The Music Thread

darksabre

1 hour ago, That Aud Smell said:

Devo was formed in 1973, which was several years before the Sex Pistols became a phenomenon. The band recorded this song in or around 1974. It still sounds like it came from outer space, or somewhere not of this earth.

Taste in music is inherently subjective, so there's little use in debating preferences. 

But, as for music that came from the punk scene, if you can't still spin London Calling (not really punk, I admit) and feel moved or inspired, I'm not sure what to say.

Thanks for the info.  My first brush with Devo was "Q: Are We Not Men? A: We Are Devo!" in 1978.  I will stream that track from '74 later tonight.   I had no idea they had any earlier releases.   

Oh BTW, I can still spin The Clash, no problem.

cheers, Punch

• Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

Devo was formed in 1973, which was several years before the Sex Pistols became a phenomenon. The band recorded this song in or around 1974. It still sounds like it came from outer space, or somewhere not of this earth.

Taste in music is inherently subjective, so there's little use in debating preferences. 

But, as for music that came from the punk scene, if you can't still spin London Calling (not really punk, I admit) and feel moved or inspired, I'm not sure what to say.

Both ...

I bought this record in 1970, heard songs from it all summer on the radio so I got it right before the start of 7th grade.  You old dudes might notice it is on the original Blue Fantasy label.  It is packed with hits and FM staples.  Still plays nicely. I think this record is one that helps define American Rock of that period quite well. 

CFA0EBD3-FC09-4B6D-925C-CBFEA40522E3.thumb.jpeg.a3331ffee680f3cbce387a1d24ead943.jpeg

E6C610BC-A69B-46AD-8967-79F712374F0A.thumb.jpeg.c572852e00129dea8033b3a76c17608e.jpeg

C228024C-66DA-4CC1-9AD6-12D7B436F6C1.thumb.jpeg.d4754d2c48572a42640e31e982b68a0d.jpeg

The Sabres were a team by then but had not played a regular season game yet. 

By wintertime in the 7th grade all my class subject folders where covered with my art  doodlings of guitars and the Buffalo Sabres logo.  

Edited by Pimlach

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/25/2019 at 10:34 PM, Pimlach said:

I bought this record in 1970, heard songs from it all summer on the radio so I got it right before the start of 7th grade.  You old dudes might notice it is on the original Blue Fantasy label.  It is packed with hits and FM staples.  Still plays nicely. I think this record is one that helps define American Rock of that period quite well. 

CFA0EBD3-FC09-4B6D-925C-CBFEA40522E3.thumb.jpeg.a3331ffee680f3cbce387a1d24ead943.jpeg

E6C610BC-A69B-46AD-8967-79F712374F0A.thumb.jpeg.c572852e00129dea8033b3a76c17608e.jpeg

C228024C-66DA-4CC1-9AD6-12D7B436F6C1.thumb.jpeg.d4754d2c48572a42640e31e982b68a0d.jpeg

The Sabres were a team by then but had not played a regular season game yet. 

By wintertime in the 7th grade all my class subject folders where covered with my art  doodlings of guitars and the Buffalo Sabres logo.  

Cosmo's Factory is one of the most complete albums of all time and one of my personal favorites.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, rakish said:

You don't end up watching the Sabres without carrying a little baggage. I grew up on Walck Road right where it bends between Payne and Nash.

How do you not know about the Riviera Theater?  Been there forever.

6 hours ago, Weave said:

How do you not know about the Riviera Theater?  Been there forever.

I wish we were playing there. Filling 1100 seats would be a tall order for a band nobody has ever heard of, though.????

Edited by SwampD

1 hour ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

@jsb, in my opinion your 'meh' reaction to my London Calling post is a banable offense, no offense.

Second best album of all time, in my opinion.  Second only to the fantastic Sandinista.

Rush Chronicles ranks ahead of both imo

Also a couple Zepplin Albums including In thru the Out Door. 

My nephew’s super into this guy, Mike Posner. 

This is his latest video - released today.

He’s in the midst of walking across the country - releasing a new song whenever he crosses a state line. He’s got a slick ass website documenting his trek.

I think he might be brilliant.

• Thanks (+1) 1