

Oh snap.  PPM inbound.

Aaaaaaand you have another "following" now.  I figured we'd all chat about this as it got closer and I'd show up, go in, and listen to tunes.  Tickets and a sell out?  Respect, man.

Edited by Weave
  • Like (+1) 2

On 7/15/2019 at 6:45 PM, Weave said:

Oh snap.  PPM inbound.

Aaaaaaand you have another "following" now.  I figured we'd all chat about this as it got closer and I'd show up, go in, and listen to tunes.  Tickets and a sell out?  Respect, man.

We’re playing in Youngstown on Friday the 16th.

Beautiful spot. Outdoor event. 

I know it’s a long drive. Hope you came make it. Hope anyone can make it.

https://m.facebook.com/events/349082589325618

It says 6 but we have two 40ish minute sets starting at 7:30. Sunset is during the break and done by 9.

Edited by SwampD

5 hours ago, SwampD said:

We’re playing in Youngstown on Friday the 16th.

Beautiful spot. Outdoor event. 

I know it’s a long drive. Hope you came make it. Hope anyone can make it.

https://m.facebook.com/events/349082589325618

It says 6 but we have two 40ish munitions sets starting at 7:30. Sunset is during the break and done by 9.

I've actually been to the Stone Jug before.  A looooong, looong time ago.

I am going to try to make this, but it is a substantial drive from work.

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/18/2019 at 12:38 AM, New Scotland (NS) said:

No words needed ...

I would have paid a lot of $ to see Mick and Joe play this fantastic tune together.

@jsb, why the confusion thingie?

Mick Jones and Joe Strummer worked together on a number of the songs on the BAD second album.  V Thirteen was only released (as far as I know) by BAD.

EDIT TO ADD:

With so many of the songs on the 10 Upping Street album written by Jones and Strummer I often think of it as an unofficial Clash final album.  Maybe @Sabel79 could back me up on this?

Edited by New Scotland (NS)
to add more poop ...

• 1 month later...
On 8/28/2019 at 12:55 AM, SwampD said:

The brand new Taylor Swift sounds a lot like 15 year old Metric.

Not sure who/what that is. My resident Swifties had fallen out with her over Reputation, but are swearing their allegiance anew over the new album. I haven't listened to it (I, of course, know about the "calm down" song), but the title track has a cool, languid, spare, smolder-y vibe.

Taylor Swift is an artist with which I have tried, time and again, to find a foothold. The new album may be her best one so far, though it's still not quite good enough for me. It feels like her popularity is preventing her from realizing her full potential. She has the platform to be bold and daring, and chooses not to do so. She's still too safe.

Part of me feels/hopes that we'll get the real Taylor Swift over the next decade as she moves through her 30s. With any luck there's a Gillian Welch in there dying to get out.

I've pushed The Regrettes here before and they have a new album out right now too and it's better than anything Taylor Swift has done to date. Lydia Knight is on her way to a much more meaningful music career, in my opinion of course. 

Also, @That Aud Smell, you should give Metric a listen. They're very good.

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/4/2019 at 11:38 PM, SwampD said:

This is my band. Hope you like.

Good lord. That's good stuff. I have to admit, I found myself thinking about how much you guys must have to practice to get that all together and then keep it that way. 

On 9/5/2019 at 8:41 AM, New Scotland (NS) said:

You guys are very good, very talented.

I definitely hear a good mix of late 60's and early 70's Genensis and King Crimson in this tune.

Crimson for sure. Genesis, I'm less sure (although they did have some stuff like this).

Shifting gears. Had an old friend mention, in passing, how a song we were listening to (virtually listening to together; dude lives out west) reminded him of Wichita Lineman. I was like "what song's that?" He sent me a selfie where he was looking at me as though we had never met before. And so began a deep dive into one of the greatest pop songs ever written. Holy sh1t. Made popular by Glen Campbell, written (for him) by Jimmy Webb:

39 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Shifting gears. Had an old friend mention, in passing, how a song we were listening to (virtually listening to together; dude lives out west) reminded him of Wichita Lineman. I was like "what song's that?" He sent me a selfie where he was looking at me as though we had never met before. And so began a deep dive into one of the greatest pop songs ever written. Holy sh1t. Made popular by Glen Campbell, written (for him) by Jimmy Webb:

My Dad is downsizing prior to selling his house and was about to dump his old record collection.

Grabbed this along with some Roy Orbison.

• Like (+1) 1