The Music Thread

darksabre

7 hours ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

I agree @Taro T, 5 is really tough ... so many, but not really thinking long and hard may make it easier in a way.

So, in a particular order ...

5.)  Genesis - The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway

4.)  The Allman Brothers Band - Live at Fillmore East

3.)  Bob Marley - Exodus

2.)  Pink Floyd -  Meddle (their finest collaborative work before the creative domination of Waters by Wish You Were Here, which is a very good album)

1.)  The Clash - Sandinista (shout out to @Sabel79)

... 'and there you have it'

Came very close to putting Meddle on the list as the Pink Floyd album.  Echoes is truly a masterpiece.  

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/7/2019 at 9:55 AM, LTS said:

I believe that.  Queen has many excellent songs, but overall the albums also have clunkers.  Mind you I don't know that I could tell you the songs on each one anymore. I basically just playlist the songs I want to hear and stop thinking about albums these days.  Also, having "compilation" albums is a bit of a help, but i would exclude those....  if I had to think about my list.. which I figure I should...

Porcupine Tree - The Incident (Steven Wilson is incredible and has a ton of great songs, but this one concept album I think captures so many facets of his talent it's what I would pick)

Pink Floyd - The Wall  (it's probably not their greatest, but the impact it had on me is why it ranks in my top 5)

Miles Davis - ***** Brew (put this on and float away)

REM - Fables of the Reconstruction (and torn with Murmur or Reckoning)

Metallica - Master of Puppets (although I'm torn between this and ...And Justice For All or Ride the Lightning)

There are others....

The problem with Peter Gabriel is that, like Queen, there are some songs on each album that I just don't like and other songs that I think are some of the best things I could ever listen to so it kind of averages it down.  This is true for others as well I think

Is The Incident an album or a song? I couldn’t find it anywhere. 

Love me some Steven Wilson. (And I mean in the uncomfortable deleted Hottest NHL Players thread kinda way).

13 hours ago, SwampD said:

Is The Incident an album or a song? I couldn’t find it anywhere. 

Love me some Steven Wilson. (And I mean in the uncomfortable deleted Hottest NHL Players thread kinda way).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Incident_(album)

It's a two CD concept album.  I saw them at Town Ballroom when they released this and did the full album.  Unbelievable show.

Steven Wilson is far and away my favorite musical talent, from what he creates to his influence on production with other bands, and his remixes he's done.  He remixed a ton of Yes songs recently I don't think they ever sounded better.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, LTS said:

It's a two CD concept album.  I saw them at Town Ballroom when they released this and did the full album.  Unbelievable show.

Steven Wilson is far and away my favorite musical talent, from what he creates to his influence on production with other bands, and his remixes he's done.  He remixed a ton of Yes songs recently I don't think they ever sounded better.

Ah, gottit. Tidal only offers the live version, Octane Twisted.

Definitely going to get inside that tonight.

3 hours ago, LTS said:

I saw Steven Wilson in Chapel Hill last month.  That show and the one time I saw Porcupine Tree are without question in my top 5 concerts of all time.

His 5.1 mixes are indeed without peer.  He mixed the 5.1 surround for Rush's Hemispheres 40th anniversary.  Unfortunately I haven't heard it yet since you can only get it as part of the super deluxe package with the vinyl and a bunch of other stuff I'm not interested in, especially at $130.

Edited by Claude_Verret
  • Like (+1) 1

I've been getting into Devin Townsend over the past few years, he can probably be safely be tabbed as progressive metal for the most part.  Recently I stumbled into this side project that he did a few years back called Casualties of Cool. It's most definitely not progressive metal. Devin himself described it as haunted Johnny Cash songs.  Great stuff.

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/7/2019 at 1:12 PM, Taro T said:

Came very close to putting Meddle on the list as the Pink Floyd album.  Echoes is truly a masterpiece.  

You might like this...  just released it.  I'm halfway through.  I'm a huge fan of these two and this does not disappoint for me.

• Like (+1) 1

On 02/01/2019 at 2:09 PM, LTS said:

You might like this...  just released it.  I'm halfway through.  I'm a huge fan of these two and this does not disappoint for me.

Thanks for posting that.  Very interesting interpretation.  I've got a friend from Argentina that is a huge Spanish guitar fan; will have to mention this to him.

Really like the 1st 6-7 minutes & the last 7-8.  Not a huge fan of the interpretation around 7-9 but will listen to it again to see if that grows on me.